Bee attacks!

Reaction score
Do bees attack your drones too? Today's the second time my drone gets attacked by a swarm of bees. I'm not even flying too low either. I brought it down and noticed a ton of bees following it down trying to sting my drone. When I landed it, it was full of bee guts...

Anyone else seen this?

YA that sounds weird to even hear of bees attacking much of any thing thats not a direct threat to there hive. I was wondering if maybe they were a swarm of killer bees. Or hornets.

Yea, not sure what they were but I was flying out in the open and they started attacking very aggressively.

RTH with a following bee swarm would not be nice I expect. However if your buddy was taking video maybe an entry for America's funniest videos?

Doesn't sound like a fun deal though as some bees can get very aggressive besides mucking up the phantom

There was a period about a week ago where I couldn't fly anywhere without getting swarmed. Every single time I hit about 100 ft, my Phantom was completely enveloped in a massive swarm of big honey bees. I did some research and ended up on two main theories. One is that the Phantom obviously sounds like a swarm of bees, and they are simply defending from a perceived threat. The second theory is that these are male drone bees looking for a queen and/or a new hive. Once one gets mauled by the props, the defend pheromones are already released and the problem compounds with each blended bee. I even saved a few of the fallen to show an exterminator friend, and he agreed that they were simple honey bees but massive in size. To say it caused a mess would be a huge understatement. I was cleaning bee out of the interior boards for hours.

That being said, I've flown a few days now without getting swarmed. *crossed fingers*

this was my swarm video from last week. I took one a day later that was even worse, but didn't upload it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GjJKz7tVaE[/youtube]

Reactions: jpbroomfield
Very odd.

Do your best not to kill honeybees. We need them (plus it's illegal in many states).

They are my only favorite type of bee. The rest can burn in hell.

What state are you in? Cause they way they were swarming and you saying they looked like regular honey bees but bigger again makes me wonder if they were the killer bees that are hybridizing with regular bees and have been spreading accost the county heading north for the last 30 years. The slightest sound sets them off in a swarm attack and unlike regular bees they will go farther away from the hive when they are on the attack and they also when attacking try to get inside any opening in an animal to try and sting them internally like the nose or in the mouth so they can sting in the throat and air ways. Thats how they are able to even kill large bears and other animals that normal bees usually dont kill.

Do bees attack your drones too? Today's the second time my drone gets attacked by a swarm of bees. I'm not even flying too low either. I brought it down and noticed a ton of bees following it down trying to sting my drone. When I landed it, it was full of bee guts...

Anyone else seen this?

How did you clean the inside of your drone
My friends phantoms Gimbel is all sticky...
Thanks for helping

Thanks for helping

Guess you didn't see that this post will be 4 years old on July 26th.

Thanks for helping

@Umudun welcome to our forum. Hopefully someone with experience in this area will reply back with some helpful and SUPPORTIVE information.

Until then please enjoy our forum and SAFE FLIGHTS!!

Allen

I
Guess you didn't see that this post will be 4 years old on July 26th.

I did, but it's the only place in the net where I could find the same problem.
How do I get the bee guts out of the drones mechanic?
Any idea???

I

I did, but it's the only place in the net where I could find the same problem.
How do I get the bee guts out of the drones mechanic?
Any idea???

You "might" (I've never had this problem) treat it with similar processes to a Salt Water submersion. That should bee (see what I did there LOL) easier and more common to search on.

I'll have a look
But I think the problem is slightly different as there is sticky stuff that makes the moving parts move worse/slow

I'll have a look
But I think the problem is slightly different as there is sticky stuff that makes the moving parts move worse/slow

The motors are the only moving parts on the whole aircraft(excluding gimbal/camera) unless you've added some additional mechanical aspects.

If you can locate some "Electrical Contact Cleaner" (it's in a aerosol can) and you can use this to clean components and not do harm to them. It may take several "sessions" to get it all out.

I would have thought the best thing to have done would have been to have moved off at speed and then returned and landed

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4