Best Camera Settings

Great info, can I ask, if I am taking photos with the P3 would I not use the filters then, this is only for video.

Reactions: fhagan02
Mick, have a look at Phantomfilters.com. These come as loose filters that can be placed inside the existing UV filter and are a fraction of the price of polar pro. I have a set (which includes CP) and think that they represent great value for money. The vendor is based in Amsterdam but provides free shipping. I think that I paid something like £16 or so for a set of 5. The polarpro will beat them hands down on build quality but at the end of the day, a ND filter is ND filter. I have found more than adequate for the job, certainly until I can afford the Polarpro set. Hope that this helps.

Mick, have a look at Phantomfilters.com. These come as loose filters that can be placed inside the existing UV filter and are a fraction of the price of polar pro. I have a set (which includes CP) and think that they represent great value for money. The vendor is based in Amsterdam but provides free shipping. I think that I paid something like £16 or so for a set of 5. The polarpro will beat them hands down on build quality but at the end of the day, a ND filter is ND filter. I have found more than adequate for the job, certainly until I can afford the Polarpro set. Hope that this helps.
Thanks for that, money isnt really the problem, it was whether doing without the 16 one would suffice

Reactions: evang
Great info, can I ask, if I am taking photos with the P3 would I not use the filters then, this is only for video.
Correct. If you're only taking pictures the ND is not necessary. (Unless you're wanting to slow the shutter speed for long exposure shots of course,)

???? There's a youtube button right on the video.

Thanks, found it on the pc. I tapped and tapped and no link appeared for me on the ipad. I also searched Camera Settings Hagan and couldnt find on youtube.

Great ND filter information. I am shooting video at a resort area in China for work actually. Of course sand, water and high temperatures = overexposed video without major adjustment. Further, due to the scorching sun and no sun shade, it's literally impossible to look at the tablet screen and discern whether the video shot needs major exposure correction or not. Can you suggest an ND filter # for shooting in this type environment? Or, is it simply trial and error? Thanks for your help and please do keep posting camera tutorials! As you said, the drone is pretty much useless without being able to capture photos and videos that are pleasing to the eye.

Great ND filter information. I am shooting video at a resort area in China for work actually. Of course sand, water and high temperatures = overexposed video without major adjustment. Further, due to the scorching sun and no sun shade, it's literally impossible to look at the tablet screen and discern whether the video shot needs major exposure correction or not. Can you suggest an ND filter # for shooting in this type environment? Or, is it simply trial and error? Thanks for your help and please do keep posting camera tutorials! As you said, the drone is pretty much useless without being able to capture photos and videos that are pleasing to the eye.
It is a bit of trial and error BUT with said conditions noted above.... I'd think an ND32 could be helpful. ND16 for sure but the 32 might be required to get your shutter speed down to the 50-100 speed for best video results.

Great video, I liked the tips, will try the 2-3-2 setting. Also nice soothing voice, if you will... especially with the music lol

Great video, I liked the tips, will try the 2-3-2 setting. Also nice soothing voice, if you will... especially with the music lol
Well I guess I got that working for me. Lol. I appreciate it. From all of you actually. Takes a lot of dedication and patience to listen to my 7 minute rambling while primarily looking at a blank DJI GO screen. Thanks all for your support and kind words.

Last edited:
great video's very helpful. I am going to have a good look through some of your other video to try and learn. When shooting do you have your camera in manual mode so you have control over shutter speed and iso or do you leave that part of the camera on auto?

great video's very helpful. I am going to have a good look through some of your other video to try and learn. When shooting do you have your camera in manual mode so you have control over shutter speed and iso or do you leave that part of the camera on auto?
Thanks, fin032
I always shoot manual. Being able to control the shutter speed and ISO is critical. While in auto mode the P3 camera's shutter speed may jump as high as 1200-1500 on bright sunny days. That will produce very choppy video that's not very pleasing to the eye. I also rarely fly without an ND filter. This is also a necessity in getting the shutter speed to a manageable rate while maintaining the proper exposure.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mike Mauk and JBG
Thanks, fin032
I always shoot manual. Being able to control the shutter speed and ISO is critical. While in auto mode the P3 camera's shutter speed may jump as high as 1200-1500 on bright sunny days. That will produce very choppy video that's not very pleasing to the eye. I also rarely fly without an ND filter. This is also a necessity in getting the shutter speed to a manageable rate while maintaining the proper exposure.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I have just ordered a set of filters from PhantomFilters so looking forward to giving them ago. So the key is to keep the iso low and try and get the shutter speed to around double your frame rate with the video image also looking good. Fit the best filter to stop the video image being to bright when you have a good frame rate locked in.

Do you have any video's on your export setting you use for the P3 4k export or even down scaling to 1080p. I have Premiere Pro CC 2014 so hopefully its similar to 2015. Someone has mentioned that you can make your own presents for this.

I have a lot to learn.

. Can you suggest an ND filter # for shooting in this type environment? Or, is it simply trial and error?
It's not exactly trial and error. The camera will guide you. Put on the uv filter, set manual camera mode, choose ISO 100 and the shutter speed at twice your frame rate (ie 60 if you're shooting at 30 fps). Now look at the EV reading to see how many stops you're overexposed. Choose the ND filter that will bring it closest to 0. So if it's reading EV +3.3, choose a 3 stop filter (ND 8) to bring your EV down to 0.3.

The idea is to get your EV (exposure value) to 0 with the ISO and shutter of your choice by adjusting how much light you let in with the variable filters. The number on an ND filter is the bottom half of a fraction. An ND2 filter lets in half (1/2) the normal light... One f stop down. ND4 = 1/4 of the light, 2 stops down and so on.

Last edited:
It's not exactly trial and error. The camera will guide you. Put on the uv filter, set manual camera mode, choose ISO 100 and the shutter speed at twice your frame rate (ie 60 if you're shooting at 30 fps). Now look at the EV reading to see how many stops you're overexposed. Choose the ND filter that will bring it closest to 0. So if it's reading EV +3.3, choose a 3 stop filter (ND 8) to bring your EV down to 0.3.

The idea is to get your EV (exposure value) to 0 with the ISO and shutter of your choice by adjusting how much light you let in with the variable filters. The number on an ND filter is the bottom half of a fraction. An ND2 filter lets in half (1/2) the normal light... One f stop down. ND4 = 1/4 of the light, 2 stops down and so on.
Ditto this. Well explained.

Reactions: richardseguro

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic