Battery swelling

Reaction score
I have 4 batteries and two of them show some significant swelling while the other two (new ones) are fine. Other than the swelling, I don't see any issues with the batteries including flight time. The two batteries that show the swelling are a few months older and have probably seen 15 recharge cycles. Is this normal? Is there any risk?

Swelling batteries are a sign of imminent failure and possibly a fire risk. They are designed to swell when it starts going bad for any number of reasons and once it starts, you should cease usage and dispose of it properly. In general, you should not see swelling early in the batteries life. It could possibly fail early due to improper storage of the battery, but that is only one scenario.

I agree with RMF. Not a good sign at all, and I don't recommend you continue using them. You mention the swollen batteries only have 15 cycles. How far down have you been discharging them? Are you charging them the moment you remove them from the aircraft while they are still warm? Are you allowing them to sit for long periods with a full charge? Li-Pos prefer to be stored at around 40% charge. Are you storing them in a hot environment like your car?

I don't charge them until I get home. I have left them on the charger overnight and I do keep my case with Phantom and batteries in the back of my car. Who do you email at DJI to get them replaced?

gdbrown56 said:
I don't charge them until I get home. I have left them on the charger overnight and I do keep my case with Phantom and batteries in the back of my car. Who do you email at DJI to get them replaced?

I would contact the dealer from which you purchased them from first. If you purchased them from DJI, go on their site to support and you should find an email or phone contact. How hot is it where you are located? Storing them in the car may be too hot.

I am in South Florida. The car is usually I garage at work or at home.

I ordered my first Phantom Vision from Amazon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav