BBC // Drones pose very small risk to aircraft

The risk of a small, consumer drone significantly damaging an aircraft is 'minimal', suggests a study.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I posted the same on my twitter feed but I do have a nagging concern that a lipo battery in a jet engine on take off or approach might not be fun for people onboard so I wish they flew one through an engine on a test rig and be done with this argument.

With possibly 100's of lives at risk, I don't think there is a level of "minimal" risk that would be acceptable.

Couldn't have said it better, there is no such thing as "less risky" when it comes to lives at risk, actions like the drone which nearly crashed with an Air France plane are with one word dumb and put the whole hobby into a bad light and it doesn't matter if the drone wouldn't even scratch the plane, that's not the point here.

Here they come...

I think some just don't get it. Hobby drones do not need to be in the same airspace as full size aircraft. Just because the Faa has made you register and maybe you think you have the same rights as a full size aircraft. ..you don't. You have a mishap and break a prop....you replace it and go fly again. If a full size aircraft has any issue like a prop strike or similar, it will have to go through all kinds of procedures to make it air worthy again...which cost money. The hobby flyer does not have to take training, have their aircraft certified, have annual inspections...which is not cheap. I got my license to fly in about 1986. I owned my own plane. It was expensive to keep up following all the ADs etc. Bottom line...some may think because the FAA is cracking down on them.....too bad. Since you can't control your responsibility. ..someone will do it for you. There are more things flying than certified aircraft. Legally. Ultralight aircraft for example. They don't need a drone in their face. If while I was on final landing my C150 and a drone was my face or hit me, I may not have come out well especially if I was a new flyer. The whole problem is the jerks. No problems by the people....no new laws or restrictions to be made.

Reactions: Elysion

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20