Battery upgrades

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting either a larger battery or do a double battery setup to get longer run time

I have seen a few phantom owners do this and it seems the results are mixed

I would like to get two 5200mah 3cell lipos and do a double battery setup if I could and it not fry anything

Any ideas?

I Doubt it will be fly able. Way too heavy.

If you have go pro and gimbal it will be way past max payload.

ericdes said:
I Doubt it will be fly able. Way too heavy.

If you have go pro and gimbal it will be way past max payload.

Still stock with the fc40 camera no go pro or gimbal(don't plan on getting either anytime soon)

So should I just get extra stock batteries?

What exactly are you trying to do with the Phantom?

Batteries have been discussed in length here.

You will need several batteries, depending on what you are doing.
The bigger the battery, the longer they need to charge.
Phantom batteries are only 2200, but are good quality dependable batteries.
Don't but any brand you never heard of, LIPO's are finicky and have been know to explode while charging.
Maddog 2800 seem to be the preferred battery but are out of stock almost everywhere right now.

Dual batteries is not dual flight times.
ex:
1 battery = 10 minute flight time
2 batteries = 15 minute flight time (heavier), less maneuverable.

2 maddogs in dual setup for distance might be an option.

Some have even put a Phantom 2 shell and slapped in 2 Phantom batteries in the bigger tray,

ericdes said:
What exactly are you trying to do with the Phantom?

Batteries have been discussed in length here.

You will need several batteries, depending on what you are doing.
The bigger the battery, the longer they need to charge.
Phantom batteries are only 2200, but are good quality dependable batteries.
Don't but any brand you never heard of, LIPO's are finicky and have been know to explode while charging.
Maddog 2800 seem to be the preferred battery but are out of stock almost everywhere right now.

Dual batteries is not dual flight times.
ex:
1 battery = 10 minute flight time
2 batteries = 15 minute flight time (heavier), less maneuverable.

2 maddogs in dual setup for distance might be an option.

Some have even put a Phantom 2 shell and slapped in 2 Phantom batteries in the bigger tray,

I had found a dual battery tray with two 2500mah batteries included for a great deal(now can't find it)

Mainly would like to be able to get more then one flight in compared to the stock battery

I seen on many forums that the mad dog batteries are used with the phantom with great results

I enjoy flying my phantom(when the weather permits) and having longer flight time would be great

If the mad dog battery will drop in without modding the battery compartment that would be great

I am used to the nimh batteries my rc trucks use and this is my first with lipo batteries is why I ask

I didn't get to fly today due to snow(which sucks)

I will make a thread of some upgrades I plan on doing later on(one may be a better camera for the fpv)

Will this battery work?

http://www.2dogrc.com/mad-dog-2700-mah- ... -xt60.html

Its plug and play and its higher capacity then the stock battery

I would use both batteries(use one then swap out) to get longer flight time though I foresee getting more of the same battery in the link if it works

Anyone thought of looking for a lighter battery instead of a heavier with more capacity?

I know the Zippy compact range from Hobbyking are quite good with weight vs capacity.

FC40 Pilot said:
Anyone thought of looking for a lighter battery instead of a heavier with more capacity?

I know the Zippy compact range from Hobbyking are quite good with weight vs capacity.

I have noticed that any links to any that's close to the same ma rating as the phantom 2's battery that will work in the fc40(I know but like long runtimes)

I bought a bunch of these batteries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072A ... UTF8&psc=1

I run twin 2200 batteries, a gopro, FC40 camera and some other goodies and can get over 12 minutes of aggressive flight time. I have gotten 18 minutes of nice smooth flying when concentrating on having good video. I have no problem with adding a gimbal to the mix. Sure, it is heavier but it is still super stable and if you know how to fly your craft, it's not an issue. Apply simple physics and you will be fine. If you send it ripping towards something, be it a tree or the ground, it will 100% take a lot more room to change directions.

Here is my current build weighing in at 2.8 pounds.
Phantom FC40
Twin carbon fiber outboard battery mounts
Carbon fiber anti-jello kit w/ front FPV mount plate used to relocate FC40 camera
Gopro Hero2 naked w/ DJI loop attachment mounted to carbon fiber anti-jello mount
Carbon fiber rear FPV mount plate used to mount Lipo alarm
9.5" P2V props w/o guards
LiPo alarm w/ balance cable extension

bd0a196d-d1f2-4edb-9488-7986143f8164_zps9e193365.jpg

BMc said:
I bought a bunch of these batteries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072A ... UTF8&psc=1

I run twin 2200 batteries, a gopro, FC40 camera and some other goodies and can get over 12 minutes of aggressive flight time. I have gotten 18 minutes of nice smooth flying when concentrating on having good video. I have no problem with adding a gimbal to the mix. Sure, it is heavier but it is still super stable and if you know how to fly your craft, it's not an issue. Apply simple physics and you will be fine. If you send it ripping towards something, be it a tree or the ground, it will 100% take a lot more room to change directions.

Here is my current build weighing in at 2.8 pounds.
Phantom FC40
Twin carbon fiber outboard battery mounts
Carbon fiber anti-jello kit w/ front FPV mount plate used to relocate FC40 camera
Gopro Hero2 naked w/ DJI loop attachment mounted to carbon fiber anti-jello mount
Carbon fiber rear FPV mount plate used to mount Lipo alarm
9.5" P2V props w/o guards
LiPo alarm w/ balance cable extension

bd0a196d-d1f2-4edb-9488-7986143f8164_zps9e193365.jpg

I got the link. I will stock up on a few at that price(will be getting a dual battery plate also)

Since I am mainly smooth flying(I leave the rough stuff to my mini quad) with my phantom(practicing for getting smooth fpv video)

What is the run time you think I would get since my phantom is stock(love how you have the go pro and the stock camera setup it looks cool)

If you mind telling what charger you are using as I am still using the factory one (it works like it should)

The main reason I want longer battery life is so I can fly around my property(big area)the fpv feature is the icing on the cake for me(i tried it during the last flight loved it)

I would highly recommend going to the Phantom 2 Vision props. They also sell them at B&H Photo. They will run you almost $40 but they are real DJO props. You can get cheap clones on amazon (I have a set of those too as a spare set) however they cannot be mixed because the are slightly different and will cause issues with stable flight. Run 4 DJI props or 4 cheap ones but not mixed. This helped me be able to carry more.

Now to answer your question it's hard to say because I only know my flight times based on the progression of my quad. I can say that as it sits right now I can get 13 minutes of 'zipping around' before my buzzer sounds (set at 3.7v per cell) which still gives me 2-3 minutes to land. That makes a total of 15 minutes or so until it says no more! Now, when I fly super smooth and gentle for focusing on good camera shots, I get closer to 18 minutes until the buzzer sounds. This would end up being about 20 minutes max before it attempts to auto-land. If you are not carrying a gopro, you should be able to get 20+ minutes pretty easily with the P2V props. I was only on stock props for a week. 2 batteries, gopro in waterproof case, fc40 cam, prop guards and stock 8" props, I was getting 6-7 minutes before the buzzer sounded. It was wayyyy too heavy. I dropped the waterproof case and the prop guards and jumped up to the 9.5" P2V props. Boom, doubled the flight time.

As for charger, I am still rocking the factory one. I don't fly all that much so I just charge them one by one the day before I fly. I may actually buy a second one since they are so cheap. I really don't need to rapid charge at this point.

Cheers!

I will be getting the vision props soon along with a few extra batteries

I haven't timed my flights yet but will start so I can see how long it is before I get the warning

Thanks for the help

No problem. Glad to help!

Hi there,
I tried the following configs with quite aggressive fly
(-) 1 2200mAh phantom battery + VC40 camera + standard props + prop guards => approx 8mins
(-) 2 2200mAh phantom battery with twin carbon fiber outboard battery mounts + VC40 camera + standard props + prop guards => approx 12mins
(-) 3 2200mAh phantom battery with twin carbon fiber outboard battery mounts + VC40 camera + standard props + prop guards => approx 12mins :-( In this config my phantom is very very heavy (approx 1 291grams)
I've not tested witouh prop guards but I think I can save few 3-4mins, I'll try and keep you guys updated
meaning that using the three batteries alone changing the battery when discharged, I can enjoy (in three round) up to 24mins.... but I need to stop each time single battery discharges

PS: I've ordered phantom 2 props (DJI original), let's wait and try

antpoli said:
Hi there,
I tried the following configs with quite aggressive fly
(-) 1 2200mAh phantom battery + VC40 camera + standard props + prop guards => approx 8mins
(-) 2 2200mAh phantom battery with twin carbon fiber outboard battery mounts + VC40 camera + standard props + prop guards => approx 12mins
(-) 3 2200mAh phantom battery with twin carbon fiber outboard battery mounts + VC40 camera + standard props + prop guards => approx 12mins :-( In this config my phantom is very very heavy (approx 1 291grams)
I've not tested witouh prop guards but I think I can save few 3-4mins, I'll try and keep you guys updated
meaning that using the three batteries alone changing the battery when discharged, I can enjoy (in three round) up to 24mins.... but I need to stop each time single battery discharges

PS: I've ordered phantom 2 props (DJI original), let's wait and try

i have decided on not getting the prop guards as i don't have the room to fly my phantom indoors(currently have two smaller quads for that)
12 mins ain't bad

i wonder if higher capacity batteries would make a difference(say 2800mah)

it seems the p2v props are a popular upgrade(got to grab me a set soon)

i was able to get a 5 min video(camera battery wasn't fully charged) but i still had power to spare though i think i was close to the warning(phantom was acting odd so didn't fly much after video even though i have a tether to prevent a possible flyaway)

i will be making a longer tether soon since i am more used to how it flies(not chancing it flying away)

going to fly more tomorrow hopefully the phantom feels up to it and i can keep my cat from chasing the tether line(checked everything on the flight controller with my laptop and its good also did the compass dance so well see how it does tomorrow)

I got a Mad Dog 2700 and managed a solid 12 minutes before red flashes using everything stock which is the best I've gotten so far. I'm going to pick up another one because its the best I've found so far. I've also tried the Zippy 2800 and get about the same as the OEM DJI 2200. The OEM DJI vision props are for sure a good way to go to get extra flight time. I tried some "authentic" phantom props from Amazon which were not "authentic" and my phantom was too dangerous to fly as it was out of control. I would highly recommend only using original DJI phantom 2 props if you are looking at upgrading props..

jetdust said:
I got a Mad Dog 2700 and managed a solid 12 minutes before red flashes using everything stock which is the best I've gotten so far. I'm going to pick up another one because its the best I've found so far. I've also tried the Zippy 2800 and get about the same as the OEM DJI 2200. The OEM DJI vision props are for sure a good way to go to get extra flight time. I tried some "authentic" phantom props from Amazon which were not "authentic" and my phantom was too dangerous to fly as it was out of control. I would highly recommend only using original DJI phantom 2 props if you are looking at upgrading props..

Thanks for the heads up on the props from amazon(I found some at b and h photo that are real dji p2v props)

I hope I can continue flying my phantom as twice it has wanted to drift

First time it wash bad(just a slight drift and you could barely tell it in the video) this last time it drifted like mad(the wind may have had a hand in it but I had full GPS signal during this flight)

I will post a separate thread if the issue keeps up(already done the Imu calibration twice no change)
I am almost afraid to fly it with the drifting issue as it almost hit my truck while drifting(yes I haven't flown really high because of this but still not cool)

Depending on how close to the ground you are staying the phantom will drift a bit due to the prop wash off of the ground when too close... I have found that once up beyond 10' or so it stabilizes quite a bit..

jetdust said:
Depending on how close to the ground you are staying the phantom will drift a bit due to the prop wash off of the ground when too close... I have found that once up beyond 10' or so it stabilizes quite a bit..

I can confirm that if too close to ground (less than 1.5mt) the drift is quite big

I had it 15 feet up when it drifted(i don't start moving it around till its at least 10+ off the ground at take off)

I have flown five times with 2 having drifting issues

No mods and still with the stock rotors

I have even done one low flight and it didn't drift(this is weird) I think I may contact the hobby shop I got it from and see what they think if should do

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1