Bench Power (or mobile power) for P3 Pro?

Would you buy an AC Power Supply to power your drone for $59?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello Pilots!

Thank you for reading my post.

Here is what I'm looking for; an AC Power Supply for my P3 that plugs into the battery connection. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I plugged my battery charger directly into the battery compartment? If something like this is not available to buy then I'm going to engineer it myself and sell it. Has anyone seen something like this or know what specification would be required in a transformer to power the P3?

Part 2 of the question is about external power for the P3 from my car.

Why?? Many reasons.

Use your drone as a live stream video system around the house. Or when making adjustments to your software save your battery cycles for flying. I will do demonstrations with the drone and don't want to be limited by how much of a charge I have.

If I make one it will fit into a dummy battery that slides into the drone with an standard wall plug and 6 foot wire.

Thanks for looking at this. I know there are some people out there smarter than me!

Rod

Why go through all the trouble of ANOTHER power supply when you can simply put a battery in. A battery not powering the motors will last well over an hour at the minimum. Why have an unnecessary cord attached?

It doesnt make much sense. $59 is half the price of an extra battery (that can also be used as flight battery). It takes forever to drain a battery when not flying, at least 3-4 hours, probably more (*), so with two batteries, you should be able to power the stationary drone nonstop easily, use one, charge one.

I also doubt it would even work. Sure you can power the drone with 15V DC , but how will it react when the second interface of the smart battery isnt connected? I dont know the answer to that, but you probably want to find out first. If you where going to butcher an old smart battery to solve this, well, you may as well just use it as a "ground battery".

(*) I'll let you know. Its raining and I have a full battery I want to discharge, so I just inserted it and turned on my phantom. Lets see in a few hours how much charge is left.

Wouldnt interest me. The phantom gets so hot powered while not in flight it is concerning. Just keep your out of service batteries for on ground calibration and set up.

he phantom gets so hot powered while not in flight it is concerning.

Quite right. Half an hour in to my test, and with barely half a led flashing (so ~87% left) I aborted because the thing is smoking hot. Im continuing now with the props running idle hoping that will generate enough cooling breeze. Really annoying btw that there isnt a better way to discharge a battery

I also wonder how DJI figured we'd make any use of the "simulator".

Quite right. Half an hour in to my test, and with barely half a led flashing (so ~87% left) I aborted because the thing is smoking hot. Im continuing now with the props running idle hoping that will generate enough cooling breeze. Really annoying btw that there isnt a better way to discharge a battery

I also wonder how DJI figured we'd make any use of the "simulator".
Battery is easy enough to discharge with a dummy load. The one day auto discharge setting works well enough for.me.

I may have to make a dummy load. I dont want the battery discharging when Im not home. Call me paranoid, Ive already been through a lipo fire once, that was enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl