Battery Help

Reaction score
On Monday, August 15 I sent my Phantom 3 Pro back to DJI for a factory repair. I have two flight batteries and one has two solid green bars and the other has one solid green bars.

I was wondering if I have to do anything with my batteries to keep them safe and in operating condition.

Your help would be most appreciated, thank you.

Bud

Lipos like to be kept at about a 50% charge. So I'd give some charge to that lower charged battery with the single green bar.

Personally, I like to keep my idle batteries at two solid green bars with the third green bar blinking.

THank you very much for the help. I will charge it up to that point.

Bud

Lipos like to be kept at about a 50% charge. So I'd give some charge to that lower charged battery with the single green bar.

Personally, I like to keep my idle batteries at two solid green bars with the third green bar blinking.

Last edited:
I was wondering if I have to do anything with my batteries to keep them safe and in operating condition.
When the second battery light is not illuminated or blinking, you should charge it until the 3rd lights start blinking. At that point, you can store it for about 2 months before checking it again.

Not really addressing your specific problem, however for future reference or if you can find a friend with a P3 you can use to D/C:

Lipos like a storage state of 3.80 - 3.85 V per cell.
Usually that ends up being 44%-50% on these Phantom 3 batteries. I use the setting to display the cell voltage in the GO app to make sure that I'm where I want to be when I get home. (I usually land with about this amount of charge remaining anyway.) That being said, I used to do the 2 solid lights with the 3rd blinking rule, but after I found that actually wasn't representing the proper storage voltage I now take a reading from each of my batteries in the quad after flight (a few minutes after landing to take as much load off the battery as possible) or plug into quad after charging to what I think is storage to double check the voltage. It's a little time consuming, but it's worth keeping those pricey batteries in peak condition.

This is why the automatic D/C feature is helpful, but not a perfect solution. It will D/C to about 65% and as I stated above, that isn't anywhere close to storage voltage although significantly better than remaining fully charged for long time periods.

I rely on principles of battery chemistry rather than DJI instruction to guide my ideal battery care.
Also, if I know I'm going to fly again within 48 hrs, I'll allow myself to go down to about 20% - 25% on a flight. Otherwise I try to land at 45% so I don't have to bother with recharging up to storage voltage.

Last edited:
This is why the automatic D/C feature is helpful, but not a perfect solution. It will D/C to about 65% and as I stated above, that isn't anywhere close to storage voltage.
IMHO, I wouldn't worry about trying to D/C batteries down to some LiPo battery industry standard. DJI must D/C them down to 65% for a reason.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help. Thank you, and now I have the information I need I feel much more comfortable about storing my Phantom 3 batteries.

You folks are just outstanding, and it's such a relief to find great help up here for these birds.

Thank you all, very much.

Bud

When the second battery light is not illuminated or blinking, you should charge it until the 3rd lights start blinking. At that point, you can store it for about 2 months before checking it again.

IMHO, I wouldn't worry about trying to D/C batteries down to some LiPo battery industry standard. DJI must D/C them down to 65% for a reason.
Yes. I suspect DJI is taking into account the natural discharge of a battery. For example, if DJI discharged down to 50%, the battery would slowly head for a low charge. By discharging to 65%, it slowly heads for a 50% charge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.