Bent carbon fiber prop

Reaction score
I figured it would happen with my luck
I recently got a set of maytech carbon fiber props and clipped a tree limb on the first flight with them

Ending up with the phantom flipping and landing on its top bending one of the props

They are great props just feel bad that I bent one

Is it possible it can be straghtened out???

I would hate to have to buy another pair to replace the bent one :(

general01 said:
I figured it would happen with my luck
I recently got a set of maytech carbon fiber props and clipped a tree limb on the first flight with them

Ending up with the phantom flipping and landing on its top bending one of the props

They are great props just feel bad that I bent one

Is it possible it can be straghtened out???

I would hate to have to buy another pair to replace the bent one :(

CF props are widely regarded around here as a downgrade. Unless you're in full manual flight mode, your flight characteristics (lateral speed, descent rate, etc) are being restricted by the flight computer, not the actual type of props you have. Most guys that run CF props describe a DECREASE in overall stability. think of them like the shocks on a car... stiffer shocks PERFORM better but every bump in the road is felt and magnified leading to a rougher overall ride. softer shocks smooth out the ride but don't have that tip top performance edge.
the original, plastic props are the soft shocks :)

so fwiw, I say go back to the stock props. they're cheaper, safer and your videos should be smoother.

on the other hand, if you're a mega pro pilot in full manual flight mode with no restrictions, go for it.

I'm also into performance cars, and when a CF car part actually receives enough stress to bend, there's no bending it back :) the structural integrity of the part is just gone.

Reactions: Dounin Front
I was getting ready to practice manual mode just was giving them a test flight to see if the claims were true

The impact wasn't hard but it managed to slightly bend the prop on one side to where it would hit the top of the phantom's shell

I know how it does on a car(which does take a serious impact to really damage it)I am a big gear head :)

If I can't get it straightened out I may just get a replacement pair as I can't wait to give manual mode a try(I mostly fly in atti mode half the time unless I am getting pics or video)

I tried to bend it back but it's apparent it's not going to bend back(bummer)

Now to get a new prop(RATS)

I have two phantoms btw (a vision non plus and a vision plus) I use the plus now for my video and pics and am going to use the non plus for fpv only and to learn manual mode with(so I don't risk the expensive gimbal on my vision plus)

I was flying line of sight also(I guess it goes to show even experience pilots make
Mistakes) I am just glad it was only a few feet and not say 3-400 up or I would be replaceing a lot more then just a prop

i'd try the DJI carbon reinforced props, i've only had a 5minute flight with them but certainly looking forward to back to back tests

p fandango said:
i'd try the DJI carbon reinforced props, i've only had a 5minute flight with them but certainly looking forward to back to back tests

Will do as I liked the set I have before I bent one of them

Keep me posted on your tests as I am also thinking of getting the extra thrust props also

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1