Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Battery life and date after deep cycle

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by michalip, Feb 12, 2016.

1. michalip

hi,

Just wanted to report a couple of things I noticed after deep cycle/discharging my battery , down to 2% as per forum recommendations.

As I was reaching around 25 and 35 battery cycles on my two batteries, I decided it was time for a deep cycle. I had a small deviation on the cells voltage readings: something like 4.28 , 4.27 , 4.27 4.26. So I thought best to align them.

I've noticed 3 things and I m not saying the deep cycle caused it ...but they still happened
    1) battery life on one of the two batteries is now on a tragic low of 86% from 97%
    2) for some weird reason, the date on each video/picture file is now approximately 1 week in the past
    3) the cell voltages are showing even worse alignment for example one sell is 4.28 and the other 4.23

if anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it

thanks a lot

2. Oso

Oso

Where did you hear 2%. I don't have extensive LIPO experience prior to the P3, but I think the LIPO old timers would not approve at all of going to 2%. I think they are not even comfortable with the 8% suggested by DJI. You may have ruined your battery, but like I said I don't have extensive experience so I gladly defer to members with more insight.

michalip likes this.
  3. michalip

Yep, let me try to find that thread and link it

4. michalip

5. Mark The Droner

I believe the P3 manual says "to 8%."

Other numbers you might hear from various sources may be better or worse / right or wrong. I think if you're going to make a decision to stray from what the manufacturer recommends, it's at your own risk.

michalip likes this.
  6. Oso

Oso

Thanks for the link from @flyNfrank. It doesn't change my opinion however. Until proven otherwise, I still defer to the vast majority of input here on the forum that warns against going so low.

michalip likes this.
  7. Ed209

Those deviations weren't abnormal.

michalip likes this.
  8. michalip

well my bad it seems
    I'll test it out tomorrow , had one successful flight with it already . I understand its a risk but it seems i ll take it for now and keep an eye on it

9. Mark The Droner

I'll just add...

My P2V manual states that I should deep discharge "below 8%" with no additional comment about how far below. The bulb discharger I use deep discharges my batteries down to 3%. So far I haven't had any problems and the deep discharge did better align the cells. But the P2V batteries are a bit different - they have fewer cells. Also, the P3 is next generation so presumably the engineers knew better than they did in 2013. If I had a P3, I'd be inclined to stop at the level the P3 manual suggests.

Good luck!

michalip likes this.
  10. KyleMaxxUAV

Approved Vendor

Sorry to hijack this thread a little but I have noticed some major deviations on 2 of my batteries .. I posted here Major battery deviations

Is this normal ?? Would a deep cycle help me ?? Any battery experts who wouldn't mind having a quick look would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app