Beginner question : 3rd crash - WTH??

Reaction score
Forgive me because I'm sure this has been asked already; but my new P3 will sometimes "take off" on it's own, after lift off about 4 feet up..... it will just run off to the right or left with no input other than the amount of throttle needed to get it off the ground- and yes, it crashes. Once I caught it, the other couple times - I tore up the props and it went belly up. Very frustrating. I have the latest firmware, installed before I ever flew it. I calibrate before each flight..... so what the heck is going on?

Could it possibly be cause by metal objects nearby... like light poles or parked cars? Once I was taking off about 10 feet from a basketball net on a metal post and it took off and crashed. Then again, I've also flown in big open school parking lots with light posts and had no issues. After 2 sets of props, and some minor nicks and scratches...I'm starting to get apprehensive with this. Any suggestions???

I'm betting it's either a bad compass calibration or you need to recalibrate your IMU.

You turn the transmitter on and then the P3. You sit there and the P3 just takes off at random times? The rest of it sounds like an improper compass calibration or perhaps your controller sticks need to be calibrated.

Forgive me because I'm sure this has been asked already; but my new P3 will sometimes "take off" on it's own, after lift off about 4 feet up..... it will just run off to the right or left with no input other than the amount of throttle needed to get it off the ground- and yes, it crashes. Once I caught it, the other couple times - I tore up the props and it went belly up. Very frustrating. I have the latest firmware, installed before I ever flew it. I calibrate before each flight..... so what the heck is going on?

Could it possibly be cause by metal objects nearby... like light poles or parked cars? Once I was taking off about 10 feet from a basketball net on a metal post and it took off and crashed. Then again, I've also flown in big open school parking lots with light posts and had no issues. After 2 sets of props, and some minor nicks and scratches...I'm starting to get apprehensive with this. Any suggestions???
The same thing happened to me this morning (took off to the right at lift off then erratic until I could get it down). In my scenario, I had been flying smooth for 1 battery life. I landed to change batteries. Inserted battery, checked lights, all was good (no prompts on pilot app). At lift off it rolled hard right, I was able to bring it back to me but it was coming fast (and heading for a drop off - 30 ft down) so I did the hard kill. Thankfully it landed in some black berry briars which softened the blow. I was rattled.

I set the bird on the hood of my truck to change the battery then powered up. I wonder if that is what caused the issue?

The same thing happened to me this morning (took off to the right at lift off then erratic until I could get it down). In my scenario, I had been flying smooth for 1 battery life. I landed to change batteries. Inserted battery, checked lights, all was good (no prompts on pilot app). At lift off it rolled hard right, I was able to bring it back to me but it was coming fast (and heading for a drop off - 30 ft down) so I did the hard kill. Thankfully it landed in some black berry briars which softened the blow. I was rattled.

I set the bird on the hood of my truck to change the battery then powered up. I wonder if that is what caused the issue?
DO NOT TAKE OFF OR LAND NEAR METAL OBJECTS.
The car has massive influence on the birds compass. I don't know how you took off on your car as I get massive compass warnings when I'm near the car.
There was a clip where a P2 H33D Gopro owner took off on car. It made the compass go AWOL.

I have been there and done that. :eek::eek:

You cannot set the Phantom on the hood or bed of your truck if to power it on -- when you pick it up and calibrate it you will either get a compass error or the compass will calibrate--and then cause the Phantom problems. With a compass error or without it, because it was powered it up close to the steel on the truck you will get very erratic behavior when the Phantom takes off if it may not even get off the ground. Mine simply tipped over to the right and would not even take off.

Turned everything off and back on again about 30 feet from my truck-- recalibrated the compass-- and it took off and locked in-- no issues since then-- have had about 25 flights since this issue.

Stay away from anything steel, power lines and magnets-- especially in setting up or taking off.
When flying, dont get too close to anything with steel including reinforced concrete. You may loose connection or worse get a compass error in flight.

Thanks everybody. So where do I take off in say, a subdivision.... on grass?? (Maybe from a hard flat surface like plywood)....and properly cal. Like I said, after seeing that thing surge off during a couple takeoffs and crash.... It's not too comforting. Right now I'm stick shy lol.

I believe it may be the Flight Mode Switch? This is located on the left front of the remote controller. If it is on A ( the middle selection) and there is no GPS signal then it would fly off. Make sure the switch is in the P position especially if you are not comfortable with all the settings, etc... It also could be as simple as not having a GPS signal available (look at the top of your display when flying). Does it state No GPS? Make sure to have the switch in P mode, and make sure to calibrate the drone before taking off. To calibrate, on the display, click calibrate and follow the 2 steps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik