Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Battery Life has dropped to 98%

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by mark p3s, Mar 14, 2016.

1. mark p3s

Battery Life has dropped to 98% not the charge level but the actual battery life. I know its still pretty healthy and nothing to worry about yet but at what level dos this become a concern 80% 70% 60% ? Battery has had 8 charges and total flight time of 3hrs since October ( don't get much flights in during a Scottish winter )

Any help would be much appreciated on this. Thanks

2. Mark The Droner

IMO, from what I've read on here the past six months, when the battery life is in the mid 80s you really need to keep a sharp eye on it. And when it hits 80 or goes below that, it's probably on its last legs.

3. Tony Cowan

That's why important to do the deep discharge of battery to preserve as long as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. N017RW

Deep discharge is not part of a LiPo maintenance plan.

It may reset some DJI calculation but has nothing to do with battery longevity.

250Flyer and LK8472 like this.
  5. AngryBird

What could happen if battery life is below 80%? Sudden voltage drop during flight? Aircraft`s motors won`t start? Very short flying time?

6. N017RW

#'s 1 & 3.

7. msinger

Approved Vendor

I've read a lot on this topic. All it seems to do is attempt to re-balance the battery cells.

8. LK8472

What is the lowest life % you've seen? My two are at 92 & 96 respectively.

Also yeah I agree that the 8% "deep discharge" every 20 cycles goes against everything I know about lipo chemistry.

9. dg8882

I have 9 and a half hours of flight time and 25 charges on my battery, it is at 94% life. That does seem to be proportional with marks battery. So could it be normal, or are we just treating batteries the wrong way?
    Could the battery sitting in a cold stock room for months from where I bought the drone from cause it to degrade any faster?

10. mark p3s

Yeah You have to wonder how they manage the batteries when these things are sitting in warehouses or even sitting in the shelf in the shops that keep a large stock of drones. I mean when you think how much time could be between the battery being made by DJI, shipped to a dealer, sits on the shelf for so long then finally someone buys it. Thats another thing i was thinking about how long are the can the dealers have a Phantom 3 for example sitting on the shelf ? Surely if it docent sell within a certain amount of time they would need to think about opening it up and replace the battery ?

Only thing i am guilty of is my battery has not been down past 40% most winter, just because whenever i did get the chance to use it i knew it would be getting put away again for another while so i would only run the battery down to 50%-40% to store it for a while but i have never stored it fully charges or let in drop ( when i storage ) lower than 25%.

Does anyone think the P3 battery may come down in price at all now there is a new P4 battery ?

11. Mark The Droner

In this hobby, it seems to me everything comes down in price very rapidly.

12. mark p3s

Tell me about it ! Im really kicking myself for buying my P3S back in September when i see the price of them now ! Plus I have barley used it due to the weather and now my batteries showing wear ( slightly ). But you live and learn, Im not very good at waiting for things when i decide i want them and convinced myself i would get some amazing winter footage !

13. AngryBird

That would be great. Now 150 euros for battery is expensive. It`s 1/4th the price I paid for P3s!

14. 250Flyer

Please stop giving bad advise... You a noobie yourself

LK8472 likes this.
  15. dg8882

I'm really hoping the battery is just not so great since it was sitting in s back room for all of winter. I'm under 18 and can't get a job yet, so I don't have the money to keep buying batteries. I am hoping to pick up another battery by the end of the month.

16. LK8472

Similar stats for my batteries. This maybe normal. I also use Healthy Drones to check battery info, seems they are still performing well.

17. dg8882

I will need to check that out.
    I have also noticed my flight times are lower than they were when I first got my drone. When the battery was fresh, I was getting 24 minute flights, now I'm barely getting 20.

18. Mark The Droner

I hope you're not pushing your battery like that for most flights

19. LK8472

Yeah I usually end my flights somewhere between 30%-40%. Rarely do I ever get to my 30% warning and when I do I bring it home immediately. Only time I got below 20% is intentionally for the DJI recommended reset