Best camera for flight

Reaction score
I am an old 35mm guy and own some Nikons and with the new and bigger drones out there flying around and taking pictures and video's, what is, in your opinion, the best DSLR camera to put on a flying platform and why? My old stuff is to heavy to fly but with the new stuff out their today, I am wandering about what I should be looking at in the future to take pictures with. Thanks for you help and info.

Interesting question. A few considerations...
Weight is the big one.
Vibration will limit your focal length. (Your "tripod" is constantly vibrating.)
Viewfinder: any non-stock camera won't have a usable one.

what is, in your opinion, the best DSLR camera to put on a flying platform and why?
Life is full of compromises and nowhere more than drone photography and the biggest factor you have to compromise on is weight.
Weight is critical. Not just the weight of the camera, but the gimbal you need too.
A bigger camera needs a heavier gimbal and all this weight eats flight time.

What the Phantom 3 lacks in photographic quality, is balanced against its with ease of portability, ready to fly convenience, complete control and good flying time and range.

The best SLR is going to take great pictures but it will fly like a pig.
It will cost $10K for a suitable drone to lift it and only stay in the air for 5 minutes.
It's going to need a van to carry all the equipment and take an hour to set up.

There's no need to fly an SLR because you can't use SLR viewing up in the air so you may as well save a little weight and look at some of the mirrorless cameras.
At the moment the Sony RX100 looks like a good compromise between quality and light weight so something that can lift it and provide proper viewing and control will be interesting.
You have to decide what's important to you and how much you want to compromise.
So far I haven't been able to find anything that gives me the ease of use I've become used to and the photo quality I'd like to have.

I'm watching this one with interest:
ProDrone Introduces Ultimate Flying Platform with DSLR Capability on BYRD Drone - sUAS News
When/if it comes to the market, and if it lives up to the publicity, it might be worth a look.
But given the number of hyped drones that have taken a year or more to arrive and still failed to deliver what they promise, I'll just wait and see.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl