Battery Maintenance

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I'm interested in getting input from fellow pilots on the topic of battery maintenance. In all the years I've flown in this hobby, I've never intentionally dropped my LiPo battery down to 8%. DJI recommends cycling your battery down to 8% every 20 charges to "exercise" the cells. I've read a couple of instances where individuals have damaged their battery as a result of following these recommendations.... and understandably so. Maybe I'm missing something here, or there's some sort of new LiPo technology that I haven't caught on with yet... but doesn't dropping the battery to 8% seriously shorten the life?

I welcome any and all feedback as I think we can all benefit from each others findings. That last thing we would want is to follow instructions, only to find out at a later date that the sole intention of the instructions were to get us to buy batteries faster. Please note, I'm not accusing DJI of this... but I am very skeptic of their recommendations on the topic. And, seeing how they like to pick and choose which threads they allow on their forum, I thought here would be a great place to discuss it, openly and freely. Please feel free to share your advice, experience, and/or any relevant feedback as it relates to dropping the batteries down to 8%

You've probably read of batteries blowing up as well, but they don't always do that. What you may have read are extremely isolated situations where a battery failed. It's more accepted that taking a battery down to 8 percent helps it's electronics readjust to a full charge.

Reactions: williamjamesfpv
You've probably read of batteries blowing up as well, but they don't always do that. What you may have read are extremely isolated situations where a battery failed. It's more accepted that taking a battery down to 8 percent helps it's electronics readjust to a full charge.

Thank you for your input @tcope ... this is good, getting input from everyone :) Liked!

Also, perhaps you just watched Simon's latest video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: bobmyers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31