Beach Flying

Reaction score
I'm going to be flying at a beach next week. I read that flying near water could affect the drones navigation system. How true is and does this mean I have to be over the ocean or just near the water? I'm recording my proposal to my girlfriend so I'd like to make alternate plans if necessary. Thanks all!

I read that flying near water could affect the drones navigation system.
Flying over water has no affect on the drone's navigation system. Make sure you start with a fully charged battery and you have sufficient battery power to make it back to the home point.

Flying over water has no affect on the drone's navigation system. Make sure you start with a fully charged battery and you have sufficient battery power to make it back to the home point.
Thank you! Now as for landing on the beach do you know if a couple of Yoga mats will do for a landing pad or do I need something more for the sand? Thanks again!

I would personally hand catch the Phantom if landing on the beach. The yoga mats are not very sturdy and they likely won't prevent the sand from kicking up when the Phantom is close to the ground.

Oh ok. Never done a hand catch. Beginner here. Any place for tips on hand catch lessons?

Here's a good how-to on hand catching:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

BEFORE you fly at the beach.......do some research,I read an article that said flying a drone with or without a camera here at our resort tourist beach is NOT allowed...........

BEFORE you fly at the beach.......do some research,I read an article that said flying a drone with or without a camera here at our resort tourist beach is NOT allowed...........
Wow!!! Thank you for that. I never would have thought of checking that out!

Wow!!! Thank you for that. I never would have thought of checking that out!
We are home to the largest Military base in the WORLD!!!!AND a very high population of whiney cranky people,they are SERIOUS about NOT seeing things flying over them and their kids,while I love my drones and helicopters,in TODAYS world I have to agree with them,children are targets of too many ill minded people,and privacy is a thing we take for granted,and sometimes,we dont give enough forethought to safety,I have alot of places I fly,and lately NONE of them are above people.Jail is a FACT here for people that fly without thinking FIRST,Drones are NOT toys,these do pose issues for alot of people,and the rules of people RULE,Not drones.

We are home to the largest Military base in the WORLD!!!!AND a very high population of whiney cranky people,they are SERIOUS about NOT seeing things flying over them and their kids,while I love my drones and helicopters,in TODAYS world I have to agree with them,children are targets of too many ill minded people,and privacy is a thing we take for granted,and sometimes,we dont give enough forethought to safety,I have alot of places I fly,and lately NONE of them are above people.Jail is a FACT here for people that fly without thinking FIRST,Drones are NOT toys,these do pose issues for alot of people,and the rules of people RULE,Not drones.
Forgive me. I never meant I was ignorant to the fact that I have to be mindful of others. I just had a slip of the mind that this is a semi private beach in New England in the winter and didn't think of whether I might need a permit or something. I have contacted my LEO contact there and they have informed me that no special permit is required. Thank you.

As far as I know there are no permits needed,other then the reg number from the FAA.And being that you have access to a Semi-Private beach,the locals may or may not tolerate certain activities...but HERE,is a very different matter,which I well understand....and I didnt mean to imply any ignorance,sometimes we get in such a rush for a little bit of fun and we simply forget things....a very human nature indeed....

I get the idea niteliter that you are in the Eglin AFB area. At the beach we are in class G airspace and need to seek the permission and wavers to fly. Your FFA numbers are mandatory on your bird. A drones pilot license is nice but not required if under the weight class. I should also add that if you are flying by the rules ( line of sight and not over people) ( others apply as well) it doesn't matter if someone likes your bird or not...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Very true........it just take ONE to mess things up for the rest....
Line of sight is ALL I do,if I want distance,I will drive my truck...........................

I get the idea niteliter that you are in the Eglin AFB area. At the beach we are in class G airspace and need to seek the permission and wavers to fly. Your FFA numbers are mandatory on your bird. A drones pilot license is nice but not required if under the weight class. I should also add that if you are flying by the rules ( line of sight and not over people) ( others apply as well) it doesn't matter if someone likes your bird or not...

Oops! Class G requires no permissions or waivers. Elgin, Hurlburt, and Destin Executive are all Class D. On the beach at Destin or FWB, you only need to worry about Hulburt and Destin exec. If you are a hobby flier, still ones need to contact them and let them know where, when you are flying, not ask permission. Admittedly, Hurlburt might be a bit touchy, those C130 Gunships command a lot of space! And the weight 'class" is the same regardless of hobby or commercial (0.55 to 55 pounds).

Last edited:
Hmm I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the rules were a bit different if flying anywhere other than the area between Beasley park to the gated entrance on okaloosa island. Since everything else is deemed AF property.

Hmm I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the rules were a bit different if flying anywhere other than the area between Beasley park to the gated entrance on okaloosa island. Since everything else is deemed AF property.

Only been down there a couple of times, so not sure exactly where on the beach you are. When in doubt, the sectional is your friend. Military installations are always tricky, check out where the physical boundary of the base and airspace overlap. Might need a call to base security or commander's office.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31