Bent gimble arm out of the box

Reaction score
Anyone else have this issue where the large gimble arm that connects the camera is crooked, not going straight down, this of course means pics and videos are not level. Any easy fix for this, I don't want to bend it and have it break. Funny thing is this is a replacement gimble that came off a new unit to replace by broken tilt motor on my previous gimble.

The arm is not straight up and down, tilted a bit. Would the camera compensate and level out even if the arm is not perfectly straight? Or does the arm need to be straight, it appears footage is not level.

I've never heard of a bent arm but there are many reports of gimbals that will not level. If the arm is indeed bent I would want a replacement unit. If the arm is bent I don't think the gimbal is going to correct for that.

vieks said:
Anyone else have this issue where the large gimble arm that connects the camera is crooked, not going straight down, this of course means pics and videos are not level. Any easy fix for this, I don't want to bend it and have it break. Funny thing is this is a replacement gimble that came off a new unit to replace by broken tilt motor on my previous gimble.

i have a private message for you

Mine was bent also and the footage wasn't level.

I did the following to correct this: detach the gimbal from the phantom (only detach from the rubber supports), unplug the 3 flat cable, unscrew the four little screw of the gimbal plate, then gently open everything. Remove the L arm from the yaw motor (you have to unscrew a stop screw from the L arm). With two pliers, re-bend the L arm to make it straigth. Use something between your plier and the arm (like a piece of towel) to avoid plier scratch on the aluminium arm. Remount everything. 30m job. Not complicated. The L arm is really easy to bend.

Hope that helps. Sorry for my english :roll:

Cheers

Mart

Did you get this sorted.
It appears mine isnt straight and im hesitant to unscrew it and manually bend it back.

For what it's worth, I bent my main arm badly in a crash, and have bent it back without disassembly. I am not sure it is operating as good as pre-crash, but I wanted others with a few degrees of bend to know that at least one arm has bent bent back through much more of an angle than that without breaking.

I have a new H3-3D arriving today from B&H. Very curious to see if it's new or used, bent or straight, quiet or noisy, and v1.0 or v1.1 on the camera connection. What a lottery deal...

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
For what it's worth, I bent my main arm badly in a crash, and have bent it back without disassembly. I am not sure it is operating as good as pre-crash, but I wanted others with a few degrees of bend to know that at least one arm has bent bent back through much more of an angle than that without breaking.

I have a new H3-3D arriving today from B&H. Very curious to see if it's new or used, bent or straight, quiet or noisy, and v1.0 or v1.1 on the camera connection. What a lottery deal...

Kelly

How did you bend it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been dealing with the same problem bent L arm and the steel rod that goes to the motor has broken. Anyone have a crashed camera they are willing to sale? Or know where replacement parts can be found??
[email protected]

Leighk said:
Thank you. How did you bend it back?

Mine is off by only a few degrees and the gimbal is a tricky thing to keep still when applying pressure

i put the gimbal arm in a bench vise with duct tape on the vise jaws to minimize scratching of the gimbal arm. bent the arm back via careful leverage on base plate.

Kelly

I bent my gimble arm after flying into a chain-link fence. I disconnected the camera from the copter body and removed the plate right above the gimble arm. I then used a pair of vice grips and needle nose pliers/my hand to carefully bend the arm back. It doesn't seem to be perfectly strait but it also isn't glaringly obvious that it is out of level so I am happy.

I was seriously considering selling my P2V and picking up a P2V+, but now I'm hearing a number of stories about the fragility of the camera and gimbal. Does anyone have experience with both a ZenMuse and the P2V+ gimbal? Are they similar? Or not so much?

-slinger

phover said:
Mine was bent also and the footage wasn't level.

I did the following to correct this: detach the gimbal from the phantom (only detach from the rubber supports), unplug the 3 flat cable, unscrew the four little screw of the gimbal plate, then gently open everything. Remove the L arm from the yaw motor (you have to unscrew a stop screw from the L arm). With two pliers, re-bend the L arm to make it straigth. Use something between your plier and the arm (like a piece of towel) to avoid plier scratch on the aluminium arm. Remount everything. 30m job. Not complicated. The L arm is really easy to bend.

Hope that helps. Sorry for my english :roll:

Cheers

Mart
That's all good and well, but the point is it shouldn't be bent out of the box. It didn't get bent in the box, which means it must have been bent when they put it in the box... Where's the quality control???

gunslinger said:
I was seriously considering selling my P2V and picking up a P2V+, but now I'm hearing a number of stories about the fragility of the camera and gimbal. Does anyone have experience with both a ZenMuse and the P2V+ gimbal? Are they similar? Or not so much?

-slinger

I had a PV2 and went to the +. If you want my opinion? Unless you have a requirement for pro quality videos, keep the non + model and take advantage of the post editing stabilization features in software to make your vids stable. If you need additional flying range the FPVLR antennas are really getting the job done. Need further range? Suhans amplifier for FPV.

The arm of my P2V+ gimbal is bent after a recent crash and the camera has become tilted. Should I bend it back by force? Alternatively, is there a way to re-calibrate the gimbal to correct for the tilt? Look forward to any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1A.jpg
    photo 1A.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 822
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 841
bitterjam said:
The arm of my P2V+ gimbal is bent after a recent crash and the camera has become tilted. Should I bend it back by force? Alternatively, is there a way to re-calibrate the gimbal to correct for the tilt? Look forward to any advice. Thanks!

I had the exact same thing happen to me which I talk about in a post a few above your's. I didn't have luck finding a way to re calibrate/compensate for the bend in the arm so I just took it apart some and bent it back. I slowly got it back pretty much to where it was after using a combination of my hand, vise grips and needle nose pliers. I put tape on the pliers as to mar the aluminum arm as little as possible. I am happy with the results, a virtually strait arm again, slight scratches on arm from pliers and NOT having to wait weeks/months do deal with DJI to help me out. Good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj