Best android phone for Vision+?

Pim

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any difference in video signal quality with a cheap or expensive android phone?

On the Dji website there are recommended phones:

iOS recommended: iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPod touch 4, iPod touch 5 (available but not recommended: iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini)
Android recommended: Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2, Note 3 or phones of similar configuration
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec

Will a $150 android phone work just as well as a $500 phone, or could there be a difference in the signal quality?

I have tested on a S5 and S4 both are very stable and good playback
if it is super sunny then sometimes glare is the issue.
I have also tested on a $50 android from Bangkok and tho it was slow it worked just as well.
I use my S4 99% of the time
Good luck

My Galaxy S3 running android 4.3 works great with no lag or loss at 2100ft with V+Boooster app, not ventured out any further yet. Only works up to 640x480 15fps preview though as the 30fps lags and freezes beyond 30ft.
UKFlyer

Get a 10" HP Touchpad rooted with Android 4. Great picture and obtainable for about $100.

I've used an S3, S5 and LG g2, with no obvious differences between them. I'd think since you're only connecting to the repeater that is inches away, 'newer' wifi wouldn't really matter. Pick one with a nice bright screen!

If you are going to use an android phone, the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is the best IMO. Because it is by far the largest screen available for a phone which translates to best FPV. I would say a close second is the new Galaxy S5 as the screen size on it is just a bit smaller than the Note 3 but larger than the S3 or S4.

Carey said:
Get a 10" HP Touchpad rooted with Android 4. Great picture and obtainable for about $100.
Just dug mine outta the closet.

Does this work? Man, that would be awesome

Testing tonight!

To answer the original question.. cheap vs expensive ... processing power and ram may be an issue with cheaper model phones... If you can get your hands on somethin with quad core and 2GB of RAM you will be doing yourself a huge favor... If you gadda go cheap... get something that can be rooted and cleaned out so there aren't many apps hogging resources and the device can focus on running the Vision app.

UKFlyer said:
My Galaxy S3 running android 4.3 works great with no lag or loss at 2100ft with V+Boooster app, not ventured out any further yet. Only works up to 640x480 15fps preview though as the 30fps lags and freezes beyond 30ft.
UKFlyer

Since all the new updates i got out to 2200ft distance on the 640x480 30fps with no lag at all and worked flawlessly, never been able to use the highest preview setting before. The connection was still solid but decided to turn back as not been out much further. :D

We are planning to order a Vision 2 plus system and there is discussion re: the best phone or tablet to buy. Tablets allow other field tasks (like data entry) but are they workable for the Phantom?

One operator has spoken well of the Samsung Note 3 due to good brightness.

The Galaxy S5 is really good in the sun, not perfect but you can still see it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.