Battery Loaded For Extended Time - Trouble?

Reaction score
I got back 3 days ago from a trip to South America .... doing some photos for a "gastronomic" book and coming magazine spread.
I didn't really need my P3P, but took it anyway, in case I had the chance to fly over some lush rain forests, catch the elusive Brown Howler Monkey perhaps.
Well, I didn't get that chance as it poured rain every afternoon, just after we finished each day's shoot.
We had bad weather on departure day from Manaus (on a scary Embraer 120 twin prop that my wife swore she wouldn't fly back out on - but after 3 delicious caipirinhas - she did), with delays throughout the day, forcing us to miss our flight from Brasilia to Miami.
We slept in the airport, only to find that our luggage and P3P (packed well in the hard HPRC case), went out to Sao Paulo, and on to Miami early the next AM.
Anyway ...... one battery (charged to 90% still) was loaded in the P3P, and it is expected to finally get here tomorrow - 7 days after the battery was loaded.
Will that battery be OK?

Was it on this plane?
Plane-Crash-1.jpg

jk

Reactions: bobomet
Depending on your auto discharge setting you may find Mr Battery happily discharged himself on his journey. Even if still at 90% he will be fine. While it is well known keeping lipos at ir close to full charge is detrimental to service life and performance a few inevitable deviations from best practice are inevitable.

Why was the battery not in your carry on? In Australia LIPO's are not allowed in checked baggage.

Reactions: bobomet
Depending on your auto discharge setting you may find Mr Battery happily discharged himself on his journey. Even if still at 90% he will be fine. While it is well known keeping lipos at ir close to full charge is detrimental to service life and performance a few inevitable deviations from best practice are inevitable.

Why was the battery not in your carry on? In Australia LIPO's are not allowed in checked baggage.
I packed everything in the large, very hard case. I took 3 batteries, only two would fit in designated spaces. So the 3rd had to ride in the bird.
I felt on this trip it was better to have in all in the best protection possible.

I packed everything in the large, very hard case. I took 3 batteries, only two would fit in designated spaces. So the 3rd had to ride in the bird.
I felt on this trip it was better to have in all in the best protection possible.
I.missed the part about the battery being in the phantom. Im sure its fine but something i avoid. I dont like the idea of the terminals being in constant compressiom or expansion (data and high curremt connections respectively).

Just an update .... the P3P finally arrived on Saturday, Apr 2. Everything was still packed as I last saw it.
And as someone noted in this thread, the batteries had all happily discharged themselves.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik