Benefits of owning a Phantom

Reaction score
From my point of view it has got me exploring my local countryside more than I have ever done in all the years I have lived here. Meet lots of people- who despite my earlier fears have so far been 100% positive. And without FPV you get the anticipation of viewing the footage once back home and seeing what lies beyond those distant trees and fields. I still tend to fly defensively so the footage is never as good or as steady as I would like- but a World apart from what I might have expected to have got even 6 months ago!
There is still a edge of fear while flying, which I suspect will never go completely away. But when seeing that tiny dot in the air high in the sky and knowing that you are controlling it (hopefully!) its seems a miracle that it does so well. With this technology still so young- what will it be like in 5 years time I wonder? Good times to be had.

I agree owning one of these machines makes it very easy to engage in conversation with people. I am shocked these days how many people just walk past you on a walk without saying hello. I always try to make eye contact and speak first but have often been ignored. Even the older generation seem to do this these days. Enter the phantom and suddenly everyone wants to talk. Not always useful of course but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I too have some of the fear factor. I just reinforce the message if it crashes it crashes. To get the really nice shots we have to fly closer to objects.

I imagine one day we will take out our mobile phones, speak to our digital assistant to 'follow me on this walk' and just throw it into the air. It will do the rest. A couple of hours later it will land in our hand as we get back to our car. All beautifully stabilised, edited and matched to a perfect music track based on our personal preferences.

How long for that do you reckon ?

Shrimpfarmer said:
I agree owning one of these machines makes it very easy to engage in conversation with people. I am shocked these days how many people just walk past you on a walk without saying hello. I always try to make eye contact and speak first but have often been ignored. Even the older generation seem to do this these days. Enter the phantom and suddenly everyone wants to talk. Not always useful of course but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I too have some of the fear factor. I just reinforce the message if it crashes it crashes. To get the really nice shots we have to fly closer to objects.

I imagine one day we will take out our mobile phones, speak to our digital assistant to 'follow me on this walk' and just throw it into the air. It will do the rest. A couple of hours later it will land in our hand as we get back to our car. All beautifully stabilised, edited and matched to a perfect music track based on our personal preferences.

How long for that do you reckon ?

Sounds great until the FAA in the US decides that you need a license and annual certification to take a walk with your phone or local politicians decide that there is just too much risk that your cell phone could attack some innocent bystander or other walker or invades their privacy and bans all cell phones on walks!

Sorry, it was the first thing that popped into my head. The concept is awesome though!

I LOVE my Phantom and I enjoy FPV and LOS flight. I love to watch the video of my flights even if I also must agree that I may never be a cinematographer. I really enjoy filming where I live and that of my family who would like to have a video of their property from the air. You can really get some neat perspectives of areas you thought you knew. It all seems different from above!

Shrimpfarmer said:

I've not thought of this but you're right. Every time I've been out, there's been someone wanting to know what's up and make causal conversation.

fly-catchers said:
From my point of view it has got me exploring my local countryside more than I have ever done in all the years I have lived here. Meet lots of people. And without FPV you get the anticipation of viewing the footage once back home and seeing what lies beyond those distant trees and fields. I still tend to fly defensively so the footage is never as good or as steady as I would like- but a World apart from what I might have expected to have got even 6 months ago!
There is still a edge of fear while flying, which I suspect will never go completely away. But when seeing that tiny dot in the air high in the sky and knowing that you are controlling it (hopefully!) its seems a miracle that it does so well. With this technology still so young- what will it be like in 5 years time I wonder? Good times to be had.

Agree 100% w/you and Shrimpfarmer - it's opened many doors to interests and encounters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav