Battery latch failure, could cause crash.

Reaction score
Users of the Phantom Vision and Vision+ have probably noticed that getting the battery in and out of the body of the Phantom can be a little tight. Many have questioned how hard it is to remove the batter after a flight. I think DJI probably makes the battery fit tight for a good reason, and they have a nice, robust latch system to hold that battery in place. Here is where the plot thickens...

A few weeks ago, I installed a battery in my Phantom 2+ while the bird was still in my car, just getting ready for my pre-flight etc. I powered up the Phantom as I moved it to the launch spot, and as I set it down, I heard a small 'click'. Hmmm? What was that? The Phantom continued to have power, but I noticed that a very small space between the battery case and the frame of the Phantom. I pushed the power button to turn it off, and then I was able to remove the battery without pressing the latch release buttons. So the condition was: Power on, but battery not locked in.

This could have been a disaster, but I was lucky and found the issue on the ground. I think I could have flown for a while before the battery rattled loose just enough to cause full shut down in mid flight.

So, be very very sure that your batteries are completely locked and loaded before you power up! It can be very hard to get the little latches to fully engage. Make sure they are.

safe flying,
D86

doug86 said:
I powered up the Phantom as I moved it to the launch spot, and as I set it down,

This is very bad practice. The Phantom should be placed at the take off location before turning on. Moving the Phantom while it is initialising could lead to issues as the IMU goes through its calibration.

yes, xgeek you're right. thank you for the reminder.

I posted a similar observation a while back.

I too noticed the battery would seem to 'bottom out' before the latch clicked.

I had a few friends and relatives insert and remove the battery a few times without telling them why.

I found that about 30% of the time they did not engage the latch but just [instinctively?] pushed until it 'felt' it was fully installed.

It can be easy to get complacent.

Geert said:
Double-D said:
I always listen for the click. Best I visually check as well.

Btw. This is how I remove my battery.
http://youtu.be/XIperEc05Ls

Thanks for sharing the vid, a good and more easy way to remove the battery I think.

Geert./.

I saw the video the other day. So obvious.....der :roll: .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik