Battery Voltage

Reaction score
hey guys, could someone possibly explain the causes for sudden voltage drops, and whats safe and what isnt, 3 batteries, 2 of which are new, 2/3 showing me amber (even red sometime) always 100% charged before flight. Is temperature the major factor here or am I doing something wrong, currently 3-5 degrees celsius.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

currently 3-5 degrees celsius.
that is probably the problem
I don't even bother flying my phantom in the winter, the battery can have unsafe drops. I wouldn't fly it too far away so that if it goes from 60% to 30% you can get it back in time
this problem with probably go away in the spring/summer

I had the same thing , if you plug your flight logs into healthy drones did it show major variances ?? I think it's just the cold.

Please warm your batteries before flying in cold temperatures to get best out of them.

People have flown in negative temperatures without issues. No doubt there is loss of battery power at low temperatures but it's fun to fly over white fields.

Major battery deviations

In my case at least the batteries were warned well within a safe range I think. No issues per se, just some battery variances but I'm blaming them on the cold & the batteries being new and needing to be " broken in a bit "

Thx nick !!

A basic understanding of LiPO chemistry and function would help immensely. LiPOs can be used in the cold. But that requires attention and special care. Depending on many factors (outside temperature, battery takeoff temperature, current draw, average and burst limits, cell condition and balance, IR, etc.) it can underperform in specific situations. All that can vary quite a bit. Much of that is established, accepted and was determined throughout years of trial-and-error by the fierce and relentless RC hobby community. It's really no big mystery, just something new for new pilots.

So, if P3 pilots can get a real and good grasp of LiPOs, problems - and anxiety - can be minimized, and eventual problems can be better analyzed a posteriori too. I'd recommend a good research and if possible, some tech talk with RC hobbyists who are very knowledgeable and (usually) friendly. Visit clubs, shops and meetings and all this P3 battery mystery will become perhaps less mysterious :D After all, the idea is to enjoy P3s the most.

Do some real world testing in a safe environment yourself. Get into a big open field and try full ascents and full throttle movements while looking at the battery individual voltage meter on the screen.

You'll soon get to know what happens when the battery is cold v when it has warmed up through use. Bit like driving the car. You warm it up a bit before giving it the beans. At least, you should do!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4