BC20-4 Stock P1/FC40 balance charger flashing "Hey, I'm broken"

Reaction score
So, today I went flying, surprise, surprise.
Came home and plugged in my chargers one at a time on the power strip, confirmed LiPo and 1 Amp selected, as usual.
The leads to the XT60 connector haven't been unplugged from the charger in months, so I know I did not cross them.
I got good test lights and normal ready to charge lights. Reached in my bag and grabbed some batteries.

1st up was one of my Turnigy MultiStar 4000 mAh batteries and I plugged in the XT60 from the charger.
:rolleyes: Here's where things are a bit grey in my knoggin. :rolleyes:
I seem to remember, MAYBE, having issues with the balance plug. I wasn't trying to plug it in upside-down, or in the wrong receptacle. I may have plugged and un-plugged and plugged it in quickly, or I just don't know what the heck I did. I just remember things didn't happen as usual, but I got good lights.

Connected the other 2 chargers to batteries, got normal lights, and walked away.

About an hour later I check and I get this, not my video but same **** thing.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you must know, the video is from one of our members from back in 2013. He never got a hit on his thread till today. Here's the thread: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/bc20-4-balance-charger-flashing-lights-is-this-normal.1807/

So, I start searching and find this video which shows lights flashing just like mine. The guy says I blew my charger by crossing the leads, which I did NOT. So, I'm thinking I know how to blow stuff up without having to do it like the guy before me. :D I watch the video, open my charger and find it's different from the guy's in the video... :(

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The problem is, I don't have that "safety strip" he has, and there is no visible damage.

My charger is a BC20-4, V-1.0. It was just as warm as the other 2 chargers. Yep, I feel how much heat is being produced.
The battery is a 9 month old Turnigy, MultiStar 4000. After removing the battery from the charger the cells read: 11.6 volts, C1 3.85, C2 3.88, C3 3.86. The battery was not warm or any more swollen than the day it arrived.

So here's the question:
Is it the charger, or is it the battery? It sounds like it's the charger, but both are parked until I figure out what the heck is going on.

Thanks folks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers