Battery warning starting at 56% why ?

harbourside said:
The battery warning is "intelligent" so if you are say 300m out it will warn you as it calculates how much power Is needed to return to home safely.
If you are close to the Phantom it will not warn you until it is at a much lower percentage.

Well that's my take on it from reading the manual, but I could be wrong.....

The warning feature you describe, only applies to setting "waypoints"(AFAIK, Unless, there are new features I'm at revision 3.0)...it can calculate the battery requirements for the missions distance and return to home point, and advises "IF" there is not enough power for the distances you have assigned for that mission.
However,...it does NOT do this as a matter of regular flying. Non-Waypoint flying! ...all you'll get is a 30% warning claxton and I believe a 15% warning before the battery goes into auto-land. A feature which parameters we used to be able to set ourselves in earlier revisions.

Check your cells in the assistant software, the count should be relatively close to each other. A cell that is not fairly closely matched may be the culprit.

Every 20 cycles, It is recommended to discharge down to 8 percent before a full recharge...(see assistant for the current number of cycles already logged.)

Its also advised (in the Manual) to store your batteries in a cool place. and to store them at 50% charge when not in use.

Some people get bad batteries or they go bad quickly. Look for any noticeable swelling. If your battery is new and you continue to get errors, Call your retailer and see about a replacement.

Ive had one battery give erroneous alarm when the battery was reading 44% My Vision has the newer style data pins, so I don't think that's a problem here. I think its smart battery tech, combined with the nature of the type of battery it is.

I don't believe DJI tested this smart technology very well...or simply these "Lithium Polymer" batteries are just flakey, and they'll never be very reliable.
I'd like to see DJI improve upon them, and give us some confidence that our Phantoms are not going to fall out of the sky.

Are our batteries failing at an unacceptable rate ????

Jay said:
Hi all
Recently i upgraded the data pins on my p2v as i was getting a battery communication error.That has gone now but now I'm getting low battery warning starting at 56% then a few times after that as well.Does anyone know what is causing this problem ? :( it does the same on both my battery's one is new the other a bit older

Hi all
Been testing my phantom with my friends battery in it and it showed no low battery warnings till 20% . So it looks like my new battery is faulty and my older battery is also. Going to try and get a replacement one

The email from dji was funny i asked why my phantom flipped itself upside down they said maybe i was descending too fast :lol:

RCRookie said:
harbourside said:
The battery warning is "intelligent" so if you are say 300m out it will warn you as it calculates how much power Is needed to return to home safely.
If you are close to the Phantom it will not warn you until it is at a much lower percentage.

Well that's my take on it from reading the manual, but I could be wrong.....

The warning feature you describe, only applies to setting "waypoints"(AFAIK, Unless, there are new features I'm at revision 3.0)...it can calculate the battery requirements for the missions distance and return to home point, and advises "IF" there is not enough power for the distances you have assigned for that mission.
However,...it does NOT do this as a matter of regular flying. Non-Waypoint flying! ...all you'll get is a 30% warning claxton and I believe a 15% warning before the battery goes into auto-land. A feature which parameters we used to be able to set ourselves in earlier revisions.

Not that it matters (we all know the manual is often wrong), but here's what the manual says:

User Manual V1.4
July 2014 Revision
(which I do believe is the latest version, and covers firmware v.3.0.6)

Section 11 - Flight
Subsection 11.5 Low Battery Level Warning Function

If the DJI smart battery is depleted to a point that may affect the safe return of the aircraft, the low battery level
warning notifies users to take action. Users are advised to land the aircraft immediately when they observe
these warnings. The thresholds for these warnings are automatically determined based on the current aircraft
altitude and its distance from the Home point

Re: Low Battery claxton sounds off at 44%?

RCRookie said:
What app displays actual output voltage while flying? The battery percentage on the android app 1.0.50
was 44% when i got the claxton (no onscreen errors).

Let me know how to check actual "cell output" WHILE in the air. I wasn't aware that data was available.

I have a Phantom 2 (non-vision) the levels come from the iOSD mini and show up on my monitor. See this video of the OSD.
Mini will go into autoland just as it reaches 92% or about 1 to 2 minutes of hovering. I have a video that shows the battery level indicator go from full charge to zero from the DJI osd mini.
http://youtu.be/K8YaDtoFVi4

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8YaDtoFVi4[/youtube]

Really funny, all data looks quite ok. Too bad that this data cannot be monitored while the motors are running. Would be interesting to see how the voltage of each cell will behave under load.
I can only imagine that the inner resisance of a cell is that high that under load the total battery voltage will drop below 10.7V, even if the battery's capcacity is still far above 20%.

Regards, Gerd

UPDATE from original post:

My Vision gave the claxton alarm at 44% battery level for no apparent reason.

I've since ran all my batteries down to 8%... Recharged, flew again this time with no errors or claxton.
My cycles were only at 11, so the depletion/recharge was earlier than the manual recommends.

It flew fine with no errors.

I clean my data pins with DeOxit every few flights so, i have to put this down to a fluke and hope it does not happen again.

The Rookie

Geert said:
4wd said:
I spotted that on youtube Geert.
Is this the same battery or another one doing it?

This is another battery.
I made this flight yesterday afternoon and posted on YouTube.
This battery is also going back to the dealer first thing in the morning, that is the 3th battery.

Geert./.
Hi was this a new version battery with the square pads that the data pins contact ?

According to a screenshot above, the software allows you to change of when the low battery starts to auto land wherever it is located. I flew this morning to test a battery that is giving me an issue and failing itself. I put in another battery and flew and went well, however, when I got to the 30% warning, it almost immediately started to auto land straight down where it was at and it was no more than 20 foot high and 20 foot away from me and at 29% battery. It used to not do this until my last upgrade and I really hate this feature and can't see how to turn it off such as screenshot above as my screen on the software looks a lot different. See attached which looks much different. Anyway to stop it from auto landing/dropping at a much lower battery percent? I used to bring it home upon warning, but now it will drop at warning which seems POOR!

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 305
I've had this early battery warning and autolanding issue off and on since January. It actually first started with my first flight after draining the battery below 8% per the manual, but I doubt that's causative.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6488&hilit=autolanding
I called DJI a few days ago after early autolanding nearly put the P2V on top of some 100' trees. They said this is a common problem, and I had to send the copter in, not just the battery. They said 4-6 weeks turnaround time. So I sent it in. Tempted to buy a P2V+ and sell the P2V when it comes back.

MikeON said:
I've had this early battery warning and autolanding issue off and on since January. It actually first started with my first flight after draining the battery below 8% per the manual, but I doubt that's causative.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6488&hilit=autolanding
I called DJI a few days ago after early autolanding nearly put the P2V on top of some 100' trees. They said this is a common problem, and I had to send the copter in, not just the battery. They said 4-6 weeks turnaround time. So I sent it in. Tempted to buy a P2V+ and sell the P2V when it comes back.

You wasted your time sending it in its just the battery ive had 3 do it to me so far. 3 DJI batteries but I have bought 3 nukerc batteries and have over 60 flights on them and haven't had one problem yet. I think they may be made better than the DJI batteries

Geert said:
I had 4 batteries replaced by DJI. I doubt there is a problem with your Phantom. The batteries are the problem.
Geert./.
I questioned the DJI rep about that while on the phone. Told him I have a second battery and would like to fly during those 4-6 weeks. He went and asked the techs and they said I had to send the Phantom in. Oh well, maybe I'll get some yard work done while my Phantom is away.

Geert said:
MikeON said:
I questioned the DJI rep about that while on the phone. Told him I have a second battery and would like to fly during those 4-6 weeks. He went and asked the techs and they said I had to send the Phantom in. Oh well, maybe I'll get some yard work done while my Phantom is away.

Keep us informed, I would like to know what they exactly will repair on your Phantom. :roll:

Geert./.

Got the email that my P2V was checked in to queue on 3 Nov at 1:14 PM. An email at 3:57 PM (same day) said they replaced the battery, 1 CW motor, and gimbal. An email at 4:33 PM said it was shipped back to me. Not sure why the motor and gimbal, but it does sound smoother and quieter since getting it back. They also threw in a set of props (2CW and 2CCW).

My pictures had always been soft-focus on the right side, and I had added a note about that when sending it in. Maybe they replaced the whole camera, because the dozen or so stills I've taken since seem sharper.

My 4 flights since getting it back have given "normal" behavior regarding the battery warning. The repair was done at DJI in Torrance CA. Sure can't complain about this service.

Hi I have had the same problem Geert 2 bad battery's I have had them for 6 months one started to give a warning at 43% at 3000 feet out got it back ok only just it was falling fast only had 20% when landed. Then the second battery done the same a week later and they just get worse as you still keep using them tried the first one 2 times again it's coming up with a warning at 55% now and auto lands

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl