Best angle for radio signals

Reaction score
Went out last night and had no problem getting to 600' in an open field.

Today, kept losing control signals at 300' as I was in the city and was virtually right under the bird. So I assume this is not only due to the buildings around me, be also being directly under it. So, my question is.... what's the optimum 'angle' to be (bird, pilot & horizon) for best radio signals?

I tried adjusting the antenna every which way but loose, still kept losing control signal at ~350 feet.

I 'get' the idea of moving away.............

My question is.........

How far?

You may also want to consider the noise floor. Some city areas can be pretty noisy. Combine being right under it with a noisy environment and that would explain why you lose conx at 350'.

BTW, you may want to consider not going above 350' especially in an urban environment. You can easily encounter other air traffic at that altitude.

ianwood said:
..........BTW, you may want to consider not going above 350' especially in an urban environment. You can easily encounter other air traffic at that altitude.

Unlikely since there's a dozen buildings that exceed within 10 blocks. If something hits me, I'll be the least of their worries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20