Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Bee attacks!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oliver84, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Oliver84

Do bees attack your drones too? Today's the second time my drone gets attacked by a swarm of bees. I'm not even flying too low either. I brought it down and noticed a ton of bees following it down trying to sting my drone. When I landed it, it was full of bee guts...

Anyone else seen this?

2. lsteigerwalt

Ive seen it from other people but have flown my bird in front of my seven bee hives without incident on numerous occasions.

3. J.James

YA that sounds weird to even hear of bees attacking much of any thing thats not a direct threat to there hive. I was wondering if maybe they were a swarm of killer bees. Or hornets.

4. Oliver84

Yea, not sure what they were but I was flying out in the open and they started attacking very aggressively.

5. Original poster

We're you recording?

Could make for some awesome footage :)

6. BlackTracer

your phantom obviously looks and sounds like a queen bee to them. They're just following her home. Lol.

7. kevincoxfilms.com

I've had this happen a couple time now and had a few fly into the props… had a bit of a mess to clean up

8. knuckles

RTH with a following bee swarm would not be nice I expect. However if your buddy was taking video maybe an entry for America's funniest videos?

Doesn't sound like a fun deal though as some bees can get very aggressive besides mucking up the phantom

9. Slauterhause

There was a period about a week ago where I couldn't fly anywhere without getting swarmed. Every single time I hit about 100 ft, my Phantom was completely enveloped in a massive swarm of big honey bees. I did some research and ended up on two main theories. One is that the Phantom obviously sounds like a swarm of bees, and they are simply defending from a perceived threat. The second theory is that these are male drone bees looking for a queen and/or a new hive. Once one gets mauled by the props, the defend pheromones are already released and the problem compounds with each blended bee. I even saved a few of the fallen to show an exterminator friend, and he agreed that they were simple honey bees but massive in size. To say it caused a mess would be a huge understatement. I was cleaning bee out of the interior boards for hours.

That being said, I've flown a few days now without getting swarmed. *crossed fingers*

this was my swarm video from last week. I took one a day later that was even worse, but didn't upload it.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GjJKz7tVaE[/youtube]

10. kydan

Very odd.

Do your best not to kill honeybees. We need them (plus it's illegal in many states).

They are my only favorite type of bee. The rest can burn in hell.

11. J.James

What state are you in? Cause they way they were swarming and you saying they looked like regular honey bees but bigger again makes me wonder if they were the killer bees that are hybridizing with regular bees and have been spreading accost the county heading north for the last 30 years. The slightest sound sets them off in a swarm attack and unlike regular bees they will go farther away from the hive when they are on the attack and they also when attacking try to get inside any opening in an animal to try and sting them internally like the nose or in the mouth so they can sting in the throat and air ways. Thats how they are able to even kill large bears and other animals that normal bees usually dont kill.