Be careful of helicopters even when below 400 feet

I heard they aren't suppose to be under 500 feet looks like he was sightseeing next he will complain drone in his air space someone needs to regulate some of these idiots than mess with us so much
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1461269803.760986.jpg

Yeah,can't count on those numbers, anymore than you can count on a drone flyer to stay below 400[emoji41]
This one buzzed my scaffolding so close a month ago that I almost jumped off! This is heavy residential and I've flown in this neighborhood before with my UAV

Reactions: flpholt
checking out the home being built that is stupid cant believe how low they are

So, they can do whatever the Hell they want but we can't? Yeah..that's fair.

So, they can do whatever the Hell they want but we can't? Yeah..that's fair.
Fair? Come on now.

We don't have any idea why that aircraft was even in the area.

I fully admit WOW that helicopter is insanely low without knowing more I caution against jumping to conclusions. I would file a complaint with the FAA IF you can get the N# off of that helicopter and submit the picture as proof. But to blankly say "That's not fair" isn't really doing anyone any good. Remember we are working in the National Airspace System and there are rules and regulations for a reason. If you dig into the regs helicopters have a LOT more flexibility than most people would even want to know.

Reactions: TWP723 and SGs
Then maybe we all should buy helicopters! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Crawdaddyjc
Fair? Come on now.

Remember we are working in the National Airspace System and there are rules and regulations for a reason. If you dig into the regs helicopters have a LOT more flexibility than most people would even want to know.
I don't really care why he was in the area, and I don't really think he was doing anything wrong, at least to the best of my knowledge.
I just stumbled on this post and thought I'd share that pic! But I know I've never seen one that low before doing those type of circles around any neighborhood, (I would never fly a toy that close to powerlines like that),my first impression was that he was looking for his cheating wife's car and he was going to take the aircraft into the house[emoji41]

Reactions: flpholt
Honestly, there could be a plethora of reasons of why that copter is there. Looks privately owned though. Who knows? I do know this, substitute the building with an airport and the copter with a Phantom and the whole aviation world would lose its flippin' mind about how dangerous it is. But again, who knows. It's all speculation on why it's where it is. A still picture can have a dozen meanings.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Part 107: sUAS "Must yield right of way to other aircraft."
The bottom line is that ALL UAS are REQUIRED to give way to ANY/ALL other aircraft, at any altitude. All other aircraft have priority over any sUAS.
It remains to be seen what kind of damage would result from an sUAS collision with a larger aircraft, but that is not really relevant. Maybe we don't want to know.
As for other aircraft, when you see it, get out of the way and get down. When you hear it, get down. Don't take chances. That's how it is.
To Bocephus-73 To clarify, the 400ft AGL is an altitude limit ---only UNLESS there is another aircraft in that airspace.

Some of this discussion gives me the shivers.

Yes, I agree that you should descend ASAP whenever a manned aircraft is in close proximity. Human lives are more important than losing your $1300 plastic toy.

However if it did crash --- you would NOT be liable in any way. FAA clearly states UAV's may fly up to 400' AGL as long as they are not in restricted airspace. There is not a single court in the United States that could convict you of anything except being a responsible drone pilot. ;)

Regulations (and common sense) clearly state it is the drone operators responsibility to avoid all other aircraft, not matter what the altitude... period.

If it were a total accident that might be different, but if you clearly saw/heard them coming and did nothing to avoid them YOU would be at fault.

Reactions: Timtro
Regulations (and common sense) clearly state it is the drone operators responsibility to avoid all other aircraft, not matter what the altitude... period.

This is correct. However it's also the responsibility of the pilot of the plane to avoid your drone too. That's a question on the 107 test. It's both pilot's responsibility to avoid each other. The problem is visual footprint of the drone is small, which is good reason to have a DARK colored drone, being easier to see if it's at the same elevation as manned aircraft. I think pilots are becoming more aware of the risk at flying low (below 500'), such as over the ocean, or landing, etc. I would hope when they are below their 500' guideline, they have their eyes pealed for drones and birds. The noise of airplanes always make me pause to determine if there's a risk of conflict. I'm glad planes and helicopters are loud, I can usually hear them from miles away. Maybe future drones will have a mic onboard to listen to the surroundings, with mic noise cancellation for the drone props, to allow warnings to be displayed on the RC if another craft with a different prop or engine sound is nearby, complete with noise direction finding to point the camera at the nearby noise. How many years with that take? 5?

This is correct. However it's also the responsibility of the pilot of the plane to avoid your drone too. That's a question on the 107 test. It's both pilot's responsibility to avoid each other. The problem is visual footprint of the drone is small, which is good reason to have a DARK colored drone, being easier to see if it's at the same elevation as manned aircraft. I think pilots are becoming more aware of the risk at flying low (below 500'), such as over the ocean, or landing, etc. I would hope when they are below their 500' guideline, they have their eyes pealed for drones and birds. The noise of airplanes always make me pause to determine if there's a risk of conflict. I'm glad planes and helicopters are loud, I can usually hear them from miles away. Maybe future drones will have a mic onboard to listen to the surroundings, with mic noise cancellation for the drone props, to allow warnings to be displayed on the RC if another craft with a different prop or engine sound is nearby, complete with noise direction finding to point the camera at the nearby noise. How many years with that take? 5?

Yes, I'm always amazed at how many low flying helicopters cross my area semi-urban/rural ranch type area... they fly below 500 feet on a regular basis... kinda pisses me off.

I'm kinda with you there on the color thing.... however it the drone is below the other pilots horizon a light color is better and above a dark color is better... so Hummmm When I flew slope gliders a lot we always had the tops a light color and bottoms a dark color for this very reason. I did consider painting just the bottom half of one of my P2's flat black... but thought it would look a bit odd.... so I just painted the whole thing black :rolleyes:

Attachments

• BlackP2.jpg
    BlackP2.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 264
To avoid all potential risks you should only fly about 10 feet off the ground, obviously that is not practical. Twice now I have nearly been caught out. Once, flying in the countryside miles from any airport or flying route a jet came from behind at roof top height. Luckily I was flying much higher than him at the time. On another flight, I am sure my friend Tony on here will confirm if he reads this, I was flying on his farm. Just landed and a military jet tore across at tree top height.

I am most certainly NOT complaining about the aircraft. But flights like that come out of nowhere so to speak. Totally without warning. Three of us where in the field that day and not one of us saw or heard anything until he was over our heads.

However those idiots who deliberately fly near airports or aircraft should have their drones taken off them and burned. With a matching heavy fine. Only this week a national paper reported that another huge passenger Jet had a near miss just outside a UK major airport. Apparently the clip was put up on Youtube, though I have not seen it.

Since this subject has been discussed I have a question. I live in an area with a lot of military aircraft. I have been flying well within my legal boundaries. But lots of times military aircraft fly over at treetop heights. If there is a collision and I am flying legally what happens? I guess I probably go to prison. Does anyone know the liability here?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Helicopters are supposed to stay at above 500' in populated areas in case they have an engine failure and have to auto-rotate to the ground. At below 500' they don't have enough room to maneuver and risk crashing into somebody's house. Thus they put us at risk. That said, though, a UAV is way, waaaay lower on the scale of importance than a manned helicopter. If I see a helicopter enter my airspace, even if it's breaking the law, it is my moral and legal responsibility to get the hell out of the way, even if it means killing the power on my drone and ditching it. The lives of the people on the 'copter are much more important than my fancy toy.

Helicopters are supposed to stay at above 500' in populated areas in case they have an engine failure and have to auto-rotate to the ground. At below 500' they don't have enough room to maneuver and risk crashing into somebody's house. Thus they put us at risk. That said, though, a UAV is way, waaaay lower on the scale of importance than a manned helicopter. If I see a helicopter enter my airspace, even if it's breaking the law, it is my moral and legal responsibility to get the hell out of the way, even if it means killing the power on my drone and ditching it. The lives of the people on the 'copter are much more important than my fancy toy.

Thanks. I know to avoid them at all costs. This area is rural. I was asking because they can slip up on you. This area has very high tech aircraft. Stealth is their specialty. I have not had any close calls but I am concerned about this issue. Just trying to be responsible

If I'm hovering my P3P in a non-restricted airspace at 399' and a helicopter suddenly swooshes in and collides with it --- it's an unfortunate accident but I am still not liable according to the law. Only if I make an intentional maneuver to move my UAV into it's flight path will I be in trouble.

You're sure enough of your position to put it to the test?;)

Under any circumstances, a collision between a UAV and a heli will likely be found against the UAV. The only exception that comes to mind is if the heli pilot chooses to chase a drone, and incident that would fall under FAR § 91.13, potentially for both pilots.

Heli pilots do not have to stay above 500'. Rotorcraft are the exclusion to the Gen-Av requirement to stay above 500' agl.
You might want to read through FAR § 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General (d).
d. Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph B or C of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Fair? Come on now.

I fully admit WOW that helicopter is insanely low without knowing more I caution against jumping to conclusions. I would file a complaint with the FAA IF you can get the N# off of that helicopter and submit the picture as proof. But to blankly say "That's not fair" isn't really doing anyone any good. Remember we are working in the National Airspace System and there are rules and regulations for a reason. If you dig into the regs helicopters have a LOT more flexibility than most people would even want to know.

It's incredibly rare that an ASI would investigate a low-flying heli, and they'd likely require video to demonstrate the 91.13 violation should it exist.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/atl/local_more/media/nlowfly.pdf

Note at the bottom of the complaint form, the very clear paragraph regarding low-altitude helicopter flight.

is the video live somewhere? I dont see it live in the first post or anywhere else.

Oh - and I just wanted to toss this in as it happened where I used to go riding every weekend, speaking of dangerous Helo pilots.

Mind you this isn't just a B road - this is Mullholland Highway in the Santa Monica mountains

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

is the video live somewhere? I dont see it live in the first post or anywhere else.

Oh - and I just wanted to toss this in as it happened where I used to go riding every weekend, speaking of dangerous Helo pilots.

Mind you this isn't just a B road - this is Mullholland Highway in the Santa Monica mountains

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FWIW, you can search the N Number and identify the owner. Then start googling the owner or business. Doing so shows that his tourism service pilot has been before an FAA judge for safety violations. Easy to see why. This video however, is from 2010.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers