Best Aerial?

Reaction score
Okay if you don't know by now i get a serious buzz out of flying long distances. The furthest I've been is 2500 km out,still I want more!

I have a phantom 2. With 5.8 GHz FPV. Monitor I'm using is the black pearl vonista. I have a immersion 600 mW transmitter, on the transmitter I have a spironet antenna.
On the receiver/lcd i have another spironet and on the other side a fat shark patch antenna.

Now the problem that I am having is after 1800 km the Signal for video is really bad! keeps coming in and out. I have read online that this set up should be good to do 6 km,somehow I don't see this. If anybody else is also using a similar set up please let me know your feedback on how you are getting along.

The area I am flying in is urban area but I am at a high vantage point and have a clear line of sight with the bird.

I have tried several runs with different orientations and most is 2.5km. My conclusion I felt was that patch antenna is very directional and hard to aim, I think it's something like 30°? Either is that or something I'm doing wrong? Does changing the channels really help?

I spoke to FPV horizons in the uk today, he obviously tried to sell me his product and said it would be much better. He said that my problem is I am using a patch antenna, which works in something call linear? He said I need some thing Circular polarised.

So I am thinking of buying a blackhawk 5 turn helical and ditching the patch. Also changing the transmitter aerial to nimrod, he said that these will be both tuned and matched up and we both circular polarised.
So am going from 13 dbi gain to 9dbi, but it would be less directional.

Your thoughts guys and advice please on getting the most distance and is it worth the money changing.

Oh i must add he got 4km on the aerials he recommended with a 200mw transmitter!!!

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/blackhawk-micro-5-8-ghz-9-dbi-set-with-nimrod-rhcp-gold/

Watch the video in the link above^

Last edited:
Black pearl monitor has a diversity receivers. FYI, spironet is a CIR polarizer antenna.

For the patch antenna to work best, you have to point it towards your quad, since patch antenna is directional.

One more thing for long range flight. Watch out for your radio range. You may run into your radio is out of range before your Video feed.

Okay if you don't know by now i get a serious buzz out of flying long distances. The furthest I've been is 2500 km out,still I want more!

I have a phantom 2. With 5.8 GHz FPV. Monitor I'm using is the black pearl vonista. I have a immersion 600 mW transmitter, on the transmitter I have a spironet antenna.
On the receiver/lcd i have another spironet and on the other side a fat shark patch antenna.

Now the problem that I am having is after 1800 km the Signal for video is really bad! keeps coming in and out. I have read online that this set up should be good to do 6 km,somehow I don't see this. If anybody else is also using a similar set up please let me know your feedback on how you are getting along.

The area I am flying in is urban area but I am at a high vantage point and have a clear line of sight with the bird.

I have tried several runs with different orientations and most is 2.5km. My conclusion I felt was that patch antenna is very directional and hard to aim, I think it's something like 30°? Either is that or something I'm doing wrong? Does changing the channels really help?

I spoke to FPV horizons in the uk today, he obviously tried to sell me his product and said it would be much better. He said that my problem is I am using a patch antenna, which works in something call linear? He said I need some thing Circular polarised.

So I am thinking of buying a blackhawk 5 turn helical and ditching the patch. Also changing the transmitter aerial to nimrod, he said that these will be both tuned and matched up and we both circular polarised.

Your thoughts guys and advice please on getting the most distance and is it worth the money changing.

Oh i must add he got 4km on the aerials he recommended with a 200mw transmitter!!!

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/blackhawk-micro-5-8-ghz-9-dbi-set-with-nimrod-rhcp-gold/

2500 km out?

Can't wait to see your adventures on CAA's blotter.:D Maybe they'll even post your picture in your local postal service wall.:eek: :D

Reactions: GRCT42
Black pearl monitor has a diversity receivers. FYI, spironet is a CIR polarizer antenna.

For the patch antenna to work best, you have to point it towards your quad, since patch antenna is directional.

One more thing for long range flight. Watch out for your radio range. You may run into your radio is out of range before your Video feed.

Thanks for your reply, i am pointing the patch at the bird and Radio range is fine for now..has anybody got long range experience with these aerials then?

2.5Km is pretty impressive. Just wondered though how you mitigate risk at this distance. If it drops out of the sky and damages something or somebody, the CAA would get a bit cross, and it probably would not do the reputation of the hobby any good :(

Do you have spotters en route or something ?

I have problems keeping line of sight even within 2 or 300 meters, as soon as I look at my FPV monitor and then look back up........ gone.:eek:

2.5Km is pretty impressive. Just wondered though how you mitigate risk at this distance. If it drops out of the sky and damages something or somebody, the CAA would get a bit cross, and it probably would not do the reputation of the hobby any good :(

Do you have spotters en route or something ?

I have problems keeping line of sight even within 2 or 300 meters, as soon as I look at my FPV monitor and then look back up........ gone.:eek:

Am doing it out sea now in spain. Dont worry i wont kill anyone.

Anyone using a Nimrod with a helical?

Last edited:
He simply doesn't care about anything or anybody but himself and sooner or later he will get caught. Hopefully it will be sooner.

Yeah, but at 2500 km, it's really someone elses problem.

Jesus who am i going to harm at sea !? 45m above sea level? The birds lol?

Jesus who am I going to harm at sea!? 40m above sea level. The birds lol?

Boy, you must be soft! I own a beach house off the coast of Nikki Beach in Marbella Spain. Just want to see how far she would go.

I think The risk is just the same as you would be flying 50 m away.

As long as you got good video feed and radio control. It's the same as being 50m away.

As Long as you don't fly to high,you won't be going into any planes.

I suggest you don't fly your Phantom at all,in case it loses control and flies away and hits a plane?
if you don't have a answer to my question leave it out.
Anyways you must have bigger things to worry about surely? Do you have a alarm fitted to your car??

Last edited:
In answer to the original question you will be better off with a helical antenna as it is less susceptible to interference. The number of turns is critical, more turns mean higher gain but more directionally sensitive.

Helical in the range 3.5 to 4.5 are good normal choices with a viewing angle of about 90 degrees, if you want to go max distance then buy a second one with 8 turns for your distance challenge upto 3 miles or so..

The rc plane guys use crosshairs antennas and directional trackers and get many times that distance if you are up for it!

In answer to the original question you will be better off with a helical antenna as it is less susceptible to interference. The number of turns is critical, more turns mean higher gain but more directionally sensitive.

Helical in the range 3.5 to 4.5 are good normal choices with a viewing angle of about 90 degrees, if you want to go max distance then buy a second one with 8 turns for your distance challenge upto 3 miles or so..

The rc plane guys use crosshairs antennas and directional trackers and get many times that distance if you are up for it!

Nice one! I never knew a patch antenna would pick up more interference,is that why am struggling to get to 2.5km.
I had a lot of signal loss throughout.

Cheers hughie. Looks like I'm going to have to try one of these,see what results I get

Just to update all I have ordered a new antenna. It's going to be something very different it's helical but it's a double helical in one. So you gain angle is the same, but it increases the DBI.

I shall update you all after i receive it next week

Should be around 14 DBI. 43° angle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik