Best App For Editing Videos

Resolve renders fine in 4K. The output module will let you define what resolution you want. The bigger problem will be figuring out what CODEC to use in 4K. What do you intend to do with your 4K video?

If you are going to a 4K tv, how will you input it? There are no players for burning 4K video. The best you can do with optical media is HD using BluRay.

On 4K tvs, what is simplest is to input into the tvs via the usb input. That is usually fast enough. You will need to encode to h264 (AVC) or h265 (HEVC). I don't off hand know if Resolve will encode using the h265 codec, but the h264 should work. My usual work flow is 4K ProRes out of Resolve, and then encode to h265 using Handbrake, which will do either h264 or h265.

Obviously I don't know much about resolve only having used it a couple days.
I downloaded it from this screen.
Resolve.jpg

The one on the right says "Get all the features of the free version plus support for multiple GPUs, 4K output, motion blur effects, temporal and spatial noise reduction, 3D tools, remote and multi user collaboration tools."

So I assumed the free version did not support 4k rendering.
There is a 4K DCI CODEC but when I try to use it I get a 2k/4k warning and it it drops the resolution before putting it in the render cue.
I could not find other 4k options.
Highest res I could render was 3840x2160 Ultra HD
Sorry if I'm wrong, or missed something.

It is great software for free.
I will play with Resolve some more.

Although I often shoot in 4k I rarely render to 4k video. Doesn't mean I don't want to have the option.
Maybe I want to upload 4k video to Vemio because I can.

I don't have a Blue Rey player or a 4k TV.

Corel Video Studio comes with 4K codecs

I'm happy with what I have. I'm just curious and like to check out different software.
Sorry if I offended any Resolve users.

I think "Resolve 12.5.1 Studio" is their paid version? It might unlock to a full version easier later on if you buy it..maybe?

They had some half-off retail price sale in the Apple Store for their iOS version (Probably to compete with the Final Cut Pro price which is Apple only), but not the Windows one which is still around $1000 or so. I don't know if it goes on sale for Windows either, but it seems it does a lot.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
For all intents and purposes, the 3840x2160 is the same as the DCI 4K. The DCI 4k is only compatible with Digital Cinema projectors used in theaters. As a consequence of the licensing arrangements for the theatrical DCI 4K, you need to lay a licensing fee to encode to that flavor of 4K. All the "4K" tvs, play 3840x2160, and many play the DCI 4K as well. Unless you have a $60,000 Christe projector you are planning on using, 3840x2160 is the way to go, and all of the current professional editing programs handle it, sometimes needing a transcoding to a more edit friendly CODEC.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the only thing lacking in the free Resolve is the ability to handle 3-D footage, and perform sophisticated noise reduction on the video image. There is no way to generate 3-D video with any of the Phantoms, so that is a feature that from my perspective you can ignore. The noise reduction is completely unnecessary for normal daytime and dusk shooting. As the Phantom bumps the ISO up above 500 ISO, the noise reduction might be handy.

Yes, to quote Wikipedia: "many manufacturers may advertise their products as UHD 4K, or simply 4K, when the term 4K is traditionally reserved for the cinematic, DCI resolution. This often causes great confusion among consumers."

3840 x 2160 (16:9) 4K UHD-1, UHDTV, 2160p (Ultra-high-definition television, television and consumer media)

4096 x 2160 (256:135) 4K DCI (Digital Cinema Initiatives, movie projection industry)

I have set P3P to 3840 x 2160 because I usually output 1920x1080 which is also 16:9. I started with 4096 x 2160 but then I had to always remember to crop the footage to prevent letterboxing.

My camera shoots in 4096x2160 and my software will render in the same.
I agree with you on it's current limited use as a final render output, and I'm not saying it should be a deal breaker for someone looking at free video editing software. I was just sharing my observations.

For all intents and purposes, the 3840x2160 is the same as the DCI 4K. The DCI 4k is only compatible with Digital Cinema projectors used in theaters. As a consequence of the licensing arrangements for the theatrical DCI 4K, you need to lay a licensing fee to encode to that flavor of 4K. All the "4K" tvs, play 3840x2160, and many play the DCI 4K as well. Unless you have a $60,000 Christe projector you are planning on using, 3840x2160 is the way to go, and all of the current professional editing programs handle it, sometimes needing a transcoding to a more edit friendly CODEC..
Not trying to argue here just trying to understand.
To me 3840 is 3.8k.... does the video industry work like the motorcycle industry where 989cc is considered 1000cc motorcycle in their advertising?
I don't need a $60,000 Christie projector or anything other than what I have to post 4k (4096x2160) video to Vimeo.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the only thing lacking in the free Resolve is the ability to handle 3-D footage, and perform sophisticated noise reduction on the video image. The noise reduction is completely unnecessary for normal daytime and dusk shooting. As the Phantom bumps the ISO up above 500 ISO, the noise reduction might be handy.
and, multiple GPUs, 4K output, motion blur effects, temporal and spatial noise reduction (guess this is what you are referring to as sophisticated noise reduction-MD), remote and multi user collaboration tools.
From Resolves website.

There is no way to generate 3-D video with any of the Phantoms, so that is a feature that from my perspective you can ignore.
I present to you 3d video shot from a Phantom 1 in 2013.... make sure you wear you 3d glasses when you watch it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My camera shoots in 4096x2160 and my software will render in the same.
I agree with you on it's current limited use as a final render output, and I'm not saying it should be a deal breaker for someone looking at free video editing software. I was just sharing my observations.

Not trying to argue here just trying to understand.
To me 3840 is 3.8k.... does the video industry work like the motorcycle industry where 989cc is considered 1000cc motorcycle in their advertising?
I don't need a $60,000 Christie projector or anything other than what I have to post 4k (4096x2160) video to Vimeo.

and, multiple GPUs, 4K output, motion blur effects, temporal and spatial noise reduction (guess this is what you are referring to as sophisticated noise reduction-MD), remote and multi user collaboration tools.
From Resolves website.

I present to you 3d video shot from a Phantom 1 in 2013.... make sure you wear you 3d glasses when you watch it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Or it might be 4K is 4 times 1080, 3840 is them twice the horizontal resolution (same applies vertically).

Reactions: Mike_Flys

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers