Battery Maintenance

Reaction score
I've read a few times on here and other forums, to drain the Phantom intelligent battery down to 10 percent, 8 percent, even 5 percent every 20 charges. I'm not little confused about this. I feel like doing this will do more harm than good since the cell voltage might drop too low. I have a battery with 20+ charges so I've been thinking. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

In the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines V1.0 2016.02 On the back page under battery maintenance note number 3 it states and I quote: Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every three months to maintain battery health.

Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every three months to maintain battery health.
That statement is a bit vague, but I'm assuming DJI means the battery should be charged and used at least once every three months. Otherwise, it could discharge down to a level that permanently damages the battery.

That statement is a bit vague, but I'm assuming DJI means the battery should be charged and used at least once every three months. Otherwise, it could discharge down to a level that permanently damages the battery.
Battery maintenance: V1.0 2016.02
As taken from safety guide lines.

1,Never over-discharge, as this may lead to battery cell damage.
2, battery life may be reduced if not used for a long time.
3, Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 3 months
to maintain battery health.

As I read it, batteries don't like to be left unused for long periods of time and should be fully charged and discharged once every three months to maintain battery health.
So, if you do not use your batteries in a minimum of 3 months then you are being advised to store them between 40 to 60% power, check once a month and top up if needed and fully discharge and recharge once every three months.If then you still don't use it discharge back to storage charge.
These are not my words but from dji in the box with every extra battery you purchase. Weather these statements are true and correct is up for you to decide.

The OP is talking about cycling batteries though. I'm assuming the statements you're quoting are only referring to using the battery at least once every three months. I don't think anyone should be cycling the batteries unless the cell voltages are really out of sync when the battery is fully charged.

Reactions: KingDad1985
Hay, the fella just asked what were the thoughts on battery maintenance, Just quoting what it states on the battery care manual under battery maintenance.
Battery storage is a whole new chapter. The battery will go into hibernation mode if unused for a period of time and will need the charger in line and powered to bring it back out of hibernation mode.

The OP is asking about cycling batteries. No? Perhaps I'm mistaken...

The OP is asking about cycling batteries. No? Perhaps I'm mistaken...
Ok well then it would be to cycle the batteries every three months weather you have charged them once or 30 times but as for any set amount of cycles, there is no stated amount so it still answers to question of when the batteries need cycling don't you think?

I've read a few times on here and other forums, to drain the Phantom intelligent battery down to 10 percent, 8 percent, even 5 percent every 20 charges. I'm not little confused about this. I feel like doing this will do more harm than good since the cell voltage might drop too low. I have a battery with 20+ charges so I've been thinking. What are your thoughts?

There is no listed amount of cycle times just that you fully charge and discharge once every three months to maintain battery health. I wouldn't take the battery charge down below 10% or you could permanently damage the battery and greatly reduce its life.

Reactions: photoskyview
it still answers to question of when the batteries need cycling don't you think?
I think you are confused.

As I stated above, I'm assuming DJI is recommending the batteries be used by flying and recharging them at least once every three months. Using a battery and cycling a battery is not the same thing. DJI used to recommend cycling batteries too, but they stopped recommended that a while ago now.

This is so DJI. What does "fully discharge" mean? Was it too hard to give percentage? Because if I didn't know better "Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 3 months to maintain battery health" I would read "Every now and then, but not less then once in 3 months, charge your battery to 100% and then drain that mofo to the ground until you see 0%".

Reactions: sideburn
This is so DJI. What does "fully discharge" mean? Was it too hard to give percentage? Because if I didn't know better "Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 3 months to maintain battery health" I would read "Every now and then, but not less then once in 3 months, charge your battery to 100% and then drain that mofo to the ground until you see 0%".
I read it to be "fully discharged" should be no lower than 10%" as this is the factory set critical battery level and when the bird will auto land. Agreed, "fully discharged" should have a minimum percent remaining. As with any, cell regardless of voltage, there needs to be something left in the cell to react with while charging

I read it to be "fully discharged" should be no lower than 10%" as this is the factory set critical battery level and when the bird will auto land. Agreed, "fully discharged" should have a minimum percent remaining. As with any, cell regardless of voltage, there needs to be something left in the cell to react with while charging

Not so long ago DJI suggested that every 20 charges LiPo is discharged to <8% and then recharged. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I think you are confused.

As I stated above, I'm assuming DJI is recommending the batteries be used by flying and recharging them at least once every three months. Using a battery and cycling a battery is not the same thing. DJI used to recommend cycling batteries too, but they stopped recommended that a while ago now.
I think it is you are the one who is confused, I know the difference between recharging and the cycling of batteries very well. I think I will just let the people make up their own minds on the matter and should they wish for further information I recommend they contact DJI direct. Maybe they might get a more definitive answer and just maybe they will release a up to date information sheet on battery care. I think I will just leave it there.

I think this is the basic advice, but I'd say you probably don't want to override the protections built in for the bird to do this. So flying far away, etc, to get you past the critical point of RTH isn't a good idea. I would assume this is above 10%. I'd say if you do that, you're right in line. Besides, 10% is 90% less than full and I'd say that's pretty darn close to discharged :p

Coming from an rc background with heli's and quad i would never diacharge below 20℅ thats just asking for trouble i have never done their 8 percent discharge and never had a problem. I always discharge to 35 percent if i am not flying. Never leave them fully charged for more them a day. and thats that! Even with all the smart tech in lipo dont feel comfortable discharging to 8 % . Also i never fly below 20℅ rule of thumb with lipos is to put 80℅ back in. Has worked great for me

I think it is you are the one who is confused, I know the difference between recharging and the cycling of batteries very well. I think I will just let the people make up their own minds on the matter and should they wish for further information I recommend they contact DJI direct. Maybe they might get a more definitive answer and just maybe they will release a up to date information sheet on battery care. I think I will just leave it there.
No, msinger answered the question I asked, you sort of went off topic, but I appreciate the info regardless ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj