Battery Issues ( concern )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First post.. I have had a Phantom 2 with a HD-3D for a few weeks now and all seems OK.. What is worrying me is the battery issue lots of people keep mentioning and posting videos on YouTube about. With a GoPro dangling from it, the Phantom is a pricey bit of kit to be putting into the Sky. Lets face it, the battery is the single thing that you put the life of the Phantom and its payload in its hands, that fails and you are likely to be a bit unhappy.

I have read almost everything I can related to the issue and am none the wiser nor less worried about flying it further that arms length. One thing I did come across regarding auto-land issues was this:

https://www.dji.com/info/releases/dji-r ... m-2-vision - More so the section that says - "A new level of protection is a hidden third low battery threshold in addition to the 1st and 2nd level warnings. This uses 10.65V as its threshold. Both this voltage threshold and the 2nd Level Low Battery Warning will trigger auto-landing. Altitude can be maintained if necessary by pulling up on the throttle."

Could some of these issues be because of this 10.65v go home feature ( instead of just a beeping happening or lights flashing )?

Enough waffling, I guess I like us all will just need to take the gamble every time we fly the Phantom until someone comes about with a proper answer.

Oh, and here is my first video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjz-QGHANgI

A large proportion of issues seem to happen when people fly with a low battery charge, in which situation a sudden violent manoeuvre often seems to result in a sudden loss of altitude (I've experienced this myself - I was flying about 10' off the ground with about a 25% battery charge, did a sharp turn, and the Phantom just lost height and flew - not fell - into the ground). That's why I now always make it a rule to land when I get the flashing red lights at the initial 30% charge battery warning. I also make sure I have a height sufficient to give a decent safety margin should a problem occur: height is safety.

all you can do is follow the guidelines people have stated here . good luck

To reiterate, what I would say is that you should always fly at a height that's sufficient to give you time to react should something go wrong. When starting out, there's a natural tendency to think that flying low means you're less likely to damage your expensive new toy if anything goes wrong, but in fact the opposite is true - flying low means that if there's a problem, you don't have time to do anything about it before your Phantom hits the deck. These days I always fly at a height of at least 10m so that, should something happen, I have a little bit of thinking time to be able to react to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik