Beginners Beware

Reaction score
Congrats on your new Phantom 2 Purchase. Now here is something you really need to know. When you get your controller, the box with the switches and nobs, you need to understand something real fast if you are going to fly in Mode 2, which most people fly in. The instructions tell you to move both stickes inward and to the bottom in order to turn the motors on. If you have done this already, GREAT. Now, if you have calibrated your sticks in the Assistant Software and moved both sticks around in a 360 Degreee Circle like your supposed to, you will notice that their is a sorta "CLICK" on the left stick. Some might call it a bump, but regardless of what you call it, you can feel it in the left stick on the very bottom. Your finger goes over a couple of bumps in the very bottom of the left stick.

GREAT, if you can feel the bump on the bottom, then you will understand what I am talking about. You can also feel the bump if you move the left stick from it's NEUTRAL position, at dead center, to the bottom position at 6 O'clock. OKay, now that we have you feeling the bump, then you need to remember this, "IT IS VERY IMPORTANT". "If you go past the bump when flying, the motors will turn off". That means, when you are trying to land, do not go past the "BUMP" until your Phantom is on the GROUND. Do not move the right stick whatsover when you finally decide to land, if you do, it will cause you Phantom to tip over and break props.

I hope this helps the novice and maybe experienced flyer, but it is what I have found to be true. Good Luck and Safe Flying.

K.M.Harp

Congrats on your new Phantom 2 Purchase. Now here is something you really need to know. When you get your controller, the box with the switches and nobs, you need to understand something real fast if you are going to fly in Mode 2, which most people fly in. The instructions tell you to move both stickes inward and to the bottom in order to turn the motors on. If you have done this already, GREAT. Now, if you have calibrated your sticks in the Assistant Software and moved both sticks around in a 360 Degreee Circle like your supposed to, you will notice that their is a sorta "CLICK" on the left stick. Some might call it a bump, but regardless of what you call it, you can feel it in the left stick on the very bottom. Your finger goes over a couple of bumps in the very bottom of the left stick.

GREAT, if you can feel the bump on the bottom, then you will understand what I am talking about. You can also feel the bump if you move the left stick from it's NEUTRAL position, at dead center, to the bottom position at 6 O'clock. OKay, now that we have you feeling the bump, then you need to remember this, "IT IS VERY IMPORTANT". "If you go past the bump when flying, the motors will turn off". That means, when you are trying to land, do not go past the "BUMP" until your Phantom is on the GROUND. Do not move the right stick whatsover when you finally decide to land, if you do, it will cause you Phantom to tip over and break props.

I hope this helps the novice and maybe experienced flyer, but it is what I have found to be true. Good Luck and Safe Flying.

K.M.Harp

Hey there... I do the left stick and right stick to the bottom and out to turn on and off motors. I have never once even come close to turning the motors off in mid air. It would take a fairly radical move to accidentally kill the motors. Have you actually accidentally shut to motors off in flight?

The bumps you feel exist on both sticks on the bottom and the top.

Anyway - thanks for sharing the info. I just wanted to add that with plenty of flights I have never even almost accidentally shut my motors down.

The thing I would suggest people be more concerned about is VRS as it is something that is easy to cause if you're not careful on descent. Even though the firmware is supposed to help you avoid it, during certain conditions causing a VRS is pretty easy to do accidentally.

K.M.Harp

Maybe you should get better educated in how that left stick works. You might just find out as you put it what the little bump is used for.

Reactions: TeamYankee
This bit of info only applies to the newer 'scroll wheel' controller.
When you are flying and lock the left stick down it should descend, not shut off.
The first two iterations do not have that feature.

So to clarify for the benefit of any new owners ... the original post is completely WRONG. Holding left stick down will not shut off the Phantom in flight. DJI designers are a bit smarter than that.
Holding the left stick down is the normal way Phantom owners descend - and it won't induce VRS either (if you haven't impeded your Phantom's performance by fitting prop guards).

K.M.Harp

Umm, wrong.

This is the second post on here that tells users not to go below the "click" on the left stick..

Use the "Click" !! - It's there for you to use to aid landing... Left stick all the way down, "click", then it will auto land.. simple really :)

The ONLY way to turn the motors off in flight is to use the dual CSC stick command.. don't do that or it'll cost you in repairs!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl