Benefits of H3-3D?

Reaction score
My Phantom 2 with gimbal arrived less than a week ago. I still have time to return it to B&H. I was wondering what the benefits of the new H3-3D will be? Will I see that much of a difference between the 2D and 3D? Just questioning it before I back up everything and send it back for a refund.

Thanks

If it does what it is supposed to, the 3D gimbal will reduce or hopefully pretty much eliminate the dreaded wiggling (uncommanded yawing) that ruins most shots with the 2D gimbal in a decent breeze.

ianwood said:
If it does what it is supposed to, the 3D gimbal will reduce or hopefully pretty much eliminate the dreaded wiggling (uncommanded yawing) that ruins most shots with the 2D gimbal in a decent breeze.
So do you think it will help at all, or at least soften, the jerky yaw movement that happens when we make a turn (since the yaw gain cannot be altered :x )? Or do you think it's just going to correct the minute yawing that happens "uncommanded" as you say? And if it will soften commanded yaw, I wonder if the landing gear will come into view briefly before it corrects?

Obviously no none has this gimbal yet so it can't be known for sure. But wasn't sure if you or anyone else has experience with the Z15 and maybe it will act similarly.

CJ31 said:
ianwood said:
So do you think it will help at all, or at least soften, the jerky yaw movement that happens when we make a turn (since the yaw gain cannot be altered :x )? Or do you think it's just going to correct the minute yawing that happens "uncommanded" as you say? And if it will soften commanded yaw, I wonder if the landing gear will come into view briefly before it corrects?

Obviously no none has this gimbal yet so it can't be known for sure. But wasn't sure if you or anyone else has experience with the Z15 and maybe it will act similarly.

It's basically another layer of mechanical stablization but it still needs to generally point where you point the Phantom. A 3rd party controller is what you need to slow down and/or maintain steady yaw. The 3D gimbal will smooth it a bit but it alone doesn't solve for yawing too fast or inconsistenly. Also, we're going to see a lot more videos with landing gear making unwelcome appearances soon.

avalancheav said:
**** him! What couldn't he have yawed it just a little bit more to see what it would do!

As of now I think it is as Ianwood stated, just correcting for the very small uncommaded yaw. Personally I haven't had that much issue with that in my videos. I don't usually fly in windy conditions, so maybe that's why.

maybe its my bad internet but there was a small jitter when he went to show the yaw movement.... not good.

It looks like the newer phantom 2's that are being shipped out, are slightly different to accept the H3-3D gimbal. Looks like there was a change in the bottom of the Phantom 2 to accept the H3-3D gimbal...

Attachments

• phantom case.jpg
    phantom case.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 409
tonydotigr said:
How much will it be?

Just ordered it for $813 with another P2 from one of my B2B sites. $959 is the standard price, pretty big markup. Now I'll be up to 3 P2's and 2 P1's...time to sell some

Ksc said:
maybe its my bad internet but there was a small jitter when he went to show the yaw movement.... not good.

The jitter you saw was probably just more of a result of the horizontal/vertical movement that incurred when he tried to rotate the Phantom by hand. (those movements are not counteracted by the gimbals).

I've flown with the Arris CM3000 3-axis gimbal, and I can definitely tell you that if I was in your shoes, I'd be very tempted to exchange for the 3-axis gimbal, it's well worth the extra $100 or so to eliminate the yaw-wobble.

By the end of the year nobody will be wanting 2-axis gimbals for their Phantom 2's.

seriously. don't think its worth it. and yes more landing gears LOL. So film at widest angle. keep speed down. Post process and cut out props and possible landing gears. OH... post process video stabilization. Why do we need yaw axis gimbal?

Theoretically the ultimate filming machine has that extra axis, remote zooming, remote start and stop... etc. Theoretically you need a separate operator for the camera and gimbal. One person flies.

I don't think that's what a p2 was intended for.

You won't need to cut out landing gear or get retracts. The H3-3D doesn't support heading lock and will only move a tiny bit in the pan axis to damp yaw jitter.
It's not like the Z15s which can lock the gimbal in a specific direction.

I would definitely recommend returning it and paying the extra $100 to get the 3D gimbal. I can't tell you how many times I've had amazing shots only to be ruined by yaw movement. I will definitely be upgrading when it arrvies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31