Battery error messege@ 75%, then crash

If you post the .txt file we can pull off the last gps coordinates to help you search for it. Also, if you play it back in DJI go app you can see its location on a map. Then goto same spot, swapping between Google maps and the DJI go log....

Reactions: Drone Wolf 69
The aircraft should be somewhere close to the end of the yellow line, one of the houses on the map. Id go and knock on a few doors. The last event was auto land, its not like it flew on after a signal loss. I suspect your chances of recovery are good. And with the aircraft dat file and you may have a good case with DJI. A battery with low cycles, good charge at takeoff and one cell collapsing in flight. It also looks like a relatively fast temoerature increase also suggesting a rapid and unusual failure in cell 1.

Yes I'm gonna do that , my batt was just charged 98% before takeoff and if you look 70% for landing everything looked good before take off . When your flying I don't have display up for the 4 cell readings I trusted the battery display and it said fully charged , 4 bars lite up when I pressed button on batt.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 330
Never trust the battery just because the 4 bars light up - that could be anything from 75% +

Top tip - charge your battery till the 4 bar lights go out & then turn the battery on - Plug the battery into your charger with the lights on & it will charge itself to 100%.

When I 'fully charge' till the lights go off it always reads in the app 98% - follow the above tip & you will have fully charged batteries @ 100%

Have the battery voltage showing in the app & use one of the C1/ C2 buttons under the remote so you can easily toggle up the voltages & check a few times during flight - usually take off, mid flight & just before landing

Try to be close to the ground (landing) before your 1st voltage cell gets to 3.4v

Hope you find it btw

Last edited:
Reactions: Karthikdoc
Thankyou for your help , but again I have done everything as per the owners manual I don't see what I've done wrong I had 98% on my iPad display and everything was good on my display . I just did the battery update too.

I looked again at the log and how can I have all my cell be 3.0-2.9 and the batt display says 70% when landed? You recommend landing before it hits 3.4 , is it possible something to do with update , never had any problems until I did this last updaye

The battery error described sounds like the 1.5 firmware flaw to me. Are you sure you weren't on 1.5?. That version reads battery cell voltages lower than reality, leading to sudden premature emergency landings, and sometimes total power shutdown mid flight.

Last edited:
Never trust the battery just because the 4 bars light up - that could be anything from 75% +

Top tip - charge your battery till the 4 bar lights go out & then turn the battery on - Plug the battery into your charger with the lights on & it will charge itself to 100%.

When I 'fully charge' till the lights go off it always reads in the app 98% - follow the above tip & you will have fully charged batteries @ 100%

Have the battery voltage showing in the app & use one of the C1/ C2 buttons under the remote so you can easily toggle up the voltages & check a few times during flight - usually take off, mid flight & just before landing

Try to be close to the ground (landing) before your 1st voltage cell gets to 3.4v

Hope you find it btw
so you have to do this everytime you charge the batteries, got to admit never noticed that once the lights go out it only charges to 98% im sure without doing what you said it shows up on my app as 100% but im not 100% positive (pardon the pun.)

So from what it looks like should dji be responsible for what happened , was I negligent in any way?

So from what it looks like should dji be responsible for what happened , was I negligent in any way?
What firmware were you running?

If you can't find the drone it's unlikely they'll do anything. But if you were on 1.5, and send in the drone they might do something for you. Not sure.

I looked again at the log and how can I have all my cell be 3.0-2.9 and the batt display says 70% when landed? You recommend landing before it hits 3.4 , is it possible something to do with update , never had any problems until I did this last updaye
If you havent already go knock on a few doors at those houses where it looks like it auto landed.

Having the drone in hand will increase your chances with DJI if it is a hardware failure.

From the healthy drones log it looks like cell 1 collapsed at 70+%. The battery had a low number of charge cycles and reported close to full charge at takeoff.

It looks like a DJI problem but getting a no charge replacement without providing the phantom for evaluation is probably unlikely. For all DJi knows the ctaft survived the autoland and you still have it.

They will pribably offer you 30% discount off a new one if you cant recover it.

Good luck....

I'm gonna go around and look again today , it snowed 2 feet the day before I lost it so all terian covered by snow and this thing is white .

A bit strange but somewhat related...I am fairly well versed with lipo batteries. i had 3 batteries all charged up and ready to go but the weather wasn't cooperating so the batteries sat in my bag for a few days.

When I did fly this past weekend, I noticed that the batteries said 98% when I was taking off but the actual cells were in the 3.78v or so range. I was expecting them to be more like 4.15v.

I kept a really close eye on the voltage as I was flying and I took it easy to reduce the risk of voltage sag from rapid acceleration, etc.

I eventually landed all of my flights with around 60-70% battery remaining (about 10 minute or so flights) and even as the battery drained, the voltage did not drop much (was above 3.7v when landed).

I thought it was odd but didn't think much of it until I read through this today.

The plane landed here due to low battery. Why it was such a low voltage is odd and usually is the result of auto discharge but I didn't think it started to do that until 10 days. I was definitely at less than 10 days (more like 4 days or so).

so you have to do this everytime you charge the batteries, got to admit never noticed that once the lights go out it only charges to 98% im sure without doing what you said it shows up on my app as 100% but im not 100% positive (pardon the pun.)

Mine always show 98% - unless I turn it on & reconnect to the charger. Not sure why

Mine always show 98% - unless I turn it on & reconnect to the charger. Not sure why
but even though its shows as 98% is the battery fully charged as dji dont mention anything about the procedure you do to get it showing 100%?

I know the phantom 2 manual suggests connecting batteries in the on setting to top off when they are charged above a certain percentage.

Im not convinved this is a good practice with the p3- at least i am not comfortable doing it.

There is nothing special about the p3 charger, it is a regulated DC power supply. The charging smarts are all inside the battery including monitiring, balancing and switching between constant current and constant voltage at the appropriate time to ensure a long helathy life.

When we turn a battery on, some internal device, probably a MOSFET transistor, connects the terminals to the cells. Im wondering if to then conneft to the charger in the on position exposes the cells directly to the applied voltage of thecharger (ie bypassing the charging circuitry, at least momentarily). This would be bad. LIPO chemistry is very intolerant to over voltage during charge. Worst case scenario is cell rupture and fire with best case outcome being greatly reduced usable life.

Purely thinking out aloud here. I will at some stage dissasemble a pack and do some measurements.

I would think there is a way to get your exact coordinates and you'll find your bird. I see ISLIP, so yeah, with all that snow, lol. Hopefully the snow cushioned the landing, but no snow in your bird. But at least the water is fresh. I'd make sure the electronics are ok before you fly again. Pay attention to the ESC's. You might have to remove the NAZA and give it a whack to work properly (google it) it worked for me once with a Phantom 1 that took a spill in the drink.

I once had a similar issue. Took my P3A out for a 2 mile flight up in the White Mountains from my cabin to the top of a peak about 1000' above me (and 3 mile away). I left after a full charge (97%) but once I got 2 miles out I got a battery warning. I panicked and flicked it into RTH. It fortunately came home at about 75% throttle and landed at about 50% battery remaining. I never quite figured out what caused it. I figured maybe the cells were getting hot (despite it being about 45 deg F at the time outside), I was pushing the bird at 100%.

Keep us posted if you find it.

I have a interesting idea.
CONTACT DJI and ask them.

only they can answer your question.
we can only guess and guide and offer ideas why you lost it.

as far as batteries, currently different fw and batteries are not playing well together so rather than rely on 4 green lights on battery etc.
It is suggested to top off battery prior to flights if sitting for a few days.
good , bad, fair, or not . it does help to do so and if it keeps my quad from battery failure I will do so.

good luck!

Reactions: Phantom George

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj