Be carefull with your Micro SD cards

Reaction score
I went to buy a new 32GB Micro SD card today - NZD $70 on special.

Took the 4 GB card that came with the PV out, it was a little tight.
Plug in the new card, it felt a little funny, normally the are spring loaded, and you just push it in to get it out. It didn't feel right and I couldn't even get it out straight away. I got my PV yesterday so I was quite keen to get out and fly with the new toy :cool:
So I was thinking, ok I can fiddle with the card when I get back.
Went out for a fly, had the video started already at take off, everything seems ok.
I had a minor tip over on a landing, nothing special. Took it up flying again and wanted to take a photo, got the message on my phone "No memory card" Took the PV down and looked, no memory card????
As I wrote earlier I couldn't even get it out with my fingers, and now it had come out by itself! I gave up looking after it, you know how small the are. So I had my new card less than an hour.
When I came home I tried to put the old card back in and it felt right with the lock. I wonder what have been wrong.
So from now on I will secure the card with a little piece of tape.

I haven't had any problems, of course I've been purchasing cheap 32 GB cards for ~$18 each from meritline.com Don't know what the exchange rate to NZD is.

Just have to make sure the little lip is pointing up and the contacts are down. Cheers.
Sam T.

The microsd slot has a spring loaded accept\eject mechanism.

You press it in once, it'll hold the card in place... press it in again and it'll pop the sd card out out.

So... when you said that the new card slid in effortlessly... did you fish out the 4GB card (straight pull) or pressed it in so it sprung back out to eject? If you didn't eject the previous card properly, the second card might not have gotten the required squeeze\tension to hold it in place :eek:

Hi Leo
Ok I will start wit quoting my self :cool:
Plug in the new card, it felt a little funny, normally they are spring loaded, and you just push it in to get it out.

So yes I pressed the old card in to eject it, but even after it popped out it was a little tight.
And I couldn't feel the locking get in place with the new card, but as I wrote I couldn' even get it out with my fingers, so I was sure it should be secure enough.

You say you couldn't get it out with your fingers?
I am looking at mine now and with it locked in you cant grab it with your fingers. It is in too far. So either it wasn't all of the way in or you have some knarley fingernails to try and grab it with.

Sorry if this sounds rude (that's not how it ment to be)

Are you guys not reading what I am writing or are my english just so bad so i doesn't makes sense????

So I will quote myself again :cool:
Yes I pressed the old card in to eject it, but even after it popped out it was a little tight.
And I couldn't feel the locking get in place with the new card, but as I wrote I couldn't' even get it out with my fingers, so I was sure it should be secure enough.

So that means, I couldn't feel the locking mechanism when I put the new card in and I couldn't push it in to get it out, but as you are writing it's in to far so you can't get it out with our fingers, and therefore I thought it would be ok for now, and it also worked, I was able to record on the card.
Hope that makes sense?

Ok so how does your old card snap in now?
Take off the Joe cool glasses and you wont sound rude.

Ha ha I have taken the glasses off :D
So another quote from myself
When I came home I tried to put the old card back in and it felt right with the lock. I wonder what have been wrong.

That's why I'm asking are people not reading before they are answering.

So yes the old card feels, locks and come out normally.

I went to take mine out one day and my finger slipped off after pushing it in and it shot out and hit me in the face! Took me an hour to find that **** thing. :lol:

That's a pretty cut n dry mechanism that's used on a LOT of things. It's not special to the Phantom. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that DJI bought rejects though, to save a quarter. After the problems I've had with mine....I don't think they have any kind of QC whatsoever.

I'd make em send me a new camera. I mean...that's why you bought the "Vision" and not just a P2, right?

Re: Be carefull with your Micro SD card

I don't need you to re-quote yourself again, but if you felt it slotted in funny, why the heck did you proceed with the flight?
I would be concerned at how it doesn't latch, that I wouldn't maintain contact with the camera or even slide out during maneuvers.

I think the camera on PV is better than most ppl has given it credit for, in terms of its design and functionality. Just today I crashed mine while flying low on a sudden gust of wind (which swayed some low hanging coconut tee leaves to be fed into my rotors). The PV fell from about 10' to asphalt. Its camera broke off cleanly, one of the rotor was torn and battery was removed.

After reinstalling the batter and replacing the rotor, I just needed to remount the camera, plugged the 2 cables back, and it works good as new. Or at least as well as it does before the crash ;)

Oh, my microsd stayed in placed during the whole tumble btw.

Re: Be carefull with your Micro SD card

LeoS said:
I don't need you to re-quote yourself again, but if you felt it slotted in funny, why the heck did you proceed with the flight?
I would be concerned at how it doesn't latch, that I wouldn't maintain contact with the camera or even slide out during maneuvers.

I think the camera on PV is better than most ppl has given it credit for, in terms of its design and functionality. Just today I crashed mine while flying low on a sudden gust of wind (which swayed some low hanging coconut tee leaves to be fed into my rotors). The PV fell from about 10' to asphalt. Its camera broke off cleanly, one of the rotor was torn and battery was removed.

After reinstalling the batter and replacing the rotor, I just needed to remount the camera, plugged the 2 cables back, and it works good as new. Or at least as well as it does before the crash ;)

Oh, my microsd stayed in placed during the whole tumble btw.

Ha ha Leo I'm glad I don't have to re-quote myself again :D

Hmmm I have to ;) As I wrote I got the PV yesterday and I was just so keen to get out and try it out. So when I put the new card in and it didn't felt wrong, and I couldn't get it out, and it seems to be working, I was not for 1 sec thinking I would come out. I would just take care of it and get it out later after the flight. :roll:

Glad to hear you got yours up running again, but I'm sure you got a shock when you first say the camera was off, the battery was out and a torn rotor :?

When I first got mine the SD card mechanism felt stiff to me, too. When pressing in to release the card it didn't spring back easily, but I had to pull it out - not what I'm used to with those mechanisms. Anyway I thought it was just a "feature".

Then I found the cure. Lodge it 45ft up in a tree, leave it overnight while it's raining a bit and let strong winds blow it down into a soggy field the next morning! The only damage was that the camera was knocked off three of the four dampers. One thing I noticed immediately after putting it back together was that the SD mechanism was now smooth and cards were no longer stiff going in.

So whilst I can't recommend my method, like you it seems that some are coming out of the factory a little stiff, and then with use, or a slight knock ;) , whatever was binding in there sorts itself out. Mine is now fine and I use it with a Sandisk 16GB card which I pop in and out all the time to download my images without issue.

Yeah seems like you had exactly the same thing with yours.

Im not sure I will try the solution with the tree, but funny story anyway. :D

It was also a Sandisk I bought and lost today :oops:

I needed a needle nose pliers to get the factory card out the first time. Pressed it nothing happened. Once out the first time it now works correctly.

In fear of this happening I take a piece of vinyl about 1" x 2" and i place it over the card just in case that tiny thing tries to POP out on me. Luckily never had a problem, but much like a preflight checklist its better safe then sorry. Sorry for your loss

LocalWraps said:
In fear of this happening I take a piece of vinyl about 1" x 2" and i place it over the card just in case that tiny thing tries to POP out on me. Luckily never had a problem, but much like a preflight checklist its better safe then sorry. Sorry for your loss

Thanks.
I bought a new one today (Lexar) which comes in and out perfectly. If you look carefully into the cameras opening for the card you will (maybe as one mine) see that card holder doesn't fit exactly to the opening, it's actually (if you not are aware) possible to slide the card in on top of the holder instead into the holder :!: Very Bad
But that is not what happend to me, because I could actually take photos and videos. You will get a warning on your mobile if you try without a card.
By the way the first card was a Sandisk which should be water proof, and when you look at it, it have some kind of coating like plastic which may have coursed it not to lock properly.

So you place a piece of vinyl to cover, but not because you are afraid of loosing the card but because you don't want it to hit you in your eyes? :)

My SD card started sticking, requiring "persuasion" to get the card out of the slot. I ended up carefully trimming the camera shell where the slot passes through it, as the card holder didn't quite line up.

There's a bug in Vision app; it cannot transfer wireless DNG files. If the transfer would work as DJI has "promised", there would be no need to play with SD cards.

AnselA said:
There's a bug in Vision app; it cannot transfer wireless DNG files. If the transfer would work as DJI has "promised", there would be no need to play with SD cards.
Depends on how much time you got. A full flight's video seems to be around 1.5GB in size, which takes quite awhile to transfer even with an SD card reader. I don't even want to consider how long it would take to transfer it wirelessly to my phone, and then again from the phone to my computer. So I'll keep on playing with SD cards, irrespective of DNG.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic