Being approached by a local newspaper

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was phoned by a local newspaper reporter today and asked if I'd mind my Youtube footage being used in an article about the build of a new school which I flew over. He said he'd been referred by another local guy who does a lot of FPV filming locally and then asked if I'd like to say a few words about quadcopters (any issues I'd had from bystanders etc). I told him I only fly early in the morning when there's no one around and I mostly fly out in the hills so there have been no problems.

Unfortunately, only now, I've got the feeling that this reporter was possibly (like most reporters) trying to dig up something he could sensationalise in a 'Quads are EVIL' type article and wasn't actually interested in the school construction at all. I've taken down the video he was initially enquiring about just in case. Anyone else in the UK had experience with local rags trying to drum up quad hatred for the sake of some sales, or am I being paranoid and should I enjoy my potential boost of Youtube views and local 'fame?'

Thanks for any opinions.

I live in the USA so I can't really speak about UK temperament towards "drones".

I wouldnt doubt if the FAA starts to subpoena YouTube for members' IP addresses so they can send them "cease and desist" letters. Some of these videos have to really aggravate the FAA, esp. the ones where idiots fly their machines to 3,000 feet altitude and probably within a couple miles of a busy airport. If the U.S. government banned drones from national parks because of people harassing wildlife, you can sure as hell believe they are more furious about a 3-lb. piece of plastic flying around in airspace being shared by commercial airliners and helicopters!

You don't really know for sure what his motives were. They are not all the from the bad drone brigade. You could meet for a chat and sus him out. Also just watch the CAA don't regard its use as commercial and give you grief.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you

IrishSights said:
Also just watch the CAA don't regard its use as commercial and give you grief.

That's a good point because even though money (if offered) wouldn't even be accepted by me, the reporter did say he'd mention the name of my business in the article. That may constitute commercial gain. I've known the reporter from teenage years but nowadays he's a news reporter first and a friend a distant second. Paranoia's got the better of me, the footage is down and I'll not be speaking to him again.

steveeds said:
Just because your not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you

I'm not paranoid, you all just think I am ;)

I'm not paranoid, I'm a singlenoid....sorry bad joke.

Why not tell him you are a great fan of your hobby and you feel some press reports of a few idiots give us all a bad name. Tell him you are happy for him to use your footage and you will have a chat with him about your hobby and use the opportunity to inform him how safe you are, when and where you fly to avoid issue and how these drones/quadcopters are not the enemy when used by sensible law abiding citizens. Most people drive their cars sensibly but some drive like lunatics and put us all in danger. Its the person, not the drone and most use them considerately as part of an interesting hobby.

pilsburypie said:
Why not tell him you are a great fan of your hobby and you feel some press reports of a few idiots give us all a bad name. Tell him you are happy for him to use your footage and you will have a chat with him about your hobby and use the opportunity to inform him how safe you are, when and where you fly to avoid issue and how these drones/quadcopters are not the enemy when used by sensible law abiding citizens. Most people drive their cars sensibly but some drive like lunatics and put us all in danger. Its the person, not the drone and most use them considerately as part of an interesting hobby.

Ah the reasonable approach, yes that has always worked.

;)

You grant _________ the right to use agreed clips described as _________ in perpetuity for broadcast, online and/or print media in a news story titled _______ on the subject of _______. You retain all other rights. Done.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl