Be Happy with what I Have?

I completely understand your position, LanaRain - At the same time that I bought my P3S, my friend bought an Advanced. To me, the Lightbridge is the biggest difference. I'm not gonna say I "regret" my decision (this was my first quadcopter and I think the P3S was a good choice for $499) - but next time around, I will opt for something higher on the spectrum of options/bells & whistles.

Oh ya Tony - I see an Inspire 1 Pro with my name on it or maybe the Matrice 100 build - I am working on learning as much as I can on the P3 so I can handle the Inspire or whatever with a Zenmuse XT IR camera on board so I can add to my business (vibration and thermal studies).

All depends on what they are gonna nail us with that set up (Flir XT/DJI Combo). I figure that camera alone will be in the $5k USD range or higher - add that to the price of an Inspire 1 Pro or a loaded Matrice 100 and that's a lot of dough hanging in the air (plus up here in Canada add another 35% with the exchange rate and that is one huge - OUCH)!.

You're right about the look of the Inspire - very aggressive look yet professional and even alien looking when it is hovering, like two big arms stretched up and out. When it sits on a table and you are looking at it eye level - it looks like two big silver eyes on each side of the white skull kinda head staring back at ya (the two top screws on the white cover).

The whole look from the front at eye level just has an eerie alien kind of look - big white head with those two eyes. How I see it anyway - LOL!

It looked old exactly like the kilngon bird of prey from Star Trek.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is what I like about being the older gentleman. Almost retired.
Got a shitload of money saved. I can just go out and buy the bad bird.
Unfortunately, I have a wife. She does not see things the same way. LOL
And I love her to death. So, Guess what.....No Inspire for me....:(
Momma must be happy too. Like I said, I love her to death. Been married for almost 40 years and would not trade one day away from her. I suppose if I really wanted the Inspire and gave her that pouty face, she would even buy it for me....LOL
Mama told me not to buy an Inspire.....so I bought two P3P's BAHAHAHAHAHA That'll teach her.

Reactions: LanaRain
My wife and I are nearly 70 married for 40 yrs too. We have always had a dollar for dollar system - I spend $500 she can spend the same, although I always seem to lose out.
Just been bitten by the quad bug but not having much luck.
First machine returned 3 times and refunded
Second machine threw a prop from about 10 meters, written off
Next was Blade Glimpse XL, good machine but video only average
Then my first Dji vision 2 plus, excellent machine but managed to rip the camera off, replacement cost aud $700, another $150 bought P3 Standard, love it and great video
Wish me luck
Cheers
Brian
All is fair in love and marriage, what's yours is hers and what's hers is hers. LOL Grin and bare it!

I'm completely happy with my Phantoms. There isn't anything realistic they could add to the P4 that would make me buy one. Anything new they add is going to bump that price up.
It's coming....You're going to trade in the wife for the next gen Phantoms. How about forward looking collision avoidance and an even better battery?

I know what you mean, I do have a 4k TV so do get the benefit of 2.7k from the P3S, but I want lightbridge and the positioning sensors, but there's no way I can afford a P3P, and the advanced is only 1080p, not that that's a bad thing, 1080p is plenty, but I can see a clear difference watching footage shot in both resolutions. I am definitely taken in by specs.

Reactions: Deputy Dog
Be happy with what you have p3s is a good unit wait two years and the way it's going we should be able to get the p5 for $300

I know what you mean, I do have a 4k TV so do get the benefit of 2.7k from the P3S, but I want lightbridge and the positioning sensors, but there's no way I can afford a P3P, and the advanced is only 1080p, not that that's a bad thing, 1080p is plenty, but I can see a clear difference watching footage shot in both resolutions. I am definitely taken in by specs.
I do feel the way you do about the current video specs, [emoji4] but how about the close future with 6K? Is there a technical reason maybe in editing or something why we would need it?
I would need a theater size wall to watch it proper. Lol
You have also added something ...a 4K TV now. But what brand to go with? Companies now days inflate or distort specs and capabilities for consumers.
An inexpensive P3S is closer to its actual tech specs than say the least expensive 4K TV. Thoughts?

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
My 4K TV is an LG, 49". Although it's worth mentioning that most TV manufacturers buy in the panels from other companies, to my knowledge the biggest panel manufacturers are LG and Samsung. I have also heard rumours of 8K TVs being on the horizon, a minute of 4k video is already about 3-400Mb's so 8K is ridiculous for file sizes, my TV upscales 1080p inputs to 4K but I can see a difference with the level of fine detail.

1080p is still a respectable resolution, but I don't like thinking that I'm losing camera quality and about £200 to gain lightbridge and glonass.

My 4K is a Samsung 3D. 75 inch.

I have a hisence 55 inch 4K my 1080 videos play but my 2.7 k shows up as colored snow it plays my hero 3 + 4K 2.7. Anyone had that type of problem? I have no cpu to check if it's the camera

Wow great story, I'm happy you have a DJI again and you like it. I have the bug too, So my question is , I wonder what model will be out when I'm your age sir in 2060?
emoji6.png

Ha ha - too funny. Who's to say what anything will look like in 2060 - scary yet exciting thought. I'm sure you will be telling your Grandkids when they pop by in their people carrying drone all about this old Phantom 3 they find in your attic or garage.

Then you will all climb in your time machine and you can take them back and show them how you used to fly it around in the desert which is now lush green fields of pasture and how their Great Grandfather used to have this really old Marcella manifold Intake on that old Trans Am that you have restored and parked on a cloud somewhere......yada yada yada!

Reactions: LanaRain
Ha ha - too funny. Who's to say what anything will look like in 2060 - scary yet exciting thought. I'm sure you will be telling your Grandkids when they pop by in their people carrying drone all about this old Phantom 3 they find in your attic or garage.

Then you will all climb in your time machine and you can take them back and show them how you used to fly it around in the desert which is now lush green fields of pasture and how their Great Grandfather used to have this really old Marcella manifold Intake on that old Trans Am that you have restored and parked on a cloud somewhere......yada yada yada!
Omg [emoji23] I'm dead [emoji88] funny stuff mr.

This Hobby is truly ageless , but not to long ago using a model airplane or difficult helicopter you had to be somewhat knowledgeable to have any chance of a successful flight.
I've seen my dad and his friends crash a few when I was little.

With the upgrade I think the advanced is also 2.7k now.

Reactions: twisted1504
Collision avoidance will be worth every penny they charge. Longer flight time = more fun.

I guess it all depends on how much extra this thing will cost. $300+? No way is there anything that I can think of that would make it worth it. Maybe just maybe if the battery life was 3 or 4 times longer. Even then, thats a luxury that I would have a hard time forking out the extra cash for.

Reactions: Deputy Dog
I came from cheap and cheerful quads with 5-12 minute flight times, I'm quite happy with 25 minutes lol.

Reactions: Tony Cowan

Well - kinda, sorta, maybe - hmmm - as to seeing a clear difference between 1080p and 4k resolution.

If you are seated or standing at the same distance away from the same sized screen watching 1080p then watching 4k - it's your brain that's saying "hey that looks better in 4k" when in fact your eyes focal point can't detect that unless your distance from the screen is different (i.e. the higher the resolution the closer you need to sit for your eyes to detect a significant or even a relatively small difference in picture quality".)

Our eyes only use a very small part for viewing accurately - density of receptors in our eyes are heavily concentrated at the center as to focus. The way the human eyes work however is to unconsciously move around a focal point from one interesting spot to another. Focusing on the full area of interest (screen) all at once is not as important as long as the area in focus has lots of detail. The centre focal area (can't remember the actual % or angle used lol) anyway, the rest of the eye just does not focus and actually blurs out those areas - hence the reason for sitting closer to truly detect any differences and hence the need for our brains to tell us "hey it's better".

Ok enough of this.......getting carried away........back to Phantom info and help!

Here's a chart that will help understand where we would get the real true effect from our eyes when viewing higher resolution versus standard or hd.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1