Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Best Camera for Photos

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by billnast, Nov 18, 2014.

1. billnast

Hey everyone. I enjoy doing old school photos and was wondering if anyone knows of any cameras supported by the phantom 2 non vision. Looking for something that does significantly better then go pro in terms of resolution.

Thanks and fly safe!

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Re: Best Camera for Photos

You'd be looking for something less than ~250 grams (including gimbal).
    That's a very short list.
    The Sony RX100 (first version) is probably the best lightweight camera at around 240g but a suitable gimbal would push that over the limit for a Phantom. A bigger camera requires a bigger bird.

What DJI did with the plus, stripping away all the stuff a handheld camera needs to create a lightweight aerial camera was inspired.
    I hope they continue the evolution with more models down the track.

3. MonsieurAnon

Re: Best Camera for Photos

I use a 390g Samsung NX-1100 on my Phantom 2 Vision, with a custom, 3D printed mount.

There's a range of them available, although I'd recommend keeping to below 450g of payload, because it really starts to get dicey flying around with an expensive camera underneath a Phantom that reacts slowly. A few other options that people have considered are the Sony NEX cameras, Ricoh GRs and Nikon Coolpix. I even have a prototype servo mount for the lighter ones.