Beginner, first drone

Reaction score
So i recently bought a dji phantom, it is the first model, not the phantom 2 or 3 or anything. I have everything under control with it, however do not have a camera for it yet. I was going to get a go pro hero 3+ but before i do so, my question is: If i get a go pro that is compatible with that wifi backpack deal that allows you to watch the stream from your phone or device, will that mess with my transmitter and possibly give me problems with the phantom in the air?
any help is appreciated, i'd hate to buy a go pro and try it out, and then my drone AND go pro end up flying away or crashing

Yes if your RC controller is on the 2.4Ghz frequency which is the same as wifi you can lose control of your Phantom.

Yes if your RC controller is on the 2.4Ghz frequency which is the same as wifi you can lose control of your Phantom.
hmm okay, so i don't need a go pro with wifi capabilities.
this may not be such a novice question, but is there any way to upgrade transmitters and modify the phantom for the newer transmitter?

hmm okay, so i don't need a go pro with wifi capabilities.
this may not be such a novice question, but is there any way to upgrade transmitters and modify the phantom for the newer transmitter?

Take a photo of both the Phantom and the controller and post them so we know what you have.

here is everything. it's a 1.0

Attachments

• Drone photo.jpg
    Drone photo.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 375
  • Transmitter.jpg
    Transmitter.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 360
  • Drone manual.jpg
    Drone manual.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 342
here is everything. it's a 1.0

I'm not familiar with with the original phantom to be able to tell you how to set it up for a FPV system. But no doubt there are plenty here who can help you.

I'm not familiar with with the original phantom to be able to tell you how to set it up for a FPV system. But no doubt there are plenty here who can help you.
I'm a newbie, like i said, this is my first drone. So it sounds like i do have a reason to buy a go pro with the wifi capabilities so once I'm able to figure out how to upgrade mine, i could use it.
If there's anyone who could possibly send me a link to a video, or even just some basic information on setting it up. I thought it was just a go pro that had wifi that would connect to your phone and you could watch the stream. The problem i was afraid of was the wifi interfering with the transmitter and the drone controls. If there's anyone who could educate me on how difficult it would be to change the transmitter type from a 2.4ghz (i don't understand this stuff) to something else that can run with wifi with it. I'm assuming i would have to upgrade some of the inner workings of the drone for this to work

Hey Brandon I too thought about using my WIFI bacpac with my GoPro for remote viewing and even tested this whilst safely on the ground at home. (this was before I learned of the interference issue) The refresh rate of the stream was not at all fast enough to fly with. You might be able to use it to setup a shot but you'd have to hover for a bit while the image updates on your phone or tablet. It might be cheaper/an easier project if you were to add a 5.8ghz TX broadcasting your GoPro back to a display mounted on your controller rather than go through the hassle of swapping the 2.4ghz tech. Just my $0.02

Happy flying! :D

Any recommendations for an inexpensive but reliable 5.8 TX and monitor?

Thanks for the info! What else would be required other than those to get FPV going on my phantom 1 and gopro hero 3?
The only other things I can think of are a power supply, to drive the monitor and receiver on your controller, a mount for the screen and a cable to connect the GoPro to the TX

This is the battery pack I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-6800...366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d536aa086

The cable: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33609__GoPro_Hero_3_to_FPV_Transmitter_Lead_200mm.html

And possible screen mount (this may not work for the screen you end up with. Make sure you check compatibility) http://www.shapeways.com/product/GM...r-mount?li=search-results-1&optionId=24266613

Reactions: Cerone
Does this connect to your GoPro to get the video or do you need a separate mini cam on the P1 to get the FPV video?
I'm using a seperate mincam at the moment. I plan on connecting my GoPro later on once I get around to getting a gimbal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers