Best Buy Now Has 15% Restocking Fee on All Drones!

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Effective today, May 28, 2017:
IMG_2152.jpg

I guess that's because they were losing money in the returning of crashed or not working drones. That makes sense.

I guess that's because they were losing money in the returning of crashed or not working drones. That makes sense.
Foolishly, the store manager said it was because of the abuse of people buying a drone, flying it for two weeks, getting bored, and then returning it for a refund! They did not want to be in the free drone rental business. Apparently, they don't realize all the manufacturing defects and bugs that are inherent in any mass produced drone, resulting in a very high return rate. Oddly, according to the internal BB manager guidelines, as long as the drone is still defective in some way, you may still return it without a restocking fee, or exchange it, but not if you just changed your mind, unless still in the unopened, sealed box.

Reactions: PapiGordo
Foolishly, the store manager said it was because of the abuse of people buying a drone, flying it for two weeks, getting bored, and then returning it for a refund! They did not want to be in the free drone rental business. Apparently, they don't realize all the manufacturing defects and bugs that are inherent in any mass produced drone, resulting in a very high return rate. Oddly, according to the internal BB manager guidelines, as long as the drone is still defective in some way, you may still return it without a restocking fee, or exchange it, but not if you just changed your mind, unless still in the unopened, sealed box.

That makes sense... that will encourage people choose the best option available, instead of testing a drone and returning the product.

Good for BB.
Other than trying to distinguish between "defective" and "bored"',
it keeps the people from test flying it and then returning it because they didn't like it.
It only drives the price up for the rest of us since BB has to eat some profit and sell it refurbished or the cost of sending it back to DJI.
I know people who return things to major retailers after a year because they got "bored" and get their money refunded
Sorry, that doesn't fly in my book. It's similar to stealing

Sorry, that doesn't fly in my book. It's similar to stealing
Not really, because sometimes the product packages comes with missing items from the factory. BB usually exchange it instead of returning money back, unless is the last item on the shelf.

Not really, because sometimes the product packages comes with missing items from the factory. BB usually exchange it instead of returning money back, unless is the last item on the shelf.
I was referring to someone using an item for a year and returning it because they got bored or didn't use it anymore

I was referring to someone using an item for a year and returning it because they got bored or didn't use it anymore
I don't think any store that I know will allow you to used a product for a year and return it. Not even Walmart. What I see is that they give you up to three months for exchange or money back.

I don't think any store that I know will allow you to used a product for a year and return it. Not even Walmart. What I see is that they give you up to three months for exchange or money back.
Costco
Actually Cycle Gear too. I don't even need a receipt. 100% satisfaction guarantee and they don't even ask why
Walmart has actually cracked down on returned goods especially electronics

I don't shop there, I hate membership in a physical store. I have already amazon prime membership. They pretty much are my all in one need store! But getting back to the point... wow, they give you an entire year and you can return it? That's crazy, not even amazon have that policy in place.

Since you asked...:rolleyes:
I think it's camping World. I know a friend that returns an rv cover every year for a new one as soon as it starts to get a tear in it.
Not sure what the warranty is but that might be considered normal wear and tear, not a defect.
For $150, I just buy a new cover since I know it won't last. I don't have time to drive around returning stuff

Since you asked...:rolleyes:
I think it's camping World. I know a friend that returns an rv cover every year for a new one as soon as it starts to get a tear in it.
Not sure what the warranty is but that might be considered normal wear and tear, not a defect.
For $150, I just buy a new cover since I know it won't last. I don't have time to drive around returning stuff

I hate returning stuff, specially if I bought it from Amazon. That's why I always check reviews first before deciding for a specific product.

I don't shop there, I hate membership in a physical store. I have already amazon prime membership. They pretty much are my all in one need store! But getting back to the point... wow, they give you an entire year and you can return it? That's crazy, not even amazon have that policy in place.
I was just looking at amazon with a P4. I know you don't have the option the return something after 30 days.

For the first 30 days from the date of your purchase, you can return merchandise for a refund or an exchange minus a minimum 15% restocking fee and shipping cost.

My brother shops Cosco and has returned all kinds of crap and not because it failed.

Reactions: macoman and Budman
I shop at Costco for all kinds of stuff. What I really like about them is their return policy. I choose not to abuse it but I know lots of others do. I have a Strong Spa (Hot Tub) which is about 5 years old and has zero issues. Before I bought it I went to their factory and took a tour of it which was pretty cool. Long story short they make a version for Costco. I was up there in Mid September, off to one side of the plant were 4-5 dozen returned hot tubs from Costco. They all worked fine, people would buy them for the summer and then return them. The Strong people were not happy and I think the rules for returns have changed

I was just looking at amazon with a P4. I know you don't have the option the return something after 30 days.

For the first 30 days from the date of your purchase, you can return merchandise for a refund or an exchange minus a minimum 15% restocking fee and shipping cost.
Amazon LLC is 30 days, but shouldn't have any restocking fee. Are you sure that isn't an Amazon Marketplace Seller, where they can set their own separate return policies?

That makes sense... that will encourage people choose the best option available, instead of testing a drone and returning the product.
Except the standard return policy at Best Buy is only 15 days. There are far more defective DJI products returned than those who are simply joy riding a Phantom for 15 days. Takes that long to just update the firmware and read the user entire manual, and set up the app, unless you already own one! Their new policy won't help with all the returns and exchanges for bad quality control at DJI, which is the vast bulk of the open box returns on the P4P's.

Reactions: macoman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen