Best Camera Settings

I liked the info. But I honestly did not see nicely tuned video. I'm guessing that was 1080p/30fps? I'm not a photographer and I know little when it comes to what is best for each scenario. I probably had too high of expectations. sorry!

Reactions: Michael Collins
I liked the info. But I honestly did not see nicely tuned video. I'm guessing that was 1080p/30fps? I'm not a photographer and I know little when it comes to what is best for each scenario. I probably had too high of expectations. sorry!
Thanks for the comment. Yes the actual video examples weren't graded for final as this was just about camera settings. This video is a better example of what the settings, ND filters and final color grading can produce.

Thanks Frederick ! That was very informative. I'm still testing various settings, and this might shorten my search.
You're welcome. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I tested daily for about 3 weeks, every day, video test after test, pixel peeping and retesting before finally ending with these settings. Be happy to share my findings if you're going down a certain path in your tests.

Reactions: bobomet
There ya go! Now that is...........actually above what I was expecting to see. Thanks for the clarification.
:cool:

I bought the 3 filters from Polar Pro for my Phantom 3 Pro. Circular Polarizer, 2-stop ND, and 3-Stop ND Filters. I have only used the Polarizer filter. Should I be using the ND filter instead of the Polarized? not sure whats best. I'm just learning this stuff.--thanks

Very fine video explanation. Of course I already extracted this information from you on this forum over the past couple months [emoji16][emoji16]. It's going to be great for noobs

I bought the 3 filters from Polar Pro for my Phantom 3 Pro. Circular Polarizer, 2-stop ND, and 3-Stop ND Filters. I have only used the Polarizer filter. Should I be using the ND filter instead of the Polarized? not sure whats best. I'm just learning this stuff.--thanks
In short... the ND filter is a necessity....where a polarizing filter is more of an option. Hope this helps.......

In short... the ND filter is a necessity....where a polarizing filter is more of an option. Hope this helps.......

ok thanks! so I think I will take of the Polarizer and put on a ND filter. The pack from Polar Pro has two ND filters. a 2 stop and a 3 stop. What is a good one to use? thanks!!

ok thanks! so I think I will take of the Polarizer and put on a ND filter. The pack from Polar Pro has two ND filters. a 2 stop and a 3 stop. What is a good one to use? thanks!!
An ND8 is a good all around filter. Best for early or late day light. An ND16 is more for full midday sun.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
An ND8 is a good all around filter. Best for early or late day light. An ND16 is more for full midday sun.
sorry for the dumb question but the 2 ND filters I have 3 pack filters from Polar Pro and they say one is a 2stop and the other is a 3stop. Do you know what that means? thanks!

Reactions: Dadcat
Look on the edge of the filter. It should be written there.
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 12.06.46 AM.png

Reactions: TulsaReiner
A quick tutorial illustrating optimal camera settings for shooting more professional video on your Phantom 3.

Thank you for sharing your research.. I have a question about setting white balance. Have you tried "seeing" a white card with the P3P camera and adjusting manual WB for the best white situation? Setting it at 5000k seems kind of arbitrary. The other settings you offer all have well thought out reasons.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about setting white balance using a white card.

Thank you for sharing your research.. I have a question about setting white balance. Have you tried "seeing" a white card with the P3P camera and adjusting manual WB for the best white situation? Setting it at 5000k seems kind of arbitrary. The other settings you offer all have well thought out reasons.

I'd like to hear your thoughts about setting white balance using a white card.
That's a great question. In theory using a white card would be fine. The issue with using a white card is you'd have to be close enough to take a reading. And even then...if it's sunny and then heavy clouds obscure the sun while flying the WB changes so it's not a simple easy thing. The conditions can change rapidly while flying so (after a couple hundred flights) I've found it best to get to know and memorize the Phantoms white balance sweet spots for various lighting conditions. So for me if it's full sun I know I'm safe at 5000-5600K with the P3's camera. Cloudy or overcast it's 4500-5000K. (NOTE: These Kelvin values may not "add up", value to value, against another camera. As I stated in the video, the P3 camera is good...not great... but good.) I had to approach it's WB settings as if I never had to adjust WB on another camera. Iv'e had to learn how to read the actual color temperature of the scene on my iPad when adjusting the WB.

Hope this makes sense and sorry if I rambled.

Awesome videos man, going out to shoot the river and downtown columbus tomorrow... I'll Def be putting these to use!

Reactions: fhagan02

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl