Battery is a little swollen

Reaction score
So I was looking at my two batteries last night. One of them is definitely a little bit swollen. If I squeeze it, it has a bit of a squishy feeling to it. My other battery doesn't have this, it feels solid. So I'm wondering if maybe one of the cells has a leak in it? It still works, but I don't feel confident flying with it like that. Anybody know what the warranty is on the batteries?

I definitely wouldnt use it again, your phantom could just drop from the sky or it could become a very serious fire hazard. It could just combust. The first thing they will ask is, has it been in a crash? My dealer swapped out a faulty battery I had but thats not to say yours will but worth a try.

It's not the flying that would concern me; its the charging. From what I understand, a swollen, squishy cell is an early sign of impending failure and it is most likely to fail (explosively) on charging.

I can get some pics tonight. It's not so swollen that it doesn't fit, but you can tell it's not right. Anybody know what the warranty on the battery would be? Just wondering if I should bother sitting on hold with DJI for hours or just buy another battery.

I had one puff up, called the official DJI seller i purchased it from, told me, sorry...battery is only under warranty for 30 days...but he was HAPPY to sell me a new one....HA

My battery is a bit swollen as well,

I'm not able to simply visit my dealer cause its a 2 hour flight.

Are your battery's swollen as similar as mine ?

Attachments

• IMG_20140622_133003 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_20140622_133003 (640x480).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 3,627
Some how you overstressed (discharged) the battery.

Supposedly the 'smart battery' component of this unit is supposed to protect you from that but... ???

I am skeptical of this whole 'smart' system.

300 flights on a LiPo???

I have the same issue with one of my batteries, and I am going to contact DJI. Battery warranty is one year.

mike buunschoten said:

That's exactly what mine is like.

BobUnplugged said:
It has changed. The warranty is three months on the battery.

The now current warranty should not be relevant. The warranty that was current when you bought it is the governing warranty.

mikeve said:
BobUnplugged said:
It has changed. The warranty is three months on the battery.

The now current warranty should not be relevant. The warranty that was current when you bought it is the governing warranty.

True, but I have no documentation to the contrary. I just have the info on the website. I contacted B&H and they said they could not cover it because the warranty was 30 days. I referred them to the website, they acquiesced and sent me an RMA authorization.

Go to dji.com/service. Then click the WARRANTY line almost at the bottom of the page. You will see the 3 months thing there.

UAV Direct told me 30 days, just also found out looking at the details, motors are not covered....look near the bottom of the page in the link

https://www.uavdirect.com/returns.asp

I just sent them the link where it states 3 months, so waiting to hear what they say.

mike buunschoten said:

I can't see it is swollen, only see part of the cell sinking - shrinking ?

My battery is swollen just like the image shows, and I believe I have lost time in the air.

I recently added a transmitter and an IOSD and a GPS finder now I fly for only 12-13 min. use to fly with only the camera and gimbal for 20 min.

Afraid of this battery though mine seems to be bloated, like air has blown it up, would anyone have an answer as to the safety of bloated Batteries ?

Just has a flight and got the usual battery warning which is set at 30%. Tried to remove the battery but it was stuck, eventually got it out and noted that it was quite hot [not unusual] but quite swollen. Checked the battery status and found that it was still at 56% and all three cells seemed balanced. It has only had 12 cycles and no deep discharges to date, what are the chances of getting a warranty replacement from DJI? It was purchased in December last year from a Thai dealer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers