Best amplifiers? 2w 3w 4w 5w, can there be too much power?

Reaction score
I am looking at buying some amplifiers to boost my wifi antenna mod I did last week. One concern I had was how powerful the amps should be. It is easy to say the more power the better but I wonder of anything over X watts is wasted or creates too much noise that offset gains, etc. Another factor I thought of is if I boost my control power too much will that interfere with the video coming back?? I was thinking of getting some 4w and 5w boosters I found online like these:

New 5W 2.4GHz Wifi Wireless Broadband Amplifier Extender Range Signal Booster DC

I found black ones that look like this everywhere and most are sold as 4 watt but that ad shows them as 5 watt. They may all be 4 watt after all.

Then there are these 5 watt ones pretty cheap on Alibaba and other places.

Alibaba Manufacturer Directory - Suppliers, Manufacturers, Exporters & Importers 

You might also consider power needs/input when selecting an amp.

I read a few people that had used both 2w and 3w Sunhans and stated the effective range was the same. I ended up going with the 3W gold Sunhans amps since they could be powered by an Anker power bank with dual 5v 2a outputs. This was easier for me than the blue 12v lipo packs most people/vendors use in their setups. The Anker pack can be charged with any micro usb cell phone charger and I don't have to carry around another charger.

The 3W Sunhans are still new and expensive but I like the status LED and they have more range than I have battery.

Good luck.

I actually have a 12v battery I can use so the 5v thing is not as important to me. I may just end up getting those 4watt ones. Does anyone else have input on frequencies and interference of the two antennas with larger amps, etc.?

Not being a spoiler, but the max legal power in 2.4 ghz ISM band via FCC Part 15 is 1 watt. If you have a amateur radio license the max power is considerably more. You are responsible for any harmful interference you may cause to any wireless system. Yes they sell systems which are illegal to operate, its up to the user to comply with FCC regulations.

Reactions: dmagnus and N017RW
Not being a spoiler, but the max legal power in 2.4 ghz ISM band via FCC Part 15 is 1 watt. If you have a amateur radio license the max power is considerably more. You are responsible for any harmful interference you may cause to any wireless system. Yes they sell systems which are illegal to operate, its up to the user to comply with FCC regulations.

Bahahahahaha,

It's also illegal to speed, cross the street without a cross walk....

Kind of like using a linear amplifier back in the day... illegal ... yes.... prosecuted.... no

There's still a law here in Texas that makes it illegal to park your horse at business and not tie it down.

Reactions: Keniff443
I went ahead and already ordered a pair of these 4 watt ones. Knowing eBay and Chinese made parts they may be over rated anyway. Plus 4 watts is rated at the highest input signal and the P3 is not going to sending a powerful signal to be amplified.

Attachments

• 1459105332856.jpg
    1459105332856.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 817
Last edited:
Maxwell what components did you use? Did you make the bracket that holds them?

These 2 Watt thing, give me head hakes, I use to own one, and stopped using them because of that issue.

All the desire and freely available illegal amps, You have no idea the RF exposure of non-ionising radiation to you and others around you. There is a reason why residential Wifi routers are low power... mitigate uncontrolled exposure to Radio Frequency Radiation. children are at the greatest risk as their bodies absorb more RF

I understand, but something to consider is that the rated power of these amps is with maximum input power and the ratings are probably generously overstated. I have kids and my wifi router is on 24/7 in my house so I want it to be low power. My phantom controller will be somewhat directional and I will be using it outside for 20 minutes at the very most.

I understand, but something to consider is that the rated power of these amps is with maximum input power and the ratings are probably generously overstated. I have kids and my wifi router is on 24/7 in my house so I want it to be low power. My phantom controller will be somewhat directional and I will be using it outside for 20 minutes at the very most.

They are rated at 3w but do they actually put out 3w? I have a feeling it's a lot lower.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers