Battery error messege@ 75%, then crash

A bit strange but somewhat related...I am fairly well versed with lipo batteries. i had 3 batteries all charged up and ready to go but the weather wasn't cooperating so the batteries sat in my bag for a few days.

When I did fly this past weekend, I noticed that the batteries said 98% when I was taking off but the actual cells were in the 3.78v or so range. I was expecting them to be more like 4.15v.

I kept a really close eye on the voltage as I was flying and I took it easy to reduce the risk of voltage sag from rapid acceleration, etc.

I eventually landed all of my flights with around 60-70% battery remaining (about 10 minute or so flights) and even as the battery drained, the voltage did not drop much (was above 3.7v when landed).

I thought it was odd but didn't think much of it until I read through this today.

The plane landed here due to low battery. Why it was such a low voltage is odd and usually is the result of auto discharge but I didn't think it started to do that until 10 days. I was definitely at less than 10 days (more like 4 days or so).
The only thing I trust is the actually reading on each of the cells and even then, I'm a bit suspicious. Yesterday I had a battery show a yellow cell at 75% total. Temps 10C, nothing really stressing on the flight. At that point I brought it back and will now be really careful of that battery for a while.

Batteries are the weak link of everything electronic from cell phones to Boeing 787's. DJI needs to work on its voltage management a bit more. In the meanwhile, be careful.

Reactions: Phantom George
So this was a battery failure? I'm not an expert but the battery failures I have seen previously were a little different than this..

There was an obvious problem at 4:13 were there were compass issues. Related to some issue that caused the bird to be out of control and a compass error resulted. But it flew after that for a substantial distance. Battery failures I have seen resulted in complete shutdown immediate crash. And if it was the battery issue/shutdown why is there log information after the problem occurred.

Hope you get your AC back... Send it in when you find it. Should be better than just sending the logs.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

To meme the Dos Equis commercial.....

I don't always fly, but when I do, I top up the Cessna's fuel tanks and the Pro's batteries.

The only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Stay thirsty my friend.

Reactions: Excavator99
Yep looks like you had a full battery that sat for a few days waiting for warm weather. Battery needed recharged right before flying
Battery does not discharge for 10 days, unless you change this value. I have used batters that have been sitting for 5 days--3 of them, no problems. Have done this a number of times, no issues. They are at 97-99% when I use them. Always check the condition of the battery before each flight. Good luck with this problem -- DJI is a very fair company, just be honest with them.

Battery does not discharge for 10 days, unless you change this value. I have used batters that have been sitting for 5 days--3 of them, no problems. Have done this a number of times, no issues. They are at 97-99% when I use them. Always check the condition of the battery before each flight. Good luck with this problem -- DJI is a very fair company, just be honest with them.

Just a note: I fly in 90+ weather and 15 below weather. If you do the same, a battery that indicates "full" may seem so until a load is placed on it pulling the voltage low enough instantly and causing a problem especially in cold weather.

Prudent to top off if batteries have been setting around a few days.

Reactions: kirk2579

that I believe is the issue, that % number your are looking at MAY be wrong and lower than you suspect.
FW changes have made things different, so what once worked fine 6 months ago MAY not now!

as usual it is always the users call what to do /not do.

good luck and have fun flying.

After a year + flying many phantoms I TRUST the quad itself, not so much the batteries!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers