Battery Life in colder weather?

The battery won't hold a charge as long in cold weather. It would be best to keep the battery in a warm place until you're ready to use it.

The next time I have to fly in cold weather, I'm thinking I might toss one of those little chemical hand warmer bags into the case during transport (I'm often in a remote location) to keep the batteries warm. Haven't tried it yet.

Starting room temperature if I keep my packs next to my body they seem to do pretty good. Unless it's very brutal cold as you use them they'll maintain warmth internally.

But RC Lipo doesn't handle cold or even cool very well. Best performance is found above 80F.

Thanks for the info! So a 10%-20% loss in battery life maybe? Just curious as I haven't had mine out in 30 degree weather yet to see for myself.
Battery life? Do you mean capacity loss?

It’s more complicated than a blanket percentage can relate but yeah 10-20% capacity loss is likely to be expected when used around freezing temperatures.

My tests have shown RC Lipo can discharge close to rated capacity at very cold temperatures but the sag is so much more significant that any BMS/PCM equipment would need lower voltage cutoff values in order to ever extract the energy from cold cells.

The fact that it’s colder seems to prevent the damage of sagging cells below 2.5V or so. But for that reason you should also never, ever attempt to charge cold Lipoly cells. If you do charge when cold and they warm back up the voltage may climb into dangerous territory.

Much to the dismay of my lovely wife, a couple years ago I ran a “battery” of charge/discharge tests using 5Ah RC Lipo cells in my kitchen freezer around 5F. Very enlightening and I often refer back to those tests when evaluating RC Lipo battery performance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik