Thread closed

hwb2107 said:
Folks, I tried searching the boards for any recs on this. I'll be in a few situations where I need to do a 1-handed grab of my P2V+ while I'm on a moving piece of equipment, and shut the device down with minimal risk.

Aside from the obvious grab with 1 hand and try to get the levers in position with the other, which makes me nervous if I were to slip a finger, are there any suggested methods for the 1-handed moving grab and shutdown?

Thanks.
Dont need to use both levers. Holding the left stick in full down position for ~5 seconds will shut down the motors once you have it in your hand. And no, holding down just the left stick for any amount of time will not shut down the motors when the Phantom is at altitude/flying.

Just to reiterate what the poster above said - use the left stick ONLY for engine shut-off. If you attempt the CSC (start-up) while the bird is in your hand it could get ugly.

Personally, I hand catch when I have limited space or rough terrain with no flat spots. Be sure you are upwind from the aircraft so an unexpected sudden gust doesn't push it into you. Bring it down to roughly face level, aft end towards you (easier orientation), and put it into a hover. I hold the TX in my left hand and reach out and grab the aft starboard side leg firmly, sliding my thumb up to rest on the underside of the arm just in front of the LED port. This helps support the weight of the aircraft once you drop the stick - don't want to crack that landing gear. Once you have a good hold on it, lower the left stick to the bottom center and hold until the motors stop. Note that if you're grabbing the aft starboard leg, that's where the compass is. Don't have any ferrous metal on that hand. I haven't had a problem but play it safe - I'd hate for that compass to suddenly get confused and decide the machine should have a different attitude at that moment. Flying blenders in the face are no fun.

Now - doing this from a moving vehicle? Yikes. Not only to you have to think about wind but you'll have to match your forward speeds. This means that the aircraft props will likely have more power on them than they would in a hover. Be careful! ;)

Basically, I let it hover, snatch it out of the sky at the same time I am pulling down on the left stick. Pretty simple.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20