BATTERY ISSUES (Early Autoland)??? POST HERE

Re: 25%-40% Battery Warning and Auto Descend??

I have updated to 3.04 and experienced one auto-landing at 30% and another a 26% (per the readout from my IOSD Mini) a couple of days ago, which surprised me. For safety's sake, I am using 30% as my new battery capacity limit and will begin tracking the percentage at which auto-landing is triggered for each of my batteries.

This is at the point of getting alarming. I really hope they find this in the firmware, but i am not total convinced this is the firmware. I know there are some that say this is happening on somewhat new batteries, but are there any people that have around 70 discharges? If this is a firmware thing I hope it gets fixed. If you are having this issue email DJI and i think if they get enough email about this problem they MAY dig into it more.

Was doing a quick test flight today, took off with 75% battery according to the iosd (3 green bars on the battery itself) got 1st warning around 70% and started to auto land at 65%. WTF. Battery only has 19 flights total and says 96% life left

Attached is a screenshot showing battery details, plugged in after a forced landing. Doing a full discharge / recharge now to see if that helps.

Attachments

• p2 batt.jpg
    p2 batt.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 651

Captain Salty said:
Was doing a quick test flight today, took off with 75% battery according to the iosd (3 green bars on the battery itself) got 1st warning around 70% and started to auto land at 65%. WTF. Battery only has 19 flights total and says 96% life left
That is no good!!!! Your battery is really bad!!!! I did a test flight today and mine auto descended at 36%. If seems to get worse and worse after more flights. I am close to 80 discharges, so i will drian down to 8% and fully recharge and see if that helps, but i am not going to keep my hopes up. It has been 7 days since i email DJI North America and i have heard nothing, so i sent a follow up email today to keep on them.

I have been following this thread as I am one of those that is getting short flight times and phantom going into auto land at above 30% .
I am not wanting to bash anything about what version of firmware or the Phantom but just trying to find out the why some of us are getting up to 25 mins flight time .. I have taken all my extras off and getting max of 15 mins on a nearly new battery.
I would be more than happy if my phantom with my gimbal ,hero 3+ , iosd and avl 58 give me 13 mins then gave me about 2 mins to return home to auto land.
I really do enjoy my flights but it spoils the pleasure not knowing when it is going to auto land .
For those of you that are getting 15 + mins that I am jealous ! I have been trying to eliminate where the problem is .. but as we know DJI are not very quick at answering emails and I have a problem as I am English speaking living in Thailand and my dealer is not great at English . Trying to explain to my Thai girlfriend to explain to the dealer is a no goer ! :)
I am trying different options but getting close to sending it all back to my dealer for him to test and don't mind paying for it to see where the problem lies.

If everyone will take a methodical approach to testing and logging details, we should be able to narrow this down substantially sooner than DJI Customer Support would call back. Take the same path Ian led us down for compass declination problems. There are enough of us experiencing premature landing that I am convinced it's a broader problem than a few bad batteries here or there, or a noob not knowing what's going on. Suggest reports include firmware version, total weight and components on board, low battery warning level settings in Assistant, and as much detail on battery voltage, percent left, age, # cycles, flight patterns, etc. I ran one test a few weeks ago (with iOSD and DVR) where I just hovered until below 30%. Bug was a no-show that.flight. It's out there, and it should not take too many flights by too many of us to greatly narrow down probable cause(s).

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
If everyone will take a methodical approach to testing and logging details, we should be able to narrow this down substantially sooner than DJI Customer Support would call back. Take the same path Ian led us down for compass declination problems. There are enough of us experiencing premature landing that I am convinced it's a broader problem than a few bad batteries here or there, or a noob not knowing what's going on. Suggest reports include firmware version, total weight and components on board, low battery warning level settings in Assistant, and as much detail on battery voltage, percent left, age, # cycles, flight patterns, etc. I ran one test a few weeks ago (with iOSD and DVR) where I just hovered until below 30%. Bug was a no-show that.flight. It's out there, and it should not take too many flights by too many of us to greatly narrow down probable cause(s).

Kelly
I agree, that is why i started this post. Here is what i saw today.

Firmware-3.04
Weight-Not sure, but i only have the H3-3D on the craft
Warning levels-1st 25%, 2nd 12%
Battery-Discharged 74 times, life 75%
Flight-Light wind @ 80° F, flying slow and close, battery @ 98%
Auto land-Lights went to second level and auto descended at 36% at 12min, do not have osd, so took craft straight to computer and hooked it up to the assist with oug ever turning if off and it was @ 35% or 11.29 volts

SO,
Should we start the log here or elsewhere ? I flew three batteries last night. My oldest battery went into auto land at 46 % last night. The #2 Battery which has never landed prematurely did it as well at 32%. My #3(newest battery) was fine. Battery 1 went straight to auto land. Battery 2 went into low battery at 32% but did not immediately go to auto land, it went to auto somewhere around 28-24 %, I don't remember exactly where. I was too busy noting that #2 was now acting up as well.
Now the stats....
I am running a P2 non V with a 2D gimbal, Gopro, FPV tx and a FPVLR cloverleaf tx Antenna. I don't have a weight on it all.
Running 1.08 after going to 2. and 3. with no appreciable changes other than the restrictions features.
Battery #1 New with the phantom in February.
72 % life and 86 charges.

Battery #2 New in March
79 % life and 65 charges

Battery #3 New in May
98% life and 8 charges

All batteries have been discharged properly according to the manual, every 20 charge cycles.

It would be great if DJI would respond with some form of designed life expectations for these batteries or anything we all could use to figure out what is going on. Lets be realistic, we are most likely not going to get squat from them as far as software support unless we start Project Dim Sparrow or something.....

My test wasn't so systematic but I thought I'll put it out and see if it's useful.

I started off with my battery going into low batt below 50%, and trying to auto land. After landing and restarting the drone allowed me to fly again, only to experience low batt and auto land shortly. After a few cycles of the same issue, I took the battery down below 10% and recharged (as advised by the DJI application).

The recalibration worked, and I haven't experienced the auto land until 20% for 3 cycles now. However, I notice that the battery level drops extremely fast below 35%. Between 35% and 15% when I eventually land took less than 2 mins.

A bit off topic, but my battery has only 15 cycles, and it's already started to bloat. Is this the case for anyone else? How long do you guys figure I have since the bloating started until my battery dies?

FYI mine is a completely stock P2V

Edit: I tested again today, and it went into low battery and auto land at 48%, 9 mins 30 seconds into the flight. Went back and plugged into my PC, and the application says "non DJI battery" and refused to show me any stats. Took out the battery and reinserted, and it's detected fine.

Just a speculation. Could it be that the low battery and auto land is triggered as a result of the DJI mistakenly "thinking" it's a non original battery?

Battery 1
Firmware-3.04
Weight-Not sure, but have iosd and avl 58 tx
Battery-Discharged 14 times, life 96%
Flight-calm @ 30c, flying slow and close, battery @ 98%
Auto land-Lights went to second level and auto descended at 26% at 17min
serial no 22332

Battery 2
Battery-Discharged 11 times, life 97%
Flight-calm @ 30c, flying slow and close, battery @ 99%
Auto land-Lights went to second level and auto descended at 35% at 14min,
serial No 4062
Also this battery has a difference of 100mv on cell 2 when charged compared to cell 1 and 3.

Have changed warning levels and made no difference . I could live with No 1 battery but I would like to see the slow flashing lights for a couple on mins first rather than going straight to rapid flashing and auto-descent .Also I noticed my No 2 battery is quite a low serial no compared to No1 battery as if it was a early manufactured battery .

Just chiming in...
I have a phantom two vision plus
Running 1.08 firmware version
Suddenly one of my two batteries gives me a low battery warnings at 65% will no longer gain altitude and will be in auto descent mode. This happened over the ocean yesterday. I fully discharged and fully recharge this battery, and tested it at home low over grass. Same problem. My summation is the battery is bad, as my other battery works perfectly. Both batteries have a 92% lifetime rating in the assistant software. Do I have no other choice but to purchase a new battery?

imelda1804 said:
My test wasn't so systematic but I thought I'll put it out and see if it's useful.

I started off with my battery going into low batt below 50%, and trying to auto land. After landing and restarting the drone allowed me to fly again, only to experience low batt and auto land shortly. After a few cycles of the same issue, I took the battery down below 10% and recharged (as advised by the DJI application).

The recalibration worked, and I haven't experienced the auto land until 20% for 3 cycles now. However, I notice that the battery level drops extremely fast below 35%. Between 35% and 15% when I eventually land took less than 2 mins.

A bit off topic, but my battery has only 15 cycles, and it's already started to bloat. Is this the case for anyone else? How long do you guys figure I have since the bloating started until my battery dies?

FYI mine is a completely stock P2V

Edit: I tested again today, and it went into low battery and auto land at 48%, 9 mins 30 seconds into the flight. Went back and plugged into my PC, and the application says "non DJI battery" and refused to show me any stats. Took out the battery and reinserted, and it's detected fine.

Just a speculation. Could it be that the low battery and auto land is triggered as a result of the DJI mistakenly "thinking" it's a non original battery?

As I understand it a battery will bloat if it has been overly discharged.
You say yours is bloating so I would not fly it again. It is not safe to rely on.
Definitely call your dealer or DJI and demand a replacement ASAP.

Just a note: This is the reason I recommend against cutting the plastic off the bottom of the battery to relieve the yaw motor from rubbing as many have advocated. You will have just voided any possible warrantee.

Tom

I tested my new P2 received last Friday, running v3.0, with its new battery and three older (but not that old) P2 batteries, which have the following stats from the Assistant battery page:

#5965 discharged 48 times, 4980 mAh full capacity, 12399 voltage, Cells: 4143, 4146, 4139 mV, percent of life 84%
#6420 discharged 56 times, 4541 mAh full capacity, 12468 voltage, cells: 4158, 4150, 4151 mV, percent of life 81%
#5158 discharged 68 times, 4647 mAh full capacity, 12551 voltage, cells: 4182 4183 4183 mV, percent of life 78%

The new battery holds altitude just fine in both GPS and ATTI mode until 15%, then goes in to autoland. The same P2 with any/all of the above batteries goes into autoland in the mid 40% range. Not happy about that at all. It takes nearly full left stick forward to maintain altitude, and with full left stick forward it barely climbs at about 0.2m/sec. I doubt this is battery strength, but a firmware "feature".

I will try rolling back to 1.08 or 2.0 and see if the same hardware produces a different result.

FWIW, when flying along at 10m/sec with any of my older batteries, if battery % is in the mid 40's or below, the Phantom drops at about 0.7 m/sec, absent any left stick input.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I tested my new P2 received last Friday, running v3.0, with its new battery and three older (but not that old) P2 batteries, which have the following stats from the Assistant battery page:

#5965 discharged 48 times, 4980 mAh full capacity, 12399 voltage, Cells: 4143, 4146, 4139 mV, percent of life 84%
#6420 discharged 56 times, 4541 mAh full capacity, 12468 voltage, cells: 4158, 4150, 4151 mV, percent of life 81%
#5158 discharged 68 times, 4647 mAh full capacity, 12551 voltage, cells: 4182 4183 4183 mV, percent of life 78%

The new battery holds altitude just fine in both GPS and ATTI mode until 15%, then goes in to autoland. The same P2 with any/all of the above batteries goes into autoland in the mid 40% range. Not happy about that at all. It takes nearly full left stick forward to maintain altitude, and with full left stick forward it barely climbs at about 0.2m/sec. I doubt this is battery strength, but a firmware "feature".

I will try rolling back to 1.08 or 2.0 and see if the same hardware produces a different result.

FWIW, when flying along at 10m/sec with any of my older batteries, if battery % is in the mid 40's or below, the Phantom drops at about 0.7 m/sec.

Kelly

Kelly very good description that is exactly what I am getting on my batteries only at around 30% but my batteries are 97% life.

I had taken my Flytrex off since I started to do these tests when i remembered that it logged flight times. I went and logged on to my site and could not believe that my first flight I got 27mins with my H3-2d and gopro camera attached with the same batteries.
I am defiantly going to order a new battery this week and hopefully see if it changes my flight times and not go straight into auto-land and post my result.

Call me paranoid but if this is a firmware "feature", it's a clever way to force early retirement of perfectly good batteries, and generate more revenue through new battery sales. Looking forward to testing earlier FW revs on same physical equipment.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Call me paranoid but if this is a firmware "feature", it's a clever way to force early retirement of perfectly good batteries, and generate more revenue through new battery sales. Looking forward to testing earlier FW revs on same physical equipment.

Kelly

Kelly I hear what you are saying but why is it that other flyers are getting great results ... and using the same setup and firmware as we are. ? I was hoping that it might be a bad batch of batteries or even bad chargers .. just something that we could identify and rectify so I can get out with confidence to fly with out thinking when should I return home to land .?

One way or another, we'll get to the bottom of this...

Kelly

wkf94025 said:

Kelly
Haha, that would be borderline fraud in my eyes. All i know is my 75 discharge (75% life) battery gets a flight time of just under 12min before it goes into auto land around 35%-40% and my almost new battery with only about 4 discharges flys to just over 15min to 25% and does not auto land (do not go to my 14% limit). I can remember i used to get 17min to 27% when i was on firmware 2.0-3.03 and really started to see this battery issue show up when going to 3.04. If it is firmware related, then it is time to start a "Project Dying Sparrow". :x

I have downloaded Slinger's v1.08 firmware and will be installing that at first light tomorrow, and flying four batteries. If they behave same as the new one (autolanding only when 15% or below), then we indeed have another jihad on our hands.

Kelly

Your not the only one with these problem's. I've read in numerous forums of people's P2 batteries taking a dump at around 70-80cycles, for a $160usd proprietary battery your looking at about $2usd a flight...

Which leads to the birth of Nuke RC; Leading the resistance from overpriced Corporate RC suppliers. We are the Anarchy of RC. We have copied the P2 battery, fixed the terminal connection issues, and guarantee typical cycle before the battery goes bad. We spent alot of time making sure this battery wasn't a dud like the copy B*nggood Tt*ngr batteries that were dieing in mid-flight. This battery is made at the same Factory who OEM's for some very well-known Brands in the RC industry, so the cell's are good. Some Customer's have already received Batteries from the first-batch sent out and have given good feedback. You can buy 2 Nuke Rc Batteries @ $72.99 for the price of one DJI Original.

Check out some links below to see what we are about;

P2 Battery Product Page; http://nukerc.com/phantom-2-clone-li-po-battery.html

P2 Battery Blog Page; http://nukerc.com/blog/cat/new/post/Big ... ming-soon/

Nuke RC: About us; http://nukerc.com/about-us

dji_phantom_2_clone_5400_lipo_battery.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers