Be careful out there today, boys

K index=1 this morning in dayton, oh.... how can we get any BETTER than that?

edit: I may be remembering YESTERDAY morning reading.... sorry. I had never seen a K=1 before,

Well, I'm no expert, but I doubt if solar interference can cause a complete shut down. If anything, it could mess with the GPS and throw that out of whack and send it off in an unintended direction, but the altitude is determined by the barometer and I don't think that would be affected. Sounds more like a sudden disconnect from the power source if it just fell (did it just tumble?) from the air.

MapMaker53 said:
Well, I'm no expert, but I doubt if solar interference can cause a complete shut down. If anything, it could mess with the GPS and throw that out of whack and send it off in an unintended direction, but the altitude is determined by the barometer and I don't think that would be affected. Sounds more like a sudden disconnect from the power source if it just fell (did it just tumble?) from the air.

Yes, it tumbled. However, the WiFi was still on when I found it and the battery is atill at about 80%. I had only flown for about 4 minutes.

Could be the battery was fine but maybe contacts were dirty? Although that would shut down the wifi too. All it has to do is have a motor or ESC go bad in the air and you're toast.

yorlik said:
K index=1 this morning in dayton, oh.... how can we get any BETTER than that?

What k-index are you looking at? This one is off the chart for a good part of today. Intensity can change pretty quickly from hour to hour.
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/station-k-and-indices

I've read an article today that said as far south as Washington DC (in the darker countryside) might be able to see the edge of the aurora on the horizon. So that's pretty intense. But, again, I'm guessing you had catastrophic mechanical/electrical failure today independent of the solar activity.

"What k-index are you looking at? This one is off the chart for a good part of today. Intensity can change pretty quickly from hour to hour."

K-Index lite for android in play store from BizzTrade....

it is showing 7 right now also but was 1 when I looked this morning sometime.....

I give upl some of my 300mhz x10 alarm door switch transmitters can not make the short jump to the alarm box tonight. this has not happened for a month or more. I believe it is function of hi solar flares. I never knew of Kp index before getting a drone and blamed it on something WPAFB did every few months!

terrylowe said:
Aerostar said:
What are some good apps for iPhone to monitor magnetic activity?

Hover app

I didn't notice Hover had that. Checked my Hover app and it is 2 numbers higher than the other I use. I wonder which one is correct.

K-8 in New Hampshire yesterday.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1