beat my last distance, good thing didnt crash

Reaction score
well went out tonight topped my last distance but good thing I didnt fall from the sky, came back in and just as I got it in and was coming down was maybe 20-30 feet off the ground and she started to fall like a rock tried to bring it up but she wouldnt go had a light crash on the ground, went and picked it up and one of the motors was really hot, tried starting it up and 3 of the props turned normally but the one wouldnt turn, think the bearing seazed up good thing it happened when almost home not 500 feet up yikes, no damage thou thats the good thing...need to find me another motor, is it good to swap out just one or better to swap out all 4? did get a snap shot of my distance thou....

Attachments

• IMG_0702.PNG
    IMG_0702.PNG
    393.8 KB · Views: 527
Sorry that happened :eek: Don't know what ta tell ya on the motor question bro but am getting ready to put 1 new one with 3 older one's in mine [2312's ]
And will know then !! I also got new esc for the new one .
The one that was hot be sure and check the pads it sits on as I had a motor melt them in one of mine and had to replace the shell .
Nice distance but sure hate that happened !!!!!

Hey Dirk, how do I know what ESC is in the phantom , looking at 4 new motors because I checked the other 3 tonight by just hand spinning them, 2 seem to spin freely but the 3rd seems a bit rough too, so if im gonna by 2 might as well by 4 not much difference in price from 2 but the motors say require the version 2.1 ESC

Hey Dirk, how do I know what ESC is in the phantom , looking at 4 new motors because I checked the other 3 tonight by just hand spinning them, 2 seem to spin freely but the 3rd seems a bit rough too, so if im gonna by 2 might as well by 4 not much difference in price from 2 but the motors say require the version 2.1 ESC
Well in that way of thinking Squid I agree with changing all 4 as in my mind it would be like just changing the brake pads on one side of my car and not the other if ya see what I mean by that .
Where do you see it says they need the 2.1 esc ? Where you are ordering them ? Are they V3 motors [ 2312's ] ? I will be taking the top off mine today maybe and will look at the stock esc but and might be wrong thought mine came stock with the 2.0 one .
I JIMO change motors I put in new esc . I like the 2312 motor better myself . The start up tone is shorter and thought something was wrong when I first
changed to them and call the tech where I got them and he told me that's the way they were with that motor .2312 is V3 motor .
Works great :) Where ever ya get your motors I would call and just make sure they sent the right esc for whatever motor I got to be sure ! Is what I do ;)

hey Dirk heres the link to where I was thinking of ordering them from, its not far from me so cam have them in a few days
http://www.multirotorheli.ca/collections/motors/products/dji-phantom-2-part-11-2312-motor-ccw-qty-1

it doesnt say anything about the ESC on this site but seen the same motor on ebay and thats what it said on there about the ESC
I just phoned the company selling these motors and they said as long as my ESC is 2.0 or later im fine, how do I find what mine is he said it should say on the ESC but looked and the only numbers I could find on it was this (WM 301 BLDC V2)
would it tell me in the phantom assist software if I hooked it up?

Last edited:
Don't know about what it would say in assist. But the motor I just looked at has to have this esc...2.1..here's one I am putting in mine now esc1.jpg
Now I think the 2.0 will work But if ya read in the V+ section about it that's were they were having major issue's and having to change them to the 2.1
The box that one came in said ..part no. 7 esc v2.0 but that's just on the box and is the right one for the 2312 motors .
Now here's the stock esc in the Vision I am working on esc.jpg the dirt you see is from the crash I had in mud hole :( and is why I am putting my other set in :) Now all the esc's are the same but are wired differently so Make sure ya take plenty of pictures and put the right motors in
the right spots as 2 turn 1 way and vice verses which you know.
The 2.0 esc's ok with stock motors but not with the 2312's .
Is really a simple job to do if ya know some about soldering and such but my issue is I don't :eek: I sent my other one off to have this done but trying this myself [except for the soldering ] this time :eek::eek:
I am still not getting alerts from this thread or would have answered you sooner buddy ! Don't know what's up with that as I am getting them from other spots but will just keep looking in ;)
Maybe try flaging me like this next time ya post at me and I will see it then ! @dirkclod

Well I know when I called there today I asked him if the stock ESC that are in the phantom vision 2 would work with these motors or would I have to change them and he said no these will work with the ESC's that I have in there now, these are the 2312 motors that im ordering......okay just read something on the internet on the ESC itself it should say V2 on the white label if it does then you have the 2.0 version and then your okay to run the 2312 motors the motors that come stock are the 2212 motors
heres the link to what I read tells all about it
http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/dji-phantom-2-vision-esc.html

well the more I read the more confused I get some say the new esc drops the last 4 beeps at startup which would mean mine is the old version yet others say different its funny DJI just didnt put a sticker on them saying what version they are so there wouldnt be so much confusion

well went out tonight topped my last distance but good thing I didnt fall from the sky, came back in and just as I got it in and was coming down was maybe 20-30 feet off the ground and she started to fall like a rock tried to bring it up but she wouldnt go had a light crash on the ground, went and picked it up and one of the motors was really hot, tried starting it up and 3 of the props turned normally but the one wouldnt turn, think the bearing seazed up good thing it happened when almost home not 500 feet up yikes, no damage thou thats the good thing...need to find me another motor, is it good to swap out just one or better to swap out all 4? did get a snap shot of my distance thou....

Hey Squid,

really sorry this happened to you. Weird thing... but luckily only a lower height and not the full 1916.9'. CONGRATS by the way, nice height...:cool:

And like Dirk mentioned here:

I am still not getting alerts from this thread or would have answered you sooner buddy ! Don't know what's up with that as I am getting them from other spots but will just keep looking in ;)
@dirkclod

I am also not getting many notifications like I used to on all your postings...

In the past I've also did some research on upgrading to stronger motors. I don't remember much, but what I took away from it was the newer motors are much better off with the new ESCs. The older ESCs would start getting too hot. And the 4 beep myth has nothing to do with the version of the bird or controller software. No one could definitively say what the 4 beeps meant...:mad:

well the more I read the more confused I get some say the new esc drops the last 4 beeps at startup which would mean mine is the old version yet others say different its funny DJI just didnt put a sticker on them saying what version they are so there wouldnt be so much confusion

I would, if I did it on my craft, either replace 1 motor with old version ESC (basically one for one swap) or replace all 4 motors with compatible ESCs. Is it a must to replace all 4 motors? No, I don't believe so. It was a single point failure of one motor. Can it happen to the others? Yes, but there are no signs that it will. It's like a light bulb in your kitchen. When one burns out prematurely, it doesn't mean the others will as well. You CAN change them all, but don't have to. Same with the motor and ESC on the one that failed. Do you have to replace both? Unless you see signs of damage on the board, no, you should be able to reuse the ESC and just put a new motor on. IMHO anyway.;)

We need to have someone look into notifications on the board. I am not getting any notifications like I have in the past. I am missing out on a lot, and I keep thinking you all went on vacation to Europe or something :cool:

Sucks huh :D If you get the 2 sets of beeps you have the old. When mine got back the first time when I had the 2312 and 2.1's put in I only hear the first set and shut it down and called them [UAVDirect ] and that's when I found out that's what you hear with the 2.1's ;)
101 is right you don't have to change all 4 but that's just me . It's like the changing brake pads thing I said in my mind but now I fly going high and far out so I just don't take No chances. What ever you do chose to do though if I got the 2312's to upgrade I would use the 2.1 ESC's !
You read in that link what was going on and if you look up 2.1 in my search link you will find a lot more threads on it.
That motor is what makes it a V3 . Along with the GPS puck . I have all that along with the +'s landing skids as they are a little higher
and help with my RPG.
If I had seen what the Booster b.jpg I put in did I most likely would not had that gps put in as it high ! $$$ But I just told them I wanted the V3
so that's what I got . :eek:

Now 101 we have asked the mods about the alert thing in that topic in OT about Tell me mr supermod. TJ said it happens to him also
and I get most like I got one when you posted in this thread and did get one yesterday when Squid posted but not all the time :mad:
Just a glitch I guess .

Reactions: Intruder101
Sucks huh :D If you get the 2 sets of beeps you have the old. When mine got back the first time when I had the 2312 and 2.1's put in I only hear the first set and shut it down and called them [UAVDirect ] and that's when I found out that's what you hear with the 2.1's ;)

Finally, someone can confirm what I thought... THANKS!

101 is right you don't have to change all 4 but that's just me . It's like the changing brake pads thing I said in my mind but now I fly going high and far out so I just don't take No chances.

Now see, I like that, if you have a lot of mileage... In my case, it's been 6 months with about 60 hours. Not sure if I would do all 4.

Now 101 we have asked the mods about the alert thing in that topic in OT about Tell me mr supermod. TJ said it happens to him also
and I get most like I got one when you posted in this thread and did get one yesterday when Squid posted but not all the time :mad:
Just a glitch I guess .

I see, I can live with that... Didn't mean to sound complaining as this is an awesome board to be around... Just a slight inconvenience until I realized what was happening, I was missing out. And on this thread as well.

HAPPY 4th, TO ALL OUT THERE.

We will be seeing a lot of firework footage coming up, if you ask me. BE SAFE!!!!!

Reactions: dirkclod
:D I didn't think you were complaining bro but I did in that thread :D I hear what you are saying too ! Me be kinda hard with mine :eek:
And Happy back at ya and be safe :)

Reactions: Intruder101
well when I put my battery in and turn it on the first thing I hear is on beep the 4 beeps right after that so that means mine are the old version then correct? whats the easiest way to change these then dont have anywhere here to take it to to get it done so gonna have to tackle this myself I guess, probably not the greatest solderer there ever was but I have done a little guess maybe get me a good soldering gun for small objects to start, wow this is gonna cost me about 200 bucks looks like according to multirotor heli site motors are around $113.00 shipped, escs look like they are 24 bucks each......wowzer

I guess i could just get 2 stock ones and put them in that would save putting in new esc's ,,,,the stock ones are 2212's correct? So if looking on ebay as long as they are 2212' i should be good to go?

Squid I am starting to change mine and am like you as far as soldering :eek: I am going to practice on some of my old PC boards to start with and saw a thread on doing these and will look for it and bring it back here. I need it too.
Yep ..not cheap and you gotta do it right as far as the soldering or :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
And yes you have the old version from what you describe . Am looking now :)

I guess i could just get 2 stock ones and put them in that would save putting in new esc's ,,,,the stock ones are 2212's correct? So if looking on ebay as long as they are 2212' i should be good to go?
I would think so yes .

Still looking Squid but did read this ..Duh :rolleyes:
Some advice when soldering:

1. Watch some Youtube videos on how to solder first.
2. Practice making some battery connectors first. Don't just jump right into repairing your Phantom without practice.

Sorry for coming in late on this thread but the same happened to me squid.
When I done my longest flight, bought it back in fail safe, hovered about 80ft above me then I took control to land. Well that's what I thought..... Started coming down to land, it would not respond to my TX started to throttle up, no joy.... Hit the ground like a sack of sh#t but no damage.

I then changed batteries, took it out again & the same thing happened no damage, it landed hard both times on the landing gear.

What's that all about........

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1