Battery error, cell damaged

ack

Reaction score
Yesterday, after 1 minute of flight I ´v got the Battery error message. I looked at the battery info and the first cell pictute was empty and 0 Volts. I pushed RTH and phantom reacts normally and turned home. On the second look on screen all four cells were empty with no voltage readings. Phantom came back to me and I howered for a minute, tryied to go full up and everything looked normal. The battery reading was back again on all 4 cells.. Later I looked at the log, the battery showed 100% all the time till the error message. The indicators on the batt changed between normal reading and all 4 leds blinking. In the CSV the first cell dropped to 3, 02 Volts, but then gone to normal level.

Seems to be connections issue.

I wouldn't fly it any higher then out of my reach until getting an issue like that resolved. This is how we usually see threads where someone was getting warning messages but chose not to take them serious enough.

So..if the battery is junk, get it out of there and replace it before anymore flights. If the app is corrupt, then re-download the app and get a handle on this issue. Good luck!

Reactions: yorlik
Had a similar thing happen 2 days ago. Battery was at 100%. Started up, hovered for 30'sec to make sure all was stable, then sent it out over the beach & starting over water at maybe 75' high and got a "Battery cell" and brought it back quick!
Continued flying with other batteries just fine.
Testing that one now. While on ground it's looks fine. But after hovering for a few minutes I took it up over my house and immediately one cell went Yellow in the Go app.
The voltage is only .03v less than the highest cell. But do I toss it? Or can they be rebuilt?
5f68d5e5d734bcec058e9d85bb3369f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had deep cycled it at maybe 20-22 cycles. And and doing that right now- taking it to 8% then back up.
If it still does this do I need to scrap it???
I usually don't keep them charged at 100-% unless using hem for several days in a row. If I know I won't be flying I keep them at 50-60%
Have them set to auto discharge for 2-3 days. This one only shows 32 full charge cycles.
Not that old....

First let's define a deep discharge.

First, fully charge the battery. Then discharge it to 8% minimum. Then fully charge it again.

Once that's done...

IMO, you should see four balanced cells.

If they're balanced, fly with it a few times and keep a close eye on it. Don't fly far and don't fly over water until you've run it a few times with no issues.

If the cells are not balanced, I would retire the battery or just use it for bench tests or calibration, etc. No flying.

MHO.

Thx marknmd,

Seems like good advice. No way to replace cells, rebuilt the battery?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20