Battle Drone

Reaction score
I had to laugh tonight.

I am draining battery on my vision plus and testing Kenargo's app for the plus.

Also getting the P2 ready to do some flying . NE Ohio finally got temps above 20 and 2 mph wind.

The tv was on in garage and Hawai 50 comes on.

A scene is on with them being chased by a battle drone firing twin 7.62 auto after it murdered some folks.

Dam the batteries and motors that thing must have... love to find that fly away.

no wonder folks are getting Leary of our toys!

Hi,

It obviously wasn't a Phantom because the recoil would have shattered the fuselage. I have had two of them develop cracks in the bottom shell which I had to replace due to fear it would let a motor come flying out in flight. Neither of my Phantoms have even had a hard landing much less a crash. Now even one of the ones that I replaced has started developing a crack. I now lay in a layer of epoxy all around the motor mounts in an attempt to prevent any further cracking. I have always balanced my props and have been very careful not to over tighten the screws when reassembling. I guess the plastic they use just isn't tough enough to last.

Going to make a trip this week to take a look at and test fly a Yuneec Q500 Typhoon. I have read they are much more solid than a Phantom and no fear of a fly away. 4K video soon will be the clincher for me.

Regards

Regards,

John

johnp44 said:
Hi,

It obviously wasn't a Phantom because the recoil would have shattered the fuselage. I have had two of them develop cracks in the bottom shell which I had to replace due to fear it would let a motor come flying out in flight. Neither of my Phantoms have even had a hard landing much less a crash. Now even one of the ones that I replaced has started developing a crack. I now lay in a layer of epoxy all around the motor mounts in an attempt to prevent any further cracking. I have always balanced my props and have been very careful not to over tighten the screws when reassembling. I guess the plastic they use just isn't tough enough to last.

Going to make a trip this week to take a look at and test fly a Yuneec Q500 Typhoon. I have read they are much more solid than a Phantom and no fear of a fly away. 4K video soon will be the clincher for me.

Regards,

John

Perhaps a plastic pellet pistol? Or a rubber band pistol?

johnp44 said:
Hi,

Regards

Regards,

John

In all seriousness, what Phantom models do you have? Do you land or hand catch? Have you been doing a lot of flying in very cold temperatures ? The latter is the only reason I can see for the problems you are having. Is it always one shell or both?

Sorry for all the questions, I have an inquiring mind! :)

PhantomFanatic said:
johnp44 said:
Hi,

Regards

Regards,

John

In all seriousness, what Phantom models do you have? Do you land or hand catch? Have you been doing a lot of flying in very cold temperatures ? The latter is the only reason I can see for the problems you are having. Is it always one shell or both?

Sorry for all the questions, I have an inquiring mind! :)

Howdy,

They are a Vision 2 and a Vision 2 + V3. The problem has been only in the lower shell so far. Always in the area where the motors are mounted. In my Vision 2, I really think that the screws were over tightened when it was first assembled because it was very difficult to remove them. When I replaced the shell I was very careful not to over torque them and rely on the thread lock to hold them in. I do check them occasionally to be sure they aren't getting loose.

As for temperature, the VIsion 2 started cracking back in the late fall when temps were still above 60 F deg. I don't think temperature is the problem. I think the plastic is a little on the brittle side.

Most the time I hand catch it unless I feel like showing off for friends. I am pretty gentle when get I grab hold of it because I had thoughts that hand catching might be the problem. The cracks develop where the motor mounts into the bottom shell.

Actually, I am curious too and will make a separate posting with a couple pictures on the subject of cracking shells. Maybe others might have some input.

Regards,

John

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31