Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

BBC: Eagle shot wins drone photography competition

Discussion in 'News' started by Flying Cephlopod, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Flying Cephlopod

2. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

The irony is that the eagle was probably attacking the drone as most birds seem to hate them. The sparrows in LA are total a**holes about my Phantom. As soon as I get up a 100ft or so, little darting sparrows trying to take it out. And I probably have several shots of a red tailed hawk trying to either have sex or kill my Phantom (or both simultaneously). I could have won 1st easily!

And 3rd place has some issues. It looks great but it's a stadium full of people. Does Bulgaria not do TFRs? Is it OK to fly over 1,000s of people there?

3. Elginet

I've flown in the vicinity of Bald Eagles and they could care less. Hawks, by me anyway, are so curious they'll keep flying closer and closer until I move away. This morning I was flying in a subdivision that wasn't completed yet, had streets and lights, but no homes yet. I was practicing flying simple rectangles using ground station when I noticed 2 red-tail hawks, one on one lamp post, the other on a post across from it, just sitting there watching me. When seeinging them I took control over the phantom again in cas they did something, but they just watched....until a little Starling started straffing em, either playing or just being an a**hole. :)

While it's one thing though, flying in the vicinity of birds, it's quite another to be within a foot or so, especially of an Eagle. If that photo was in a contest here, someone would have bitched about it. Great pic....but could have ended badly for the bird.

4. lignow

Yes, I have one video I call " The Attack of the Sparrows"