Battery Warning Question

Reaction score
Done 5 flights with my P2 zenmuse and I seem to be getting about 16 minutes from the smart battery. Seems short, but I've been flying in mostly temps in the 30's so I know that saps the batteries.

Today I flew in about 18 degrees fahrenheit. We noticed the red flashing at about 15+ mins, so after about 1 minute we were bringing it back and were going to try a catch landing. But when my son let off the controls at about 12', it just kept slowly dropping and landed itself. So I assume it was out of battery. But when it came down, it looked like 1 battery light was on, with 1 light blinking, indicating the battery is low, but not almost completely dead for it to auto land.

And thus far we have yet to hear an audible battery warning on any of our flights. We've noticed it flashing red (what I think is fast red) and then we have landed. But I thought there was supposed to be an audible warning and slow red flashes at 30% and then another audible and faster red at 15%. I checked in the software, and the 30% and 15% defaults are in there. I don't see any setting for warning beeps, so not sure if those can be activated in the settings. Is any of this normal?

The lack of warning makes me nervous. We have an FPV and iOSD Mini setup ordered and so hopefully that will help us with knowing what battery life is left.

Thanks.

The audible alarm on my P2V comes from my smartphone. Is the P2 the similar? If so, was your volume (iOSD, whatever) turned down? When I was first flying I had my phone at about half volume and I could barely hear the alarm over the sound of the Phantom (it was close by).

What altitude you're at?
I get about 16-18 minutes of flight time out of one battery until it's down to about 10%.
I was concerned about it because the advertisement claims around 25 minutes of flight time. After looking around for possible causes, I found out that flying in higher altitude drains the batteries quicker because the motors have to work harder to keep the quad up in the thinner air compared to sea level.

I'm flying at 6-7000 feet altitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Miniflexalex said:
What altitude you're at?
I get about 16-18 minutes of flight time out of one battery until it's down to about 10%.
I was concerned about it because the advertisement claims around 25 minutes of flight time. After looking around for possible causes, I found out that flying in higher altitude drains the batteries quicker because the motors have to work harder to keep the quad up in the thinner air compared to sea level.

I'm flying near sea level (@ 300ft). I've sent it up to 150+ feet which I'm sure taxes the battery a bit just getting up there. But I'm told the cold will shorten flight times so not overly concerned about that just yet. I think 25 mins is with no gimbal and gopro maybe? But it's the lack of audible alarm that alarms me :lol:

The audible alarm on my P2V comes from my smartphone. Is the P2 the similar? If so, was your volume (iOSD, whatever) turned down? When I was first flying I had my phone at about half volume and I could barely hear the alarm over the sound of the Phantom (it was close by
No smartphone for the P2. But I've seen an original phantom fly and it gave audible beeps from the quad itself at each warning level. I don't get the beeps and it seems to only have 1 stage of red lights. I thought there were slow flashing red at 30% and then fast flashing red at 15% along with warning sounds.

CJ31 said:
Done 5 flights with my P2 zenmuse and I seem to be getting about 16 minutes from the smart battery. Seems short, but I've been flying in mostly temps in the 30's so I know that saps the batteries.

Today I flew in about 18 degrees fahrenheit. We noticed the red flashing at about 15+ mins, so after about 1 minute we were bringing it back and were going to try a catch landing. But when my son let off the controls at about 12', it just kept slowly dropping and landed itself. So I assume it was out of battery. But when it came down, it looked like 1 battery light was on, with 1 light blinking, indicating the battery is low, but not almost completely dead for it to auto land.

And thus far we have yet to hear an audible battery warning on any of our flights. We've noticed it flashing red (what I think is fast red) and then we have landed. But I thought there was supposed to be an audible warning and slow red flashes at 30% and then another audible and faster red at 15%. I checked in the software, and the 30% and 15% defaults are in there. I don't see any setting for warning beeps, so not sure if those can be activated in the settings. Is any of this normal?

The lack of warning makes me nervous. We have an FPV and iOSD Mini setup ordered and so hopefully that will help us with knowing what battery life is left.

Thanks.
My problem is that My Phantom 2 auto-lands RELIGIOUSLY with 30% battery and the controller in Phantom 2 mode or Naza Mode... AND YOU HAD BETTER BE READY! It took me a minute to figure what the heck was going on. There is a firmware update that was supposed to fix a battery level glitch has done nothing for me. I have messed with the warning levels and unfortunately that did not fix the problem. I have NEVER heard ANY audible at any time other than at start up or while updating the main controller's firmware. I have the iosd mini and that is how I was able to pin it down to 30%. As soon as my Phantom 2 activates that first battery level warning... down it comes! If you are flying low level then you had better be quick AND WITH EYES ON IT or the thing is going straight into the dirt!

Attachments

• Firmware_Update.jpg
    Firmware_Update.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 710
CJ31 said:
But I've seen an original phantom fly and it gave audible beeps from the quad itself at each warning level.

I have a Phantom 1 (v1.2) and I've never had audible warnings from the Phantom for the battery level, or anything else after motor startup.

CJ31 said:
Done 5 flights with my P2 zenmuse and I seem to be getting about 16 minutes from the smart battery. Seems short

The other thing to remember is that you've only done five flights. These batteries take quite a few charge/discharge cycles before they are performing at their best. See how it goes over the next 10-15 cycles.

goldfishrock said:
CJ31 said:
Done 5 flights with my P2 zenmuse and I seem to be getting about 16 minutes from the smart battery. Seems short

The other thing to remember is that you've only done five flights. These batteries take quite a few charge/discharge cycles before they are performing at their best. See how it goes over the next 10-15 cycles.
Thanks. But I'm not as concerned about the flight time as the lack of warnings. I know I heard a phantom 1 actually give an audible alarm at low battery. Maybe he had done some type of mod. From that I just assumed it would alert you with a sound. So what are the 'warnings' that the software talks about at 30% and 15%? Just the flashing red lights? And if so, I thought it was supposed to flash slow red at 30% and fast at 15%.

But I also think that it auto landed yesterday with 30% like Colorado said. Hopefully it's due to the 18 degrees I was flying in and not a software issue.

CJ31 said:
Just the flashing red lights? And if so, I thought it was supposed to flash slow red at 30% and fast at 15%

Yep, that's exactly what happens. There is no audible alarm or any other visual indication. Get yourself an IOSD and FPV setup.... that way you can see the exact voltage that the battery has left

The problem here is that the first two battery level warnings use a different criteria than the third. 30%, 15% and then 10.6V. It is possible that in very cold temps, the voltage may dip below the third level alarm threshold earlier than normal. You can keep the Phantom flying but you have to push the throttle to nearly full to maintain altitude. Only do this to prevent a crash and land ASAP.

That would make more sense if that's the case. Hopefully warmer weather is around the corner and it will no longer be an issue.

We're you able to find the answer to your problem? I'm experiencing the same thing and I'm wondering what the cause is.

I use a P2V and get battery warnings from my iPhone, that's why I put, "Turn iPhone Volum Up" on my pre-flight checklist.

newportoz said:
Has anyone here finally resolved the autolanding at 30% battery? I have the same issue!

Have you updated to the latest firmware just to be sure you're using the most recent firmware from DJI?

I regularly fly until 25%, as indicated by the LED indicators on the battery, which is a few minutes after the 30% warning via LED flashes and my P2 has never tried to land itself.

If, after updating to the latest firmware, you still have this problem, I would suggest testing with another battery if you have one available.

P.S. - I have not updated to the latest firmware, as I have no need for the iOS Ground Station and I am having no issues at all with the prior firmware version.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

I get first warn at 30% and then autoland begins at about 14%... Using firmware 2.0

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj